Chewy Gooey Flourless Chocolate Cookies

This recipe has been featured in a post on The Recipe Girl blog: Black Friday Cookies

Yield: 24 cookies

Prep Time: 25 min

Cook Time: 14 min

Chewy Gooey Flourless Chocolate Cookies

Nicknamed "Black Friday Cookies," these treats can be mixed up and baked rather quickly to enjoy after a long day of shopping on Black Friday... the day after the American Thanksgiving.

3 cups powdered sugar
2/3 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 to 4 large egg whites, at room temperature
1 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups bittersweet chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper (or silpat mats). If you use parchment paper, give it a light swoosh of nonstick spray.

2. In a large bowl, whisk together powdered sugar with cocoa powder and salt. Whisk in egg whites (start w/ just two) and vanilla extract and beat just until the batter is moistened. You're looking for a brownie-like, thick and fudgy batter consistency. If it seems too thick, add another egg white-- then a 4th one if it still seems too thick. Gently stir in chocolate chips.

3. Spoon batter onto the prepared baking sheets in 12 evenly spaced mounds per cookie sheet. I like to use a spring-release cookie scoop. Bake about 14 minutes, until the tops are glossy and lightly cracked. Slide the parchment paper (with the cookies) onto wire racks. Let cookies cool completely, and store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.

*If you're baking this as a "gluten-free" recipe, just make sure that the brand of chocolate chips you are using is gluten free.
*Let the cookies cool completely before you attempt to remove them from the mat or the parchment. They're delicate, so gently peeling the paper away from the cookie works best.

Source: (Adapted from Francois Payard's Chocolate Epiphany )

82 Responses to “Chewy Gooey Flourless Chocolate Cookies”

1. postedNov 26, 2010 5:52 PM

these are so good! just made these tonight.

2. postedNov 28, 2010 12:11 PM

Delicious, but mine spread (too many egg whites — I used 3) after I plopped them on a cookie sheet. They turned into disks/cushions after baking — tasted like a shot of expresso in each cookie — so rich! Thanks for sharing!

3. postedNov 29, 2010 11:43 AM

Lol I did something wrong with the thickness I think because they spread out and morphed into eachother. They’re good brownies though! Used the rest of the batter in a pan to make brownies and all is good. I must have used too many egg whites. x:

4. postedNov 30, 2010 2:04 PM

Made these today! They are absolutely delicious. Here’s how mine turned out:

5. postedDec 1, 2010 7:10 PM

these sound great! i’m always looking for flourless cookie recipes.

6. postedDec 2, 2010 4:46 PM
    Lindsay K

I love these cookies!! I found that 2 1/2 egg whites was the perfect amount. I even substituted 1/2 a cup of peanut butter chips for some of the chocolate ones. They were great!!

7. postedJan 25, 2011 7:46 AM

I just made these and they are so unbelievably delicious and easy! Thank you!

8. postedMay 6, 2011 7:24 PM

I made these and wrote about them on my blog–delicious!

9. postedMay 17, 2011 2:06 PM

What a beautiful picture! I think I need to make a batch of these, like now!

10. postedAug 15, 2011 4:01 PM

Hello.. I was wondering if I could make these into brownies? Do you think the batter would cover a 8×8 pan?

• August 15th, 2011 @ 7:48 PM

These are not in any way a brownie consistency. I wouldn’t recommend trying this recipe for that!

11. postedAug 20, 2011 6:44 PM

I know this is an old post, but I wanted to let you know I just made this recipe. We loved it! I had problems with getting the consistency right. After three egg whites it was too stiff and four made it too thin, but I added a little more powdered sugar and cocoa powder and got it just right. Other than that is was fantastic. Easy enough for me to make with my toddler, and tasty enough to please my chocoholic hubby! Thanks for a great recipe.

• August 20th, 2011 @ 8:29 PM

Excellent- glad you got them to work out. The consistency can be fussy to figure out since between 3 and 4 egg whites is just about right.

12. postedSep 9, 2011 8:20 PM

I tried this today, and it was quite a disaster.. haha. The batter was thin, so I add more cocoa powder and sugar and I overwhisk the batter. The cookie spread and ballooned up. When the cookies are totally cooled, it got stuck to the parchment paper. I do not have non-stick spray, so I used cooking oil.. maybe i should use butter instead.
    I put some ground oats to the balance of the batter and they became oat cookie :)

• September 9th, 2011 @ 8:51 PM

They can definitely be a tricky cookie to make. If you get the consistency just right, they’re awesome!

13. postedNov 28, 2011 1:14 PM

I am going to make these this afternoon stat!

14. postedDec 12, 2011 1:15 PM

I just pulled my first tray out of the oven and they turned out pretty well. I think i used 3 egg whites (I had them all in the same bowl coming to room temperature so I had to eye ball it) though they did spread out and puff up pretty big, they turned out well. I left the batter pretty thick as i had read all the above comments and they all said the cookies spread out, so I left it pretty thick on purpose, but it worked for me! I think if I had put that last one in, I would have had a big sheet of flourless gooey cookie mess. The only thing I had different is milk chocolate chips instead of the semi-sweet (that’s what I had on hand) they are pretty sweet… I think if I make this recipe again I will go either just dark chocolate chips or semi sweet if that’s what I can find.
    One question for you Lori – Do these freeze well? I just read that they only stay fresh for up to 3 days… Please advise :)

• December 13th, 2011 @ 9:53 AM

Hi Sarah,
      I didn’t try freezing them, so I’m not sure! I would think they’d be okay for at least a little while in the freezer.

15. postedDec 12, 2011 1:17 PM

P.S they look amazing! A decadent cookie treat for sure :) thanks for sharing the recipe!

