This Swiss Chicken Casserole is pure comfort food. It’s a great, easy slow cooker dinner recipe.
If you’re looking for a super easy dinner recipe to throw in the slow cooker for tonight’s dinner, then this Swiss Chicken Casserole is it. There is no pre-cooking of anything, and all you will have to do is layer the ingredients in your slow cooker, turn it on, and let your slow cooker do its thing for 8 hours.
I need to explain something about the recipe. It calls for canned cream of mushroom soup and cream of chicken soup. I know I don’t usually have recipes on RecipeGirl that call for canned soup, but this one is an exception. If you don’t like to use canned soups, then this recipe won’t be for you. If you don’t mind pure comfort food once in a while, then you’ll probably love this casserole as much as I do!
What ingredients are needed for Swiss Chicken Casserole?
- chicken breasts
- chicken broth
- Swiss cheese
- cream of mushroom soup
- cream of chicken soup
- cornbread stuffing
- cooked sausage
When having this for dinner, you’ll get chicken and cornbread stuffing with a creamy, Swiss cheese sauce drizzled on top. Kids tend to like this one too.
What’s the best slow cooker to buy?
I have a favorite slow cooker that I’ve used for many years. It’s easy to use, and I love that you can program the exact time and heat level. When your food is done slow cooking, it automatically switches to “warm,” and it just keeps your food warm until you’re ready to serve it. It’s the Hamilton Beach 6-Quart Slow Cooker. It’s a workhorse in my kitchen, and I love it!
Here are a few more casserole recipes you might like to try:
- Chiles Rellenos Casserole
- Beef and Eggplant Casserole
- Turkey Noodle Casserole
- Beef Burrito Casserole
- French Onion Beef Casserole
- Chicken Spaghetti Casserole
- Easy Tuna Casserole
- Tex Mex Chicken and Rice Casserole
Swiss Chicken Casserole
- 2 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 6 slices deli Swiss cheese, divided
- One 10.5-ounce can cream of mushroom soup
- One 10.5-ounce can cream of chicken soup
- 1/4 cup milk
- 12 ounces cornbread stuffing mix
- 1/2 pound cooked, crumbled sausage
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter, melted
- Lightly spray your slow cooker insert with nonstick cooking spray. Place the chicken breasts in the slow cooker. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pour the chicken broth over chicken. Top with 3 slices of cheese.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the soups and milk. Pour the mixture over the cheese. Place the remaining 3 slices of cheese on top of the soup mixture.
- In a large bowl, combine the stuffing mix and the sausage; sprinkle it over the cheese. Drizzle the melted butter over the stuffing mixture.
- Cover and cook on low 8 to 10 hours (or on high 4 to 6 hours).
- Note that the nutritional info assumes that ALL of the sauce will be consumed. That's probably not going to happen, so the calorie count is likely to be less.