Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Champ (Green Onion Mashed Potatoes)
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 1 to 2 bunches green onions, sliced (about 1 cup)
- Cook potatoes in pot of boiling salted water until very tender, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring cream and butter to simmer in heavy small saucepan over medium heat, stirring often. Mix in green onions. Remove from heat. Cover and let steep while potatoes cook.
- Drain potatoes thoroughly. Return potatoes to same pot and mash. Add cream mixture and stir until blended. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 2 hours ahead. Cover; let stand at room temperature. Rewarm over low heat, stirring often.)
- Champ is traditionally served with a well in the middle that has a dab of butter melting in it. The potatoes are usually eaten from "outside" to "inside," dipping each bite into the butter.
SOURCE: Adapted slightly from Bon Appetit