This Hot and Sour Soup is just like you’d find in a Chinese food restaurant… and it’s low fat too!
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Hot and Sour Soup
- 6 dried wood-ear mushrooms (or any dried mushrooms)
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili-garlic sauce
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Asian (dark) sesame oil
- 1/2 pound reduced-fat soft tofu, drained and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 8 ounce can bamboo shoots, drained and thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- Combine dried mushrooms with enough hot water to cover by 2 inches in a small bowl; let stand 15 minutes, then drain.
- Bring the broth, soy sauce, chili-garlic sauce, vinegar, and sesame oil to a boil in a large saucepan. Add the drained mushrooms, tofu and bamboo shoots. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Combine the cornstarch and water in a small bowl; stir in about 1/4-cup of the hot liquid, then return to the pan. Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture boils and thickens slightly, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat; slowly drizzle the egg mixture into the soup while stirring in a circular motion. Serve immediately.
- This recipe is gluten-free adaptable- just be sure to use brands of chicken broth, soy sauce and chili garlic sauce that are known to be GF.
- If you can't find wood-ear mushrooms, just use any dried mushrooms that you can find.
- For ease in preparing mushrooms, place water in pyrex cup and heat in microwave. Then add mushrooms and soak.
- Nutritional Information per serving (Serving size: 1 1/3 cups) Calories: 115, Fat: 3.25g, Saturated Fat: .5g, Sugar: 3.3g, Fiber: 2.5g, Protein: 8g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Carbohydrates: 19g
- Weight Watchers POINTS: SmartPoints: 3, PointsPlus: 3, Old Points Program: 3
SOURCE: RecipeGirl.com (via Weight Watchers: Take Out Tonight)