I’ve created a pretty darn good Low Fat Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe, so I thought I’d share it with you folks who might be in the same endless-battle with losing weight that I’m in.
These cookies are firm but not crispy (kind of like right between a cakey cookie and a firm cookie).
It’s important to note that this is NOT an overly sweet and indulgent cookie. It’s lightly sweetened, and you get a tiny bit of chocolate pleasure with the chips scattered around the cookie. My son (official cookie monster) liked them a lot and thought they tasted similar in texture and taste to a chocolate chip Clif Bar. I’d have to agree. And they’re a nice, little treat for someone who is managing their diet calories. Separate portions into baggies and toss them in the freezer until the mood for cookies strikes.
Yield: 22 cookies
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Low Fat Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 2/3 cups oats
- 2 Tablespoons mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Slightly spray cookie sheet with nonstick spray, or line with parchment paper or silpat mat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and allspice.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together melted butter, applesauce, sugars, egg and vanilla until well blended. Add flour mixture to applesauce mixture. Mix well. Fold in oats. At this point, you can decide if you'd like to mix in the chocolate chips or save them to sprinkle on op of each scoop of cookie dough.
- Drop rounded Tablespoonfuls (about 1 1/2 Tablespoons) onto cookie sheet 2 inches apart. You should end up with about 22 cookies. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until set. Remove from oven and cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes; remove to wire rack to cool completely.
- Nutritional Information per serving (Serving size: 1 cookie) Calories 97.7, Fat 2.1g, Saturated Fat 1g, Sodium 109.1, Fiber .8g, Protein 1.6g, Sugars 12.4g, Cholesterol 11.3mg, Carbohydrates 20.5g
- WW POINTS: SmartPoints: 4, Points Plus: 3, Old Points Program: 2