This truly is the Best Pumpkin Bread Recipe. I’ve baked all varieties of pumpkin bread, and this one has been my favorite pumpkin bread recipe for over forty years. Watch the video showing you how to make the best pumpkin bread recipe, then scroll to the bottom of this post and print out the recipe so you can bake it at home!
What makes this the Best Pumpkin Bread Recipe?
This pumpkin bread turns out perfectly moist and tender every time. There are a lot of spices added in to the ingredients in this bread. Plenty of cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and cloves round out the spicy flavor of the pumpkin bread. The recipe makes two loaves. It’s the perfect snack!
My best pumpkin bread recipe calls for 3 cups of sugar and 1 cup of oil. That’s the original recipe that I started with so many years ago. Nowadays, I reduce the sugar to 2 cups and I use 1/2 cup oil and 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce. It still turns out so good with these modifications!
Best Pumpkin Bread Recipe for Gifting:
I’ve used this recipe for gifting for as long as I can remember. It’s the perfect hostess gift for fall parties and holiday gatherings. And when I’m feeling generous, I’ll bake a dozen pumpkin bread loaves and deliver them to neighbors “just because.”
I wrap the pumpkin bread directly in foil, and then I slip it into a gift bag and tie a cute ribbon to close it up. Homemade pumpkin bread makes the perfect gift, and everyone always appreciates the gesture of a gift that’s homemade.
Does this Best Pumpkin Bread recipe freeze well?
This pumpkin bread definitely freezes well. In fact, I always double the recipe when I make it… and then I have one loaf for my family to eat and three loaves to wrap and put in the freezer.
Just wrap the extras directly in foil and keep them in the freezer. When you’re going somewhere special, need to gift a sick friend, or surprise a neighbor with something yummy… you have pumpkin bread that you can take out of your freezer, and it’s ready to gift to someone!
Let this be your go-to Best Pumpkin Bread Recipe to make all year long, but especially in the fall months. You’ll enjoy it for breakfast and snacks and holidays. And everyone else will be able to enjoy it with you.
If you’re looking for more pumpkin themed recipes, you might also enjoy my Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Squares or these Pumpkin Cake Pops. Pumpkin Gooey Butter Bars, Pumpkin Fudge, and Cream Cheese Filled Pumpkin Bundt Cake are also good pumpkin treats to try!
Best Pumpkin Bread Recipe
Truly the favorite pumpkin bread recipe ever!
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 cups granulated white sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup vegetable or canola oil (can sub 1/2 unsweetened applesauce)
- 2 cups pure, unsweetened pumpkin puree
- 2/3 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two 9x5-inch loaf pans. You can use 8x5 pans too, but they'll rise quite high while baking.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, spices, baking powder and salt.
In large bowl, whisk together the sugar, eggs and oil.
Stir the dry ingredients into the wet mixture. Add the pumpkin and water and stir until combined.
Divide the batter between the prepared pans. Bake for 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. It could take an extra 15 minutes, depending on the type of pan you're using.
- *If you reduce the sugar to 2 cups and sub 1/2 of the oil for unsweetened applesauce, here is how the nutritional information changes per slice: 274 calories, 46 carb, 4 protein, 8 fat, 1 fiber.
- *Since this recipe yields two loaves, make several batches and deliver them to your neighbors as a fall holiday treat!
- *You may also use 8 mini loaf pans- bake 45 minutes to an hour.
- *This bread freezes well. When cooled, cover with plastic wrap, then foil & freeze until ready to eat. It should keep well in the freezer for several weeks.