I love both pasta and mushrooms, so I love this dinner: Spaghetti with Cremini Mushrooms, Lemon and Thyme
Spaghetti with Cremini Mushrooms, Lemon and Thyme
Prep Time:30 minutes
Cook Time:25 minutes
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 1 cup coarse fresh bread crumbs (from 2 slices firm white sandwich bread)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds cremini mushrooms, trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices (6 cups)
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 3 cloves garlic chopped (1 tablespoon)
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan Cheese, plus additional for serving
- lemon wedges for garnish
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until barely al dente.
- While pasta is cooking, stir together bread crumbs, 1 tablespoon olive oil, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a bowl until combined well. Transfer to a 12-inch heavy skillet and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until golden, 3 to 5 minutes, then return to bowl.
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter and remaining 2 tablespoons oil in skillet over moderately high heat until foam subsides, then sauté mushrooms, stirring until golden, about 4 minutes. Add zest and garlic and sauté, stirring, until mushrooms exude liquid about 3 minutes. Add Worcestershire sauce and lemon juice and cook until most of liquid is evaporated, about 2 minutes. Stir in thyme, pepper and remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt.
- Reserve 1 cup pasta cooking water, then drain pasta in a colander.
- Transfer mushrooms to pasta pot, then add 1/2 cup reserved cooking water and bring to a boil. Stir in parsley and remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Return pasta to pot and add cheese, tossing to combine. If pasta seems dry, moisten with more cooking water.
- Serve pasta sprinkled with bread crumbs and additional cheese.