Here’s a very filling, delicious and healthy soup recipe: Southwestern Black Bean Soup
Lately, my thing has been to make a big pot of soup on Sunday and use the leftovers for lunches during the week following. It’s such a great idea! It’s so incredibly easy to heat up soup, it’s easy to transport if you’re headed to an office outside the home, and it’s filling! Bonus with this recipe- this one is healthy too!
This is a simple black bean soup with brown rice added in. That brown rice is important because it helps fill you up! I like to add chopped fresh tomatoes on top. Tomatoes aren’t awesome this time of year, but I buy the little packages of Campari tomatoes, and those are delicious!
Soup for dinner and leftovers for lunch! This recipe will make you happy for days 🙂
I’ve included nutritional information and Weight Watchers Points in the recipe below. Enjoy!
Southwestern Black Bean Soup
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 large onion, chopped finely
- 1 large celery rib, chopped finely
- 1 medium green bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Two 15.5-ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- One 14.5-ounce can reduced sodium, fat-free chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, celery, bell pepper and garlic. Saute for 5 to 6 minutes, or until the veggies have softened.
- Add the chili powder and cumin; stir and cook for an additional minute.
- Add the beans to the saucepan and mash with a potato masher or large fork (mash some and leave the rest whole). Stir in the broth and tomato. Increase heat to high and bring the soup to a boil. Remove from heat and serve- top each serving with 1/4 cup rice and 1 tablespoon cilantro.
- If you are preparing this recipe as GLUTEN-FREE, just be sure to use brands of black beans and broth that are known to be GF.
- Nutritional information per serving (serving size about 1 1/4 cups): Calories: 273, Fat 4.1g, Sat Fat .4g, Cholesterol 2.5mg, Sodium 1234mg, Potassium 1003mg, Carbohydrates 54g, Fiber 12g, Sugar 2.5g, Protein 13.5g
- Weight Watchers Points: Freestyle SmartPoints: 3, SmartPoints: 7, PointsPlus: 7, Old Program: 5