This Lime Coconut Buttermilk Pie recipe is a good choice for those people who are hoping to make a pie that is a little bit different. Lime and coconut happen to be a good combination of flavors that are perfect for a pie!
It’s such a pretty pie, isn’t it? This pie recipe is a quick one. Make and bake your own crust, if you’d like. Then pour in the very-quick-to-make filling and bake for 40 minutes. To make it even easier, buy an already pressed in the pan pie shell. If you do that, you just pour the filling into the shell and bake. It’s that simple!
After chilling the baked pie for about 4 hours, it’s time to slice the pie. It’ll look just like this- super creamy and wonderful.
Note that you probably do need to like coconut to enjoy this pie. The recipe calls for both shredded coconut as well as coconut milk. Combine coconut with lime and you have a winning flavor combination!
Bake this easy to make pie today, and let me know what you think!
If you’re looking for more pie recipes, you might enjoy my Lemon Sour Cream Pie or this delicious looking Apple Custard Pie. Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie and Blueberry Crumble Pie are mighty good choices too!
Lime Coconut Buttermilk Pie
- 1 9-inch unbaked pie crust
- 1 1/2 cups granulated white sugar
- 3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- zest and juice of 1 lime
- pinch of salt
PREPARE THE CRUST:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place the pie crust in a 9-inch pie pan, and flute the edges. Line the pie crust with foil and add pie weights, beans, or rice. Bake the crust for 20 minutes, until it is set around the edges. Carefully remove the foil and bake for another 5 to 8 minutes, until it loses the raw look in the middle and takes on a little bit of a golden color around the edges. Let cool while you prepare the filling, but keep the oven at 350.
PREPARE THE FILLING:
- In a large bowl, whisk together all ingredients (except pie crust) until blended.
- Pour the filling into the pie crust, and bake for about 40 minutes. When it’s done, it should feel set in the center but still have a little jiggle. If the outer edges and crust start to get too dark before the center is set, cover the outer edges with a ring of foil or pie crust shielf. Remove from oven and cool to room temperature, then chill for at least 4 hours before serving.
- *Serve with whipped cream and lime slices, if desired.
- *Alternately, you can use a "pie shell" for this recipe. Just pour the filling into the unbaked pie shell and bake for 40 minutes.