Today’s recipe is for beer lovers… Honey Mustard Pale Ale Chicken
This recipe comes from The Craft Beer Cookbook by Jackie Dodd. This is a book full of delicious recipes featuring craft beer. This recipe is a simple chicken cooked in a mustard-beer sauce. When I told my husband what I was making for dinner, he was REALLY excited. He loves beer!
Jackie’s recipe utilizes chicken thighs. Normally I love to use chicken thighs in a recipe, but I don’t buy them unless I can get them somewhere where they are good quality and not so laden with fatty pieces. I wasn’t able to use thighs in this recipe, so I opted for chicken breasts instead. I cut them horizontally into thin pieces so they’d all be about the same size. The chicken is seared in a small amount of butter…
… on both sides.
The mustard beer sauce is whisked together and then poured on top of the chicken. Then you just put the chicken, pan and all into the oven to finish it off.
Serve it over rice with a little sauce drizzled over, add a vegetable, and serve with a beer if you’d like! Just for the record, I’m not really a “beer person.” I’m more of a wine person, and I will drink an occasional light beer on a very hot and sweltering day.
I do really enjoy this dish though- the beer and the mustard combine to make a nice flavored sauce. And my beer-loving husband, of course, thinks it was the best thing ever. 🙂
Recipes Using Beer:
- Beer Marinated Chicken Tacos
- Chipotle Beer Shrimp with Pasta
- Guinness Beer Cheese Dip
- Cheddar Chive Beer Bread
- Spicy Beer Pickles
Honey Mustard Pale Ale Chicken
- ⅓ cup Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ cup pale ale
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4 medium boneless, skinless chicken thighs (or breasts)
- salt and pepper,
- rice, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Add the mustard, honey, beer, cornstarch, ¼ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon pepper, garlic and lemon juice to a bowl. Whisk together until smooth.
- Melt the butter in an oven safe skillet over medium high heat. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper on all sides. Sear chicken on both sides until browned.
- Pour mustard sauce over the chicken and bake until the chicken is cooked through, about 22 to 25 minutes.
- Plate chicken over rice, if desired. Spoon desired amount of sauce over chicken.
- Choosing the right beer: Look for a medium hopped, citrusy American pale ale to find the right balance with the strong mustard notes in this recipe.