These Gingerbread Cupcakes with Pumpkin Frosting are the perfect fall holiday dessert recipe.
Here you’ll find the most delicious gingerbread cupcakes. Gingerbread is the most delicious flavor, and it’s most welcome as soon as fall arrives!
A creamy pumpkin frosting tops these gingerbread cupcakes. Choose some cute cupcake liners to serve at a festive Halloween party. Or wrap a ribbon (as pictured) around plain white papers.
Gingerbread Cupcakes with Pumpkin Frosting
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Dutch process cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup hot milk
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup unsweetened pumpkin puree
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar (more, if you prefer to pipe on the frosting instead of spreading)
PREPARE THE CUPCAKES:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin tins with cupcake liners. Spray the cupcake liners lightly with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to combine the butter and sugar. Add the molasses and the egg and egg yolk.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, cloves and salt. In a small bowl, dissolve the baking soda in the hot milk. Add the flour mixture to the butter/sugar mixture and stir until just combined. Stir in the hot milk mixture. Pour the batter evenly into the cupcake papers.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until slightly springy to the touch. Allow to cool a few minutes in the pan and remove to a rack to cool.
PREPARE THE FROSTING:
- In a large bowl, use an electric hand mixer to combine the frosting ingredients. Spread onto cooled cupcakes, or pipe on with a piping bag and a tip.
- *To make things even easier, purchase a boxed gingerbread mix, prepare the cupcakes and frost w/ the homemade pumpkin frosting (these cupcakes will be better than the boxed mix though!)
- *If your frosting is too thin, add more powdered sugar. If it's too thick, add more pumpkin puree.