My husband’s favorite type of ice cream = Mint Chocolate Chip. He loves this homemade low fat version too!
Low Fat Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
Prep Time:25 min + chill, process and freeze time
Cook Time:5 min
1 1/2 cups 2% low fat milk, divided
1/4 cup granulated white sugar
1 cup fat-free sweetened condensed milk
3 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons peppermint extract (or to taste)
1/2 cup chocolate chips, chopped
1. Beat eggs with sugar until pale, yellow and foamy.
2. Heat 1 cup of milk slowly until it reaches a simmer. Very gradually beat in the milk with the egg mixture. Return to heat.
3. Heat slowly, while stirring, until mixture slightly thickens (coats the back of a spoon). Be careful... don't heat too quickly or you'll end up with scrambled eggs!
4. Strain egg mixture through a fine mesh sieve into a large bowl. Mix in condensed milk, remaining 1/2 cup milk, and peppermint extract.
5. Refrigerate mixture until completely chilled- at least 8 hours.
6. Freeze in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions. When slightly thickened, add chocolate chips. Freeze until ready to serve.
*If you are preparing this recipe as GLUTEN-FREE, just be sure to use brands of sweetened condensed milk, extract and chocolate chips that are known to be GF.
*Be sure to use peppermint extract and not spearmint.
**As with all ice cream recipes, they will turn out best if the base is thoroughly chilled (at least 8 hours), and if the insert is completely frozen (24 hours or more).
SOURCE: RecipeGirl.com (via "JJSooner" from the Cooking Light Bulletin Board)