Shrimp Jambalaya is a delicious New Orlean’s-style dinner recipe.
This mildly spicy dinner recipe is a nice diversion from chicken or pasta. I love how easy it is to make- all in one pot and not dirtying up a ton of dishes to prepare.
Shrimp Jambalaya is a good dinner-for-two kind of recipe because the next-day leftovers are awesome!
How to make Shrimp Jambalaya:
Sliced kielbasa, onion and bell pepper are sautéed in olive oil until tender. Then rice, salt and spices are added in. Water, chicken broth and canned tomatoes are added in next. Cover the skillet and simmer for about 15 minutes, until the rice is cooked.
The final step is stirring in the shrimp and hot sauce. Cover and cook an additional 5 minutes. This is the time needed for the shrimp to cook. That’s it!
Jambalaya has French and Spanish roots. It’s a dish that originates from the French quarter of New Orleans. This version is more of a Creole (red) style of jambalaya with the addition of tomato.
Surprise your family with a new shrimp jambalaya dinner recipe! Garnish with fresh parsley, and serve. Enjoy!
Here are a few more favorite dinner recipes you might like to try:
- Tuscan Chicken Pasta
- Cheesy Chicken and Broccoli Rice Casserole
- One Pan Meatball Stroganoff
- Spaghetti and Meatballs
- Beef Stew with Red Wine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 ounces turkey kielbasa, halved lengthwise and sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 cup water
- One 15-ounce can low-sodium chicken broth
- One 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 pound medium-sized shrimp, peeled
- ¼ teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium-heat. Add the kielbasa, onion and bell pepper; sauté 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add the rice; sauté 2 minutes. Add the salt and next 3 ingredients; sauté 1 minute.
- Add the water, broth, and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes or until the rice is tender.
- Stir in the shrimp and hot sauce; cover and cook 5 minutes or until the shrimp are done. Remove from heat; stir in the parsley.