In this recipe for Slow Cooker Chicken Parmigiana Meatloaf, you actually cook the meatloaf in a loaf pan INSIDE the slow cooker!
I really love the idea behind this recipe – cooking a meatloaf (in a loaf pan) INSIDE the slow cooker. How fun is that?
The recipe comes from my current favorite cookbook: 365 Slow Cooker Suppers by Stephanie O’Dea. It’s totally hard to serve a decent dinner to your family when you’re not home to prepare it. And it gets tiring (and unhealthy) to pick up fast food all the time. Your slow cooker is youre best friend on busy days. I’ve tried a ton of slow cooker recipes in the past that are just duds. This cookbook is much different. I’ve tried three recipes in the book, and they have all been big successes. This recipe was one of them.
Check it out: You just mix the meatloaf ingredients together in a bowl, then stuff it in your loaf pan, then place your loaf pan in the slow cooker and press START! That’s it!
7 or 8 hours later, the meatloaf is done. It’s one of the most tender, juicy, flavorful meatloaf recipes I’ve ever tasted. I use ground turkey instead of chicken, and it is completely wonderful (and low fat)!
I enjoy the meatloaf straight out of the pan, unadorned and all by itself… served with a side salad. My husband likes a little more sauce drizzled on top (just a little marinara- easy). I recommend the recipe to try out on your family for dinner. It really is quite delicious. And I recommend that you purchase the cookbook too- lots of great, easy recipes that I can’t wait to try.
If you happen to be following the Weight Watchers WW plan, you’ll find a link to the WW Points on the recipe card below.
Here are a few more meatloaf recipes you might enjoy:
- Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf
- Swedish Meatloaf
- Roasted Vegetable Meatloaf
- Turkey Meatloaf
- Cranberry Meatloaf
Slow Cooker Chicken Parmigiana Meatloaf
- 1 pound ground chicken or turkey (93% lean)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 small onion, diced
- ½ cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup marinara sauce (I use Classico Tomato- Basil), divided
- 1½ cups finely shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- In a medium bowl, combine the chicken (or turkey), eggs, onion, breadcrumbs, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, ½ cup marinara and ½ cup cheese (it's easiest to just use your hands to do this).
- Spray an 8x5 inch loaf pan with nonstick spray (metal or glass- see notes below). Scoop the meatloaf mixture into the pan and smooth the top. Spread the remaining ½ cup of marinara sauce over the top. Sprinkle remaining 1 cup of cheese on top.
- Put the pan in a 6 quart slow cooker and place the lid on top. Cook for 7 to 8 hours on low (or 4 hours on high). Slice, and serve.
- Note: I used a glass pan and cooked mine on LOW. If you're opting for cooking it on HIGH, you might consider using a metal pan instead. I'm not certain the glass would work well with such a high temperature.
- If you are preparing this recipe as GLUTEN-FREE, be sure to use a sub for the regular breadcrumbs (like GF breadcrumbs), and be sure to use a brand of marinara sauce that is known to be GF (Classico Tomato Basil is GF).
- Option: Place some small potatoes around the sides of the pan so that they can be slow cooked along with the meatloaf.