This Lazy Low Fat Lasagna recipe is one for those who are trying to eat light.
You’ll notice that it’s a rather flat-looking lasagna. That doesn’t mean it’s awful, I promise. It’s just a thinner, more simple, “lazy” version of classic lasagna.
It’s missing the classic ingredient of ricotta, using fat free cottage cheese in its place.
The kids at our family dinners love this simple low-fat lasagna. The distinctive flavor of the cheddar cheese attracts the adults as well. You can use skim mozzarella in place of the cheddar if you’re desiring a more classic lasagna flavor.
Low Fat Lasagna
- 1 pound 95% lean ground beef (or 99% fat free ground turkey)
- One 26 ounce jar fat-free marinara sauce
- One 16 ounce carton fat-free cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- One 8 ounce package no-boil lasagna noodles
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat mild cheddar cheese (or skim mozzarella), divided
- chopped fresh parsley, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cook the ground beef or turkey in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until browned, stirring to crumble. Drain fat off. Add sauce and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes.
- Combine cottage cheese and Parmesan cheese in a bowl.
- Spread ½ cup meat mixture in bottom of a 13x9 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange 4 noodles over meat mixture; top with half of cottage cheese mixture, 1 cup meat mixture and ⅓ cup cheddar cheese. Repeat layers, ending with noodles. Spread remaining meat mixture over noodles.
- Cover and bake for 30 to 35 minutes until noodles are tender. Uncover and sprinkle with ⅓ cup cheddar or mozzarella cheese, and bake 5 additional minutes or until cheese melts.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting into 9 servings. Garnish with parsley, if desired