Truly the most perfect Chocolate Frosting Recipe I’ve ever made! See how glossy and perfect it is??? It’s the best, and you must try it!
This is a non-traditional frosting recipe. It’s warmed on the stove, and it has sour cream in it! There is no powdered sugar in this recipe (only granulated white sugar). It’s rich and delicious!
I love the look of the smooth and shiny frosting. It isn’t a frosting recipe that is meant to pipe on to cakes or cupcakes. Plan to spread it on and enjoy the smooth and shiny texture.
Turns out I’ve been messing around with cake and frosting recipes this week. Cake is awesome… especially on Tuesdays. You see, Tuesday is my Weigh-In Day for my weight loss challenge. So basically I get to weigh myself in the morning and then bake to my heart’s content (aka cheat big-time) in the afternoon. Then all is back to normal on Wednesday and into the following week. Does that sound like a good plan?? I figure you can’t be perfect 100% of the time. Otherwise, you set yourself up for failure.
So cheating by making a fabulous yellow cake with the best chocolate frosting is totally worth it.
This chocolate frosting used on this cake is AMAZING. It’s shiny and smooth and perfect, and it glides on just right. I’m not even that crazy about chocolate, but I am in love with this chocolate frosting recipe. It’s perfect for a two-layer cake, and it would frost about 36 cupcakes.
It’s important to note that it’s a very soft and slick frosting. The instructions given are to prepare the frosting and then chill it in the refrigerator until the consistency is just right. You don’t want to add it to your cake when it’s not quite thick enough or you might get a cake that is slipping and sliding!
Make yourself a cake today so you can try out this awesome chocolate frosting recipe. Enjoy!
Here are a few more chocolate frosting recipes you might like to try:
- Hershey’s Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Frosting
- Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- Sugar Free Chocolate Frosting
- Rich Chocolate Vegan Frosting
- Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- Dark Chocolate Frosting
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter
- 1½ cups granulated white sugar
- 1¼ cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1¼ cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup full fat sour cream
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter. Whisk in the sugar and cocoa powder. In a separate bowl, whisk together the cream and the sour cream. Slowly add this to the pan, whisking it in until well combined and smooth. Mix in the espresso powder and heat until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Let the icing sit at room temperature until it is a good consistency for icing your cake or cupcakes. To speed up the process, place it in the refrigerator. Keep an eye on it and take it out when it firms up enough to ice. If it gets too firm, you can always stick it in the microwave for a few seconds to soften it up again.
- *this recipe will make enough frosting for a two-layer cake, and MAYBE enough for a 3-layer cake. It will also be enough to frost about 36 cupcakes.