These Lemon Smashed Potatoes are a nice diversion from classic mashed potatoes.
I’ve been following the new Weight Watchers SmartPoints program this year (yeah… time to drop some poundage!!), and I have a handful of old WW cookbooks that I’ve been sourcing for good stuff to eat. This recipe comes from The New Weight Watchers Complete Cookbook. It’s not a cookbook that shares the points for the brand new program, but if you have a membership to WW online… you can input the ingredients to figure out the points for a recipe.
I’m always looking for side dish recipes because I get tired of the same old thing. I love this recipe because it’s simple- just smashed potatoes with lemon/salt/pepper/oil. If you don’t care too terribly much about calories, you can add a good dose of butter (and sour cream) in there too!
Lemon Smashed Potatoes
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Combine potatoes and enough water to cover by 1 inch in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until tender, about 12 minutes; drain and return the potatoes to the pan.
- Use a potato masher to coarsely mash the potatoes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, zest, juice, salt and pepper. Drizzle onto the potatoes and use a wooden spoon to mix it in.
Here are a few more smashed potato recipes you might enjoy:
- Crispy Parmesan Smashed Potatoes by Diethood
- Smashed Sweet Potatoes by RecipeGirl
- Crispy Salt and Vinegar Smashed Potatoes by The Comfort of Cooking
- Smashed Potatoes with Onions and Garlic by Cravings of a Lunatic
What a great idea and perfect since Spring is almost here. I am definitely excited to make these for my family.
I absolutely LOVE this idea! Lemon potatoes are crazy good! Perfect Spring side dish!