This icing hardens when cooled, so is perfect for decorating cookies and gingerbread houses.
Servings: 1 batch (1⅔ cups total)
- One 16 ounce package powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons meringue powder
- 5 to 6 tablespoons warm water
- 1 teaspoon light corn syrup
- paste food coloring (optional)
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl (start with 5 tablespoons water).
- Beat at medium-low speed with an electric mixer fro 5 to 7 minutes until thick and pourable (adding additional water, as needed).
- Divide and tint with food coloring, if desired. Spread or pipe onto cookies.
Serving: 1batch, Calories: 1839kcal, Carbohydrates: 461g, Protein: 10g, Fat: 0.02g, Sodium: 169mg, Potassium: 144mg, Sugar: 452g, Calcium: 13mg, Iron: 0.3mg
Why do you need the corn syrup? Some royal icing recipes don’t call for this. What is the difference ?
Ashley- I’m not really quite sure. Some recipes call for it & some don’t. Maybe it adds a bit more gloss?