Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Ganache

This recipe has been featured in a post on The Recipe Girl blog: Chocolatey Cupcaked Dipped in Chocolate Ganache.

Yield: 36 cupcakes

Prep Time: 30 min

Cook Time: 20 min

Chocolate Cupcakes w/ Chocolate Ganache

The cupcakes themselves are great, but dipped in the ganache... oh my!

3/4 cup boiling water
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
6 ounces butter, at room temperature
2 cups granulated white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 large eggs
2 1/2 cups cake flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup buttermilk

8 ounces chocolate (bittersweet or semi-sweet or combo)
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
2 Tablespoons granulated white sugar
2 Tablespoons butter, , at room temperature

1. Prepare cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350°F. Line cupcake pans with liners (or not)- your choice.

2. Whisk together boiling water and cocoa; cover and set aside.

3. With a mixer, cream together butter, sugar, salt and vanilla extract. Add eggs, one at a time, and continue creaming until light and fluffy.

4. Sift together flour, baking soda, & baking powder and add this mixture, alternately with the buttermilk. Add cocoa/water mixture and mix until thoroughly combined. Scoop into cupcake pans and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

5. Let cupcakes cool completely before adding ganache.

6. When cupcakes are cooled, prepare ganache: Place chocolate in stainless steel or glass bowl and set aside. Bring cream & sugar just to a boil in a small saucepan (or microwave) then pour over chocolate. Whisk together until smooth, and then stir in butter until melted.

7. Dip tops of cupcakes into ganache. Set on rack to dry. When the remaining ganache sits for a while (or refrigerate for a few minutes), it will get thicker. At this point, you can spoon it into a piping bag and then pipe more ganache on top for decoration.

Source: (Adapted from Food Network)

33 Responses to “Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Ganache”

1. postedMar 11, 2009 1:25 PM

I just posted a recipe for Chocolate Cupcakes. It’s a little different, but my recipe suggested to dip to frost also! Funny! They were yummy!

2. postedMar 29, 2009 2:47 PM

I just made the Martha Stewart One Bowl Cupcakes and was not thrilled. These look REALLY good. They will be the next ones I try. Thanks for the great pics and recipe :)

3. postedOct 11, 2009 1:15 PM

Gorgeous cupcake. Very sturdy (which I like) and looks beautiful. But it was way too dry. I think I’ll try it again with 3/4 cup less flour.

4. postedSep 11, 2010 1:39 AM

Hi there,
    When you say “1 cup” in your recipes, how many grams/ozs is this please?

5. postedOct 2, 2010 1:11 PM

Have you ever tried using white chocolate?

6. postedNov 21, 2010 3:05 PM

Wonderful! Love the little details and dipped perfectly!

7. postedApr 23, 2011 5:26 AM

Will cream cheese frosting be suitable for these cupcakes?

8. postedMay 17, 2011 9:49 AM

what can we use to substitute the buttermilk?

• May 17th, 2011 @ 4:58 PM

1 cup milk mixed with just under a Tablespoon of fresh lemon juice = buttermilk substitute

• May 17th, 2011 @ 4:58 PM

Measure from that…

9. postedAug 17, 2011 3:31 PM

Tried this recipe today, they turned out amazing, I will be making these for a friend’s wedding on this upcoming Monday. Thank you so much =D

10. postedAug 22, 2011 4:15 PM

My daughter and I loved the white ccakes and buttercream frosting..the chocolate recipe-a little crumby..would it help to freeze or put them in frig? We like dense ccakes :o)

• August 24th, 2011 @ 6:46 AM

No, I’m afraid that refrigerating them would not change the texture. They’re just a lighter cake.

11. postedNov 6, 2011 3:15 AM

Hello Lori, what is cake flour – would that be self raising or plain flour??

• November 6th, 2011 @ 5:47 AM

Cake flour is really easy to make at home. Add two tablespoons of corn starch to each cup of regular flour and sift this mixture together twice. Measure your cups of flour from this mixture. That’s what they sell as cake flour!

12. postedNov 8, 2011 5:47 AM

Can you make a big batch of homemade cake flour and store to be used when needed? Or should you just make the exact qty as needed? And if made ahead of time and stored, when measuring out at later time, does it need to be sifted again before using in recipe? Thanks!

• November 8th, 2011 @ 10:25 AM

Either way… you can make it and store some if you’d like. I don’t sift regular cake flour that you purchase at the store, so I don’t think you’d need to sift it again before using.

13. postedJan 26, 2012 3:13 PM

Hi Lori,

Could you confirm 6 oz and not 6 tbl butter in the cupcake recipe, usually butter is listed in tablespoons as in your recipe for the ganache. Thank you

• January 26th, 2012 @ 3:53 PM

Hi Donna, Sorry- I should have been consistent. Yes, it’s 6 ounces (12 tablespoons or 3/4 cup butter- or 1 1/2 sticks). Sorry for the confusion.

14. postedJan 26, 2012 6:51 PM

Thanks Lori, I ended up going with that assumption and they turned out great.

15. postedApr 12, 2012 1:27 AM

Hm, have to go with some others who found these a bit crumbly and dry :-/ I love the recipes for the White & Chocolate Wedding Cupcakes, they are delish, but these I won’t make again :-(

That will teach me to always have white AND chocolate cake mixes on-hand! 😉

16. postedAug 7, 2014 8:50 AM
    Peggy M

Hello Lori,
    Your cupcakes look amazing and the comments show they are great recipes. I will be making some this weekend. Question: Do you think the Ganache would be okay to use as a filling for the cupcakes? Thanks again in advance. :)

• August 12th, 2014 @ 4:07 PM

I haven’t tried it- maybe!

17. postedMay 17, 2015 3:49 AM

Just made these for a test and they are perfect but tiny!  Really I can get 9 instead of 12 per tray so I was wondering before I do another test for my client can you tell me what size cupcake liner you use to get them so full?  Thanks so much- honestly great recipe!

• May 19th, 2015 @ 6:47 PM

Was a long time ago, but I usually use cupcake papers from a baking supply store. Nothing super special, though they may be slightly smaller than the commercial ones at the market.

18. postedAug 12, 2015 3:20 PM

If I want to cut this recipe in half, should I use 2 eggs or just 1? Hard to cut 3 eggs in half :)

• August 22nd, 2015 @ 3:40 PM

It’s tough to cut a recipe in half if you’re faced with trying to cut 3 eggs in half. I personally wouldn’t try it!

19. postedOct 9, 2015 12:15 PM
    Linda billingsley

For the cake flour is it bleached or unbleached? What brand do you use! Thank you linda

• October 10th, 2015 @ 5:50 PM

I can only usually find one brand of cake flour at my local market, so I just buy whatever they have. I’ve never payed attention to the brand.

20. postedOct 11, 2015 4:08 AM
    Linda Billingsley

I made these last night, good flavor but I also found them on the dry side. Will add applesause next time!

21. postedNov 6, 2015 7:43 AM
    olivia prevatt

I have a batch in the oven now! the batter was dreamy!!! so velvety! I’m excited to see how they turn out!!! thank for the recipe!