A delicious, healthy and easy weeknight dinner: Low Fat Stuffed Shells
Low Fat Stuffed Shells
Prep Time:40 minutes
Cook Time:35 minutes
- 24 jumbo shells (8 ounces)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- Two 10-ounce packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and water squeezed out
- 2 cups 1% cottage cheese
- 2/3 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 3 cups marinara sauce, divided
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook shells according to package directions. Drain and rinse shells under cold water; set aside.
- In large sauté pan, cook onions in olive oil until they have softened (3-5 min.). Set aside.
- In a food processor, pureé cottage cheese until smooth. Scrape cottage cheese into large bowl. Add breadcrumbs, nutmeg and 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese. Mix thoroughly. Fold in onions and spinach, and season with salt and pepper. Stir in egg white.
- Stuff each shell with about 2 Tablespoons of the cheese/spinach mixture.
- Spread 1 cup of the marinara sauce in the bottom of a 9x13" baking dish. Arrange stuffed shells in a single layer on top of the sauce and spoon remaining marinara over the top. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until cheese is golden and shells are heated through. If top is browning too quickly, tent loosely with foil. Cool 10 minutes before serving.
- Nutritional Information per serving: Serving size: 4 shells: Calories 434, Fat 9.5g, Saturated Fat 3g, Sugar 15.5g, Fiber 5.5g, Protein 26g, Cholesterol 14mg, Carbohydrates 61.5g
- WW POINTS per serving: SmartPoints: 12, PointsPlus: 11, Old Points Program: 10