Try this easy recipe for Gingerbread with Milk Chocolate Chunks.
This is an easy gingerbread cake recipe. Milk chocolate chunks are swirled throughout the batter to create a nice, new flavor for gingerbread. The combination of ginger and chocolate is a sweet and delicious idea!
Try this cake for your next winter holiday gathering. It also makes a good morning cake with coffee too!
Top individual slices with a generous dollop of freshly whipped and sweetened cream!
Gingerbread with Milk Chocolate Chunks
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup light molasses
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup very finely minced, peeled ginger
- 6 tablespoons (¾ stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- ½ cup water
- 4 ounces milk chocolate, cut into small pieces, or milk chocolate chips
- whipped cream or creme fraiche, for serving (optional)
- Position rack in lower third of the oven. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9 inch square or 9 inch round pan with nonstick spray, or line with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and soda. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the brown sugar, molasses and honey. Whisk in the egg and ginger.
- In a saucepan, heat the butter and water until butter is melted. Whisk the hot mixture into the honey mixture. Add the flour mixture and stir until smooth. Stir in the chocolate. Scrape the batter into the pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean (with the exception of melted chocolate attaching itself to the toothpick). Bake 25 to 30 minutes for a square cake and a little longer for a round cake. Cool the cake on a rack in the pan. Invert the cake, remove the pan and peel off the paper liner (if using).
- Serve the cake right side up, warm or at room temperature, plain or with a dollop of whipped cream.