I’ve created a pretty darn good Low Fat Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe, so I thought I’d share it with you folks who might be in the same endless-battle with losing weight that I’m in.
These Low Fat Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies are firm but not crispy (kind of like right between a cakey cookie and a firm cookie). They’re not going to be your typical chocolate chip cookie as they’re quite a bit lighter. But they’re a good substitute for the real deal if you’re watching your calories.
These cookies are only 103 calories per cookie and they have 2 grams of fat. They’re a nice, little treat for someone who is managing their diet and calories. And, if you happen to be following the Weight Watchers WW plan, you will find a link to the WW Points on the recipe card at the end of this post.
Notes about these Low Fat Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies:
- The flavor: It’s important to note that this is NOT an overly sweet and indulgent cookie. It’s lightly sweetened, and you get a tiny bit of chocolate pleasure with the chips scattered around the cookie.
- The texture: My son (official cookie monster) liked them a lot and thought they tasted similar in texture and taste to a chocolate chip Clif Bar. I’d have to agree.
How to freeze cookies:
Separate portions into baggies and toss them in the freezer until the mood for cookies strikes. Or put all of your Low Fat Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies into a large, freezer-safe baggie or well-sealed container and freeze for up to 3 months. Enjoy!
The Best Cookie Recipes:
- Celebration Cookies
- Chocolate Drizzled Peanut Butter Cookies
- Eggnog Cookies
- Kahlua Espresso Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Maple Crackletop Cookies
- Texas Sheet Cake Cookies
- Malted Milk Cookies
- Cake Mix Cookies
Low Fat Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- ½ cup granulated white sugar
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⅔ cups quick cooking oats
- 2 tablespoons miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat mat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and allspice.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the sugars, applesauce, melted butter, egg and vanilla until well blended. Add the flour mixture to the applesauce mixture. Mix well. Fold in the oats. At this point, you can decide if you'd like to mix in the chocolate chips or save them to sprinkle on top of each scoop of cookie dough.
- Drop rounded tablespoonfuls (about 1½ tablespoons) onto the baking sheet 2-inches apart. You should end up with about 22 cookies. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until set. Remove from oven and cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes; remove to a wire rack to cool completely.