This Pumpkin Chili recipe is an obvious dinner choice for fall.
It’s not like you think. The pumpkin in this Pumpkin Chili doesn’t give it any kind of weird pumpkin flavor or anything like that. The pumpkin puree simply gives this chili an amazing, velvety texture. You must try it!
I’ve been making this chili recipe for many years. Every fall, I get out the recipe, and we enjoy it on a chilly evening or on football Sundays. It’s mighty good with a generous sprinkle of sharp cheddar cheese and a spoonful of sour cream.
And it goes perfectly with my recipe for Pumpkin Cornbread!
If you’re looking for recipes that might be good to serve with this Pumpkin Chili, you might like to try my Pumpkin Cranberry Breadsticks or this Maple Roasted Pumpkin Salad. Pumpkin Dinner Rolls and Apple, Bacon and Gorgonzola Salad would make a good pairing with this chili too.
If you happen to be following the Weight Watchers WW plan, you’ll find a link to the WW Points on the recipe card below.
- 16 ounces 93% lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped green bell peppers
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 14.5-ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 1 cup unsweetened pumpkin puree
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- dash of salt
- 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- chopped green onion, for garnish (optional)
- Heat a skillet to medium-high heat. Brown the ground beef in the pan with the onion, bell pepper and garlic. Remove the pan from heat, and spoon out the grease.
- Return to heat and add the tomatoes, pumpkin, chili powder, cumin, pepper and salt. Stir well. Cover and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Serve topped with cheese, sour cream and chopped green onion.
- Lighten this up by using leaner ground beef, low fat cheddar and light sour cream.
- WW Points were calculated using 93% lean ground beef, and reduced fat cheddar cheese and sour cream
- Serve this chili with pumpkin cornbread!
Note: This recipe was originally published in 2008. It was edited and re-published in 2017.