Here’s a dinner recipe my family went crazy for: Grilled Pork Burrito Bowls with Avocado- Lime Crema
Do you love Mexican food? Do you crave it pretty much every day like I do?? If you’re into burritos, you’ll dig this deconstructed burrito recipe– where you’ll find all of the ingredients of a rockstar burrito… in a bowl instead. I do enjoy a classic burrito wrapped in a big ‘ol giant flour tortilla, but sometimes you just need to give your body a break from that sort of thing and go with a new flow.
This recipe is so easy to make. Take a peek at all of the ingredients pictured above. If there’s anything you’re not into, substitute it with something else. But these are all the ingredients that make this burrito bowl “rockstar,” so don’t change too much!
The pork used for the recipe is an already-marinated pork. You can use any brand. Or you can simply use a pork loin filet (about 2 pounds), and season it with some taco seasoning before grilling.
I speed up the grilling time by butterflying the pork tenderloin into one flat, thinner piece. It grills very quickly that way, and it turns out to be as juicy and flavorful as can be. Easy!
I pack these burrito bowls with our favorites: lettuce, tomato, cheese, black beans, rice and fresh salsa. They’re garnished with a lime for squeezing and a generous drizzle of a simple avocado- lime crema (basically, a jazzed-up guacamole).
You can include a few tortilla chips for dunking or eating too, if you have a family that demands that sort of thing (um…. my family!) Since this recipe can be prepared in less than 30 minutes, that makes it a perfect weeknight dinner that is totally family friendly. Who doesn’t love burritos??
Grilled Pork Recipes:
- Grilled Pork and Peaches
- Grilled Pork Tacos with Tropical Slaw
- Spicy Grilled Pork Tenderloin
- Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Blueberry Sauce
Grilled Pork Burrito Bowls with Avocado Lime Crema
- 2 pounds Pork Loin Filet (marinated or plain- see notes below)
- 1 cup (dry) rice, cooked according to package directions
- 2 cups chopped iceberg lettuce
- 2 cups chopped tomato
- 1⅓ cups shredded cheese
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 cup fresh salsa
- 1 large lime, sliced into wedges
- 1 large avocado, mashed
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ½ teaspoon freshly squeezed lime juice (use a wedge from above)
- Prepare the pork: Take the pork loin out of the package. Butterfly the pork loin, cut it open down the middle to create a thinner full piece (see photos). Grill the pork loin until cooked through.
- While the pork is grilling, prepare the avocado-lime crema: Mix avocado, sour cream and lime juice in a bowl. Sprinkle with a little salt.
- Assemble the burrito bowls: Divide the rice, lettuce, tomato, cheese and beans between four bowls. When the pork is finished grilling, chop it up and divide it between the bowls. Sprinkle each bowl with cilantro, a scoop of fresh salsa and garnish with a lime. Drizzle the avocado crema on top (scoop into a zip baggie, snip the edge and drizzle) or just serve a spoonful of the crema on each burrito bowl.
- The pork loin may be roasted instead of grilled.
- If using a plain pork loin, sprinkle a package of taco seasoning all over it to season.
- Change it up! Prepare a box of Spanish rice in place of regular white or brown rice, or try using quinoa instead.