These Turkey, Mushroom and Bacon Puff Pastry Pockets are filled with a turkey, bacon, swiss cheese and a creamy mushroom sauce. They’re the perfect choice for using up leftover Thanksgiving turkey!
When I first made these for my family, they took a glance and asked what sort of dessert I had created. I explained that “this was dinner.” They were beyond excited that they were going to get to eat PASTRY for dinner. I agree… stuffed pastry is a very good thing indeed!
These are the goodies you’ll need for preparing this recipe: Puff Pastry, heavy whipping cream, TURKEY, egg, dijon mustard, green onions, mushrooms, BACON and salt/pepper.
Oh YEAH… and Swiss cheese!
Saute mushrooms and chopped green onion and then add in heavy whipping cream and Dijon (flavor!) to make a yummy sauce.
Cut each sheet of Puff Pastry into 4 equal pieces (you’ll then have 8, of course).
To asssemble: spread a generous spoonful of creamy mushroom sauce, then turkey, then bacon, then Swiss cheese.
You’ll cover all of that good stuff with another layer of Puff Pastry (roll it out a little or stretch and press with your fingers to make it slightly larger than the bottom piece.
Use a fork to press the edges to seal.
Mix egg with a tablespoon of water and brush it on top of each Puff Pastry pocket. Then bake for about 20 minutes. That’s it!
They come out of the oven all golden and wonderful like these guys.
And when you cut into them you’ll get to discover all of that piping-hot good stuff inside. Delicious idea for using up that (impending) leftover turkey, right? My family LOVES this. And my husband has said that the next-day leftovers are even better. I’d say that’s a very good thing indeed!
Turkey, Mushroom and Bacon Puff Pastry Pockets
- One 17.3-ounce package puff pastry sheets, thawed
- 4 slices bacon
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 3 medium green onions, sliced
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1½ teaspoons Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1½ cups chopped or shredded cooked turkey
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 large egg, whisked with 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat the oven to 400℉. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat mat.
- In a medium skillet, cook the bacon until crispy. Remove to paper towels to drain, then crumble. Remove all of the bacon fat from the skillet except for 1 tablespoon.
- Add the mushrooms and onions to the skillet and saute over medium heat until softened. Stir in cream, Dijon and salt/pepper. Cook until reduced slightly and thickened. Set aside to cool a bit.
- Assemble the pastries: Cut each sheet of Puff Pastry into 4 equal squares. Divide the mushroom mixture between 4 squares. Top with turkey, bacon and Swiss cheese. Roll out each of the remaining Puff Pastry squares so they're a little bit larger (or just use your fingers to press and stretch them). Place the second piece over the top of each with filling. Use a fork to seal the edges to form "pockets." Brush each square with egg wash and use a knife to poke a few slits in the top for steam to escape while baking.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve immediately.