16. postedJan 7, 2012 8:08 AM

Can you use cocoa powder?

• January 7th, 2012 @ 12:42 PM

No, this recipe is meant for the Dutch process type of powder, not regular cocoa powder.

17. postedJan 7, 2012 11:03 AM

How are these carb-wise? I’m trying to limit the carbs me and my hubby take in! Thanks for the info!

18. postedJan 8, 2012 10:59 AM

Saw this on pinterest and I’m curious to know how big a batch is?

• January 8th, 2012 @ 11:11 AM

24 cookies

19. postedJan 9, 2012 4:57 PM

I made a half batch of these and I found it easiest to use liquid egg whites because I could just drizzle in a little more until I got the consistency I wanted. I made the batter thicker and they came out wonderful!

• January 10th, 2012 @ 6:28 AM

Great tip!

20. postedJan 27, 2012 8:39 AM

Will the cookies turn out ok if I add some pecans to the mix?

• January 27th, 2012 @ 1:12 PM

Haven’t tried- but I would imagine they’d be fine.

21. postedJan 28, 2012 2:49 AM

chocolate cookies look fabulous, i’d like a whole jar of these :-)

22. postedJan 28, 2012 1:29 PM
    Tina K

Found this on Pinterest yesterday & made today. Follow the directions and suggestions and you will have yummy ooey gooey cookies. Regular cocoa powder is all I had and it worked just fine. I ended up using three egg whites. Placed dough in fridge for a few minutes along with the pan seemed to be the trick. Definitely will make again!

23. postedMar 14, 2012 6:26 PM

I added chopped dried cherries instead of chocolate chips … they are amazing !!!

24. postedApr 7, 2012 10:31 AM

Just made a batch of these this morning for the second night of Passover. Not sure they’ll make it until then-so easy and delicious!!

25. postedApr 9, 2012 10:09 AM

These were fantastic – I stuck with only two egg whites and it was crazy thick batter, but it dropped nicely with my cookie scoop onto the parchment and they slid right off the parchment out of the oven. Next time I might add a teaspoon of instant espresso powder or some cinnamon or orange zest, these were enjoyed by everyone – not just the gluten-free crowd I’d baked them for. Thanks for the great recipe!

26. postedApr 12, 2012 11:41 AM

Lori, thank you for this recipe! I made them to serve to my family on Passover, and they were a huge hit! I posted about them today too. Thanks again!

27. postedApr 28, 2012 2:49 PM

These look so good .. I will have to try them , even though I am not much of a baker

28. postedMay 9, 2012 10:32 AM

Lori, these are my go-to cookie-always a hit! Thank you! My questions is why do you need to whisk in the egg whites and the remaining ingredients? Would a wooden spoon or a low speed mixer adversely affect these cookies? Thanks again!

• May 10th, 2012 @ 1:02 PM

Not sure- following a recipe from a famous chef… there must be a method to the madness!

29. postedJul 9, 2012 1:54 PM

Made these today as I’m in training for a sporting event and needed something sweet, without a lot of calories and they were perfect! Here’s the nutritional info :
    Amount Per Serving

Dietary Fiber 1.3 g

Sugars 13.3 g

Protein 1.2 g

• July 10th, 2012 @ 3:47 AM

Thank you !

30. postedSep 2, 2012 12:11 PM

How do you keep the edges from burning?

• September 3rd, 2012 @ 5:10 PM

Baking on parchment or a silpat mat usually helps prevent edges from burning.

31. postedSep 9, 2012 7:11 PM

• September 9th, 2012 @ 10:57 PM

not really- should have a crispy exterior.

32. postedSep 23, 2012 8:56 PM

not familiar with “dutch-process cocoa powder” and i live in mexico-so not sure i could even find it….can you give me some brand names or substitutes for this?

33. postedSep 26, 2012 4:41 PM

I’ve been making these since Passover (found recipe on Pinterest). They are always a hit and today I made them to break fast at Yom Kippur-I have never seen them disappear as quickly as they did tonight. I had a tough crowd to please and within minutes of serving them they were gone!! Finally after many months I’ve gotten the consistency right (I use 3 egg whites)-might have to try peanut butter chips as well net time. I used 1/2 milk and 1/2 semi sweet chips this time. Thanks so much for the recipe, it’s definitely become my “go to” cookie!

• September 26th, 2012 @ 4:55 PM

Great to hear!!

34. postedJan 5, 2013 5:24 PM

Has anyone, who is familiar with this recipe, measured out the total whites needed… either wet measure or using a kitchen scale? It would be nice to have a measured amount for those who do not know what we are going for.

35. postedJan 26, 2013 12:25 PM

anyone know the calorie content for one cookie?

36. postedApr 16, 2013 5:51 PM

I just made these tonight for work tomorrow. They’re delicious! I have a coworker with Celia disease, so I’m always looking for yummy treats we can all enjoy.

My sister is gluten-intolerant due to lupus and my niece is allergic to wheat, so I’ll definitely be telling her about these!

37. postedJun 24, 2013 7:06 AM

Made these yesterday and they are awesome! They taste just like Whole Foods chocolate chewies but better! So easy to make and so rich-I am making a new batch tonight since this batch is all gone – I brought them in to the office.

38. postedAug 2, 2013 2:11 PM
    Carrie Reisenauer

They look great. Do these cookies freeze well?

• August 3rd, 2013 @ 5:55 AM

I would think so… just seal them well.

39. postedOct 5, 2013 8:26 PM
    Joe Bob

Was good cookies and recipe but when I took them out of the oven they were burnt onto the wax