Salad Nicoise is a salad that originated in France. It’s traditionally a tuna salad that has green beans, hard-boiled eggs and olives with a lemony dressing.
This is a very traditional salad that you will find in every restaurant in France! It’s easy to make at home. You can use canned tuna, but I completely recommend buying a chunk of fresh tuna and grilling it. Your salad nicoise will be so much more delicious using fresh tuna. It’s also a great salad to make if you have leftover grilled tuna.
Ingredients needed for the salad:
- steamed green beans
- Romaine lettuce
- mixed greens
- Roma tomatoes
- red onions
- hard-boiled eggs
- black olives
How to steam green beans:
Place trimmed green beans in a pan with a steamer basket and steam 8 to 10 minutes until almost tender. Rinse under cold water to stop the cooking process.
How to make dressing for Nicoise Salad:
Combine olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and salt/pepper in a shaker jar. Use a regular jar (as shown in the photo) or use this fabulous salad dressing shaker jar with a spout.
How to assemble Salad Nicoise:
This recipe makes four servings. Divide lettuce between four plates or salad bowls. Decoratively add green beans, tuna, tomato, red onion, hard-boiled eggs and olives.
Shake the salad dressing jar and then spoon dressing on top of each salad.
This salad is Weight Watchers friendly!
If you happen to be following the Weight Watchers WW plan, this salad works for the program. You’ll find a link to the WW Points on the recipe card at the end of this post.
This salad nicoise is unique because of all of the delicious ingredients added to the salad. It’s a filling main dish salad. And it’s one my favorites. Enjoy!
Here are a few more tuna salad recipes you may enjoy:
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium lemons, juiced
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 pound green beans
- 2 cups Romaine lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 6 cups mixed greens
- 8 ounces tuna chunks (fresh cooked or canned... but fresh is best!)
- 4 medium Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small red onion, minced
- 2 large hard-boiled eggs, chilled and sliced
- ½ cup Nicoise or black olives
- Combine the oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper in a shaker jar. Set aside.
PREPARE THE SALAD:
- Prepare the green beans by rinsing and snapping the ends. Place in a pan with a steamer basket and steam 8 to 10 minutes until almost tender. Rinse under cold water to stop the cooking process. Drain well.
- To assemble the salad, place the lettuce on individual serving plates, followed by green beans, tuna, tomato, red onion, eggs and olives.
- Shake the dressing jar well. Pour over the plated salads and serve.