These Lemon Smashed Potatoes are a nice diversion from classic mashed potatoes.
I’ve been following the new Weight Watchers SmartPoints program this year (yeah… time to drop some poundage!!), and I have a handful of old WW cookbooks that I’ve been sourcing for good stuff to eat. This recipe comes from The New Weight Watchers Complete Cookbook. It’s not a cookbook that shares the points for the brand new program, but if you have a membership to WW online… you can input the ingredients to figure out the points for a recipe.
I’m always looking for side dish recipes because I get tired of the same old thing. I love this recipe because it’s simple- just smashed potatoes with lemon/salt/pepper/oil. If you don’t care too terribly much about calories, you can add a good dose of butter (and sour cream) in there too!
Lemon Smashed Potatoes
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Combine potatoes and enough water to cover by 1-inch in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until tender, about 12 minutes; drain and return the potatoes to the pan.
- Use a potato masher to coarsely mash the potatoes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, zest, juice, salt and pepper. Drizzle onto the potatoes and use a wooden spoon to mix it in.
- Nutritional information per serving (2/3 cup per serving): Calories: 156, Fat: 3g, Sat Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 203mg, Carbohydrates: 27g, Sugar: 0g, Fiber: 2g, Protein: 4g
- Weight Watchers POINTS: Freestyle SmartPoints: 4, Original SmartPoints: 4, PointsPlus: 4, Old Program: 4