Pumpkin French Toast Casserole is a simple, make-ahead breakfast recipe that your family will be begging you to make again and again during the fall months.
There is something about the change in season and cool crisp weather that makes me just crave pumpkin. Probably because it takes me back to my childhood memories of baking the most delicious moist pumpkin bread with my mom. With the exception of my first pregnancy, I make about a billion pumpkin recipes each fall, most of which happen to be breakfast items.
There’s nothing quite like a fall weekend morning enjoying a warm sweet pumpkin breakfast like pumpkin waffles or this delicious Pumpkin French Toast Casserole with the family.
This casserole is pretty big, making it the perfect thing to bring to Sunday brunch with family and friends. All the prep work is done the night before so that all you have to do in the morning is pop it in the oven.
Mornings can be rough and often the last thing you want to do is spend time cooking you’re hungry and all you want to do is be back in bed so this breakfast casserole is a dream come true.
How to make Pumpkin French Toast Casserole:
The night before, dice up some day-old French bread and whisk together the custard- cream, milk, eggs, pumpkin, and spices. Then just pour the custard over the French bread, cover it, and let the bread soak up the custard as it sits in the fridge all night.
The next morning all you have to do is mix together the streusel ingredients, sprinkle on top, and bake for about an hour. Then you have time to set the table, take a shower, or just lay in bed and watch Netflix. No judgement here!
When the Pumpkin French Toast Casserole is done baking, dust it with powdered sugar and top individual servings with warm maple syrup. It’s such a perfect breakfast for a cool crisp fall morning with your family. Enjoy!
Here are a few more breakfast casseroles to enjoy:
- French Toast Casserole
- Overnight Blueberry French Toast Casserole
- Cheesy Sausage and Egg Hash Brown Casserole
- Buffet Breakfast Casserole
- Eggnog French Toast Casserole
Pumpkin French Toast Casserole
- One 16-ounce loaf of day-old French bread, cut into cubes
- 1½ cups milk
- 1 cup half and half cream
- 1 cup unsweetened pumpkin puree
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup pecan pieces
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- Lightly spray a 9x13 inch pan with nonstick spray, and place the bread cubes in it.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the milk, cream, pumpkin, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, and pumpkin pie spice. Pour over the bread cubes. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator overnight or at least 3 hours.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, combine all of the streusel ingredients and stir until crumbly. Sprinkle over the bread cubes and then bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until golden brown and set. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve topped with warm maple syrup.