You can make this chili as spicy (or not) as you want: Fiery Chicken Chili
Yield: 8 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Fiery Chicken Chili
Adjust the spiciness of this chili by adding more or less of the chipotle (I prefer to remove and discard the seeds).
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 4 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 large chipotle chile in adobo sauce, finely chopped, sauce reserved
- 3 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, thinly sliced
- Two 28-ounce cans diced tomatoes (with their juice)
- Three 15.5-ounce cans pinto beans, rinsed
- chopped avocados, cilantro, grated cheddar, chopped scallions and sour cream, for serving
- In a large, heavy saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, oregano, cumin, salt and paprika and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened and the spices are fragrant, about 7 minutes. Stir in the chipotle and 1 tablespoon adobo sauce. Add the chicken and cook, stirring, until the meat begins to turn opaque, about 2 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and beans and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Uncover, increase the heat and simmer the chili briskly, stirring often, until thickened, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Add more adobo sauce to taste. Serve garnished with avocado, cilantro, cheese, scallions and sour cream.
- If you are preparing this recipe as GLUTEN-FREE, just be sure to use brands of chipotles in adobo and beans that are known to be GF.
- Place the chicken on a baking sheet and freeze for 30 minutes before slicing. It will be much easier to slice thinly.
- Nutritional Information per serving (Serving size: 1/8th of the recipe- without toppings) Calories: 262, Fat: 6g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Sugar: 10.5g, Fiber: 10.5g, Protein: 13.5g, Cholesterol: 12.75mg, Carbohydrates: 42g
- Weight Watchers POINTS: SmartPoints: 8, PointsPlus: 7, Old Points Program: 6.5
SOURCE: RecipeGirl.com (via EveryDay with Rachael Ray)
More chicken chili recipes you might enjoy:
- BBQ Chicken Chili by Skinnytaste
- Ina Garten’s Chicken Chili by RecipeGirl
- White Chicken Chili by Brown Eyed Baker
- Acorn Squash and Chicken Chili by RecipeGirl
- Slow Cooker Green Chicken Chili by Noble Pig