A beautiful, stacked, restaurant-style dessert: Lemon Cream and Raspberry Phyllo Napoleons
This is a lovely recipe for a summer dinner party.
Lemon Cream and Raspberry Phyllo Napoleons
- 6 whole fresh phyllo pastry sheets or frozen, thawed
- 6 teaspoons granulated white sugar (use slightly more, if desired)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup chilled whipping cream
- 1½ teaspoons powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup lemon curd (purchased )
- Two ½ pint baskets (about 1 cup) fresh raspberries
- powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly spray 2 large baking sheets with nonstick spray.
- Stack phyllo sheets on work surface. Trim to 10 ½ inch square (set scraps aside for another use).
- Place 1 phyllo sheet on work surface (cover remaining phyllo with plastic wrap and damp kitchen towel). Sprinkle with 1 generous teaspoon sugar. Top with a second phyllo sheet. Brush lightly with melted unsalted butter. Sprinkle with 1 generous teaspoon sugar. Top with a third phyllo sheet. Sprinkle with 1 generous teaspoon sugar.
- Cut phyllo stack into 9 equal stacked squares. Arrange stacked phyllo squares on prepared baking sheets.
- Repeat layering and cutting with remaining 3 phyllo sheets, sugar and butter making total of 18 stacked phyllo squares.
- Bake until phyllo is golden, about 10 minutes. Transfer baking sheets to racks and cool completely.
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the cream, 1½ teaspoons powdered sugar and vanilla until medium peaks form.
- Whisk the lemon curd in another medium bowl until smooth. Add to the cream mixture. Beat to the consistency of stiff peaks.
- Spread 1 generous tablespoon of the lemon cream on each of 6 stacked phyllo squares. Top each square with 6 raspberries. Layer each with 1 phyllo square, 1 more tablespoon of the lemon cream and 6 raspberries (save any remaining lemon cream for another use). Top each with 1 phyllo square. Sift powdered sugar over desserts.
- Can be prepared 8 hours ahead. Cover loosely and refrigerate.
- Use a pastry bag to dole out the cream to create a very neat and beautiful look.
- You can try using strawberry slices in place of raspberries.
- Lemon curd is available in the preserves section of most supermarket.
- Try grating chocolate over the top for a finishing touch.
- For an easy way out, try using the pre-made phyllo cups instead of making the napoleon. Just add a teaspoon of lemon cream in each cup and garnish with raspberries and blueberries.