Pretty much my favorite soup in the whole world: Lobster Bisque
Yield: 6 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 1/2 cup minced shallots
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 1 pound cooked lobster meat, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups half and half cream
- 1 tablespoon cognac (optional)
- additional, larger pieces of lobster meat, for garnish
- chopped chives, for garnish (optional)
- Melt the butter in large saucepan over low heat, and sauté the shallots until tender.
- Meanwhile, bring the broth, bay leaf, and thyme to a boil in another saucepan.
- Whisk the flour into the shallot mixture, cook, stirring 1-2 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste; slowly whisk in the boiling broth. Gradually add wine; simmer 10 minutes; stirring occasionally.
- Add the lobster meat and soup into a food processor and blend. Return the mixture to the saucepan, stir in half and half, then cognac. Heat through.
- Garnish with lobster and serve.
- To make this soup gluten-free, be sure to use a brand of broth that is known to be GF, and use a substitute for the all-purpose flour- such as GF All Purpose, cornstarch or another GF thickening agent.