This pan-fried Gouda Stuffed Chicken is topped with a delicious fresh apple pan sauce.
If you are looking for a really delicious and impressive dinner recipe that is super easy to make, this is it! I’ve included a description of how to make this Gouda Stuffed Chicken below. There is a short list of ingredients needed, and the apple pan sauce is such a wonderful addition to the cheesy chicken!
- chicken breasts
- smoked Gouda
- all purpose flour
- salt and pepper
- canola or vegetable oil
- chicken broth
- apple cider
- Granny Smith apples
- fresh rosemary, for garnish!
Use Granny Smith apples for this recipe! The tart flavor of a Granny Smith apple is a good match with Smoked Gouda. And Granny Smiths will hold their shape when cooking in the skillet and won’t fall apart into an applesauce-like consistency.
How to make Gouda Stuffed Chicken:
Use a knife to make a “pocket” down the middle of each chicken breast. Divide the smoke Gouda cheese among the pockets. Dip each stuffed chicken breast in a mixture of flour, salt and pepper.
Heat oil in a skillet. Cook the chicken breasts on each side until done. Remove the cooked chicken from the pan and put into a warm oven while you make the sauce.
How to make Apple Pan Sauce:
To a skillet, add chicken broth, apple cider and garlic. Simmer for 10 minutes until the mixture becomes thick and syrupy. Add honey and apple slices. Cook an additional 5 minutes to soften the apples and coat them thoroughly with the sauce.
Serve the gouda stuffed chicken topped with the apple pan sauce. It’s such a delicious fall dinner!
Cheese and apples have had a long-standing, good relationship, and it works here too. Melted Gouda cheese happens to be a really delicious pairing with the apple pan sauce.
Weight Watchers Friendly:
This recipe is on the lighter side. It can work on the WW eating plan, if you happen to be following that. Count 6 purple or blue points or 9 green points for one serving of stuffed gouda chicken topped with the apple pan sauce.
If you’re a lover of smoked Gouda cheese, you will definitely like to try my Bacon Bit Burgers with Gouda and Smothered Onions and this Chicken Apple and Smoked Gouda Salad, or add your favorite Gouda to a Fall Charcuterie Board!
Gouda Stuffed Chicken with Apple Pan Sauce
GOUDA STUFFED CHICKEN:
- Four 6-ounce skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 3 ounces smoked Gouda, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons vegetable or canola oil
- 1 cup fat free chicken broth
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 medium Granny Smith apples, cored and sliced (no need to peel)
- fresh rosemary sprigs, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F.
PREP THE CHICKEN:
- Cut a horizontal slit through the thickest portion of each breast to form a pocket; divide the cheese evenly among the pockets. Dredge both sides of stuffed chicken breasts in flour that has been sprinkled with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, and cook 4 minutes on each side or until done. Remove the chicken from the skillet; place on a rimmed baking sheet and keep warm in preheated oven.
MAKE THE APPLE PAN SAUCE:
- To a skillet, add the broth, apple cider, and garlic; bring to boil, and cook 10 minutes or until thick and syrupy, stirring occasionally. Add the honey and apple slices, and cook an additional 5 minutes or until the apples are tender, stirring to coat the apple slices with the sauce.
- Spoon the apple pan sauce over the warm chicken; garnish w/ rosemary, if desired.
- *If you're not worried about counting calories in this recipe, you can certainly use larger chicken breasts and more cheese.