This is the best recipe for a chilly day: Chicken Butternut Squash Chili
I remember making this recipe for the first time when I was visiting my big sister in Tacoma, Washington. When my sister and I are together, we tend to like to make soups and chili… and I had this recipe ready to go so I brought it with me and we made it and enjoyed it on a chilly autumn day.
You can use frozen butternut squash, if you’d like, for a shortcut to make the recipe a little easier.
And if there is anything in the recipe that you don’t like– such as olives or beans– you can certainly leave those things out. This is a great chili recipe!
Yield: 6 servings
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Chicken Butternut Squash Chili
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped sweet onion
- 2 cups chopped red bell pepper
- 2 cups chopped green bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons minced jalapeño (seeds removed)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup beer
- 1 cup low-sodium, fat-free chicken broth
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander seed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (28 ounce) can chopped tomatoes, with juice
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 2 cups cooked butternut squash, peeled & cubed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 (15.75 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed & drained
- sliced scallions, cheddar cheese & sour cream, for topping (optional)
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium heat. Sauté the onions until lightly browned- about 8 minutes.
- Add the bell peppers, jalapeño and garlic. Sauté for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add the beer, broth, olives, chili powder, coriander, salt, tomatoes and chicken. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat, cover partially and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the squash, cilantro, cocoa and beans. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve in individual bowls, topped with cheese, sour cream and scallions.
- Try using cooked pumpkin in place of the butternut squash.
- Try using double quantities of jalapeno, garlic, coriander and cilantro for more spice!
- Nutritional Information per serving (Serving size: 1/6th of the chili) Calories: 321, Fat: 8.25g, Saturated Fat: 1.5g, Sugar: 8.75g, Fiber: 9.5g, Protein: 26g, Cholesterol: 44mg, Carbohydrates: 39.5g
- WW POINTS per serving: SmartPoints: 5, Points Plus: 8, Old Points: 9