Last year I shared with you a very epic trifle of the red velvet kind. Now it’s time for mint… and chocolate. You like brownies, right? And you’re into hot fudge? You enjoy whipped cream that’s homemade? You have an affinity for all things mint? And you’ve never met an Oreo you didn’t like too? Combine all of those goodies into one dessert, and you’ve got yourself this layered trifle: Mint Brownie Hot Fudge Oreo Trifle
Trifles are one of the easiest and most impressive desserts to make. Grab a trifle dish (or a pretty clear bowl) and just start layering.
I had to sit here and stare at this chocolate mess for a few minutes and try my best not to crawl onto the counter and snuggle up next to those brownies. I’m SO much more of a vanilla girl, but when you add mint to chocolate… that changes it into an entirely different, delicious beast. I find it irresistible.
To build the trifle- layer brownie pieces in the bottom, then a layer of whipped cream and broken-apart Oreos, then hot fudge. Layer twice more, garnish with mint leaves, and that’s it!
The visual appeal of being able to view this recipe from the sides of the clear dish make it a quite the desirable dessert at a dinner party. Don’t even think of asking me how many calories are in this one because it’s simply not that sort of recipe. It’s a “holiday treat,” indeed… full of all of the amazing chocolate things that tempt us often. It’s definitely a trifle for chocolate- lovers!
Mint Brownie Hot Fudge Oreo Trifle
- ¾ cup Gold Medal® All-Purpose Flour
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1¾ cups granulated white sugar
- ¾ cup (1½ sticks) salted butter, melted
- 3 large eggs
- 1½ teaspoons mint extract
- 1½ cups heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup whipped cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon mint extract
- 2-3 drops green food coloring
- 24 individual mint or candy cane flavored Oreos
- 1 cup hot fudge, warmed slightly
- mint leaves, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 inch square pan with nonstick spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, butter, eggs and extract. Whisk in the dry ingredients and stir until combined. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes, or until the brownies are baked through and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let the brownies cool completely in the pan, then cut into 1 inch pieces.
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to whip the cream until it begins to thicken slightly. Add the cream cheese and extract and continue to whip the cream to very soft peaks when you draw the beaters through the cream it will begin to take shape. Don't over beat or it will be too thick.
- In a glass trifle dish or tall glass bowl, place a third of the brownie pieces on the bottom and up the sides of the dish. Spoon ⅓ of the whipped cream on top of the brownies, spreading it to the edges.
- Break apart 8 Oreos and sprinkle them on top of the whipped cream. Drizzle a few spoonfuls of hot fudge on top. Repeat two more layers.
- Garnish the trifle with mint leaves, if desired. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve. Leftovers are perfectly delicious for a couple of days.
More good lookin’ trifles from some of your favorite food blogs:
Tiramisu Trifles by My Baking Addiction
Cranberry- Orange Trifle with Candied Walnuts by TasteFood
Eggnog- Tiramisu Trifle by Half Baked
Gingerbread Trifle by Sweet Basil
Red Velvet Cake Trifle by RecipeGirl
Disclosure: I’m working with Gold Medal Flour to create seasonal recipes for the next couple of months. This is one of those goodies. All opinions shared are my own.