These simple to make Lemon Poppy Seed Scones are best served warm out of the oven topped with a generous dusting of powdered sugar.
Are you a lover of scones like me? I do enjoy ordering a scone when visiting a coffee shop to go along with my coffee or tea. Honestly, sometimes they’re really tender and delicious, and sometimes they taste a bit like cardboard. These lemon poppy seed scones are simple, tender and delicious. They’re nothing like cardboard, I promise. They’re a great recipe to make end enjoy on the weekend, and then you’re able to eat them into the beginning of the week too.
- all purpose flour
- white sugar
- baking powder, baking soda and salt
- chilled salted butter
- poppy seeds
- grated lemon zest
- powdered sugar
How to make Lemon Poppy Seed Scones:
The complete, printable recipe is at the end of this post.
Let the lemon poppy seed scones cool for a few minutes, and then sift powdered sugar on top of the warm scones.
Alternative: top the scones with a lemon glaze instead:
In a medium bowl, whisk together 1 cup of powdered sugar with 3 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice. Drizzle the lemon glaze over the baked scones and give that glaze time to set before serving.
Eat these lemon poppy seeds scones for breakfast (they’re a great grab-and-go choice) or nibble on scones for an afternoon snack. They’re good any time of day. Enjoy!
The Best Recipes for Scones:
- Fresh Strawberry Scones
- Cranberry Vanilla Scones
- Brown Sugar Pecan Scones
- Copycat Starbucks Pumpkin Scones
- Cinnamon Bun Scones
Lemon Poppy Seed Scones
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ⅓ cup granulated white sugar
- 2½ tablespoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3½ tablespoons chilled salted butter, cut into small pieces
- ½ cup low fat buttermilk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1½ tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1½ tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray or line with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. Add the buttermilk, eggs, poppy seeds and lemon zest; stir with a fork until the dry ingredients are moistened.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and pat into a 7-inch circle. Slide the dough onto the prepared baking sheet; cut into 8 pie-shaped wedges, cutting to, but not through, the bottom of the dough. (Do not separate the wedges).
- Bake for 20 to 23 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack; sift powdered sugar over top. Gently cut through the wedges with a serrated knife to separate and serve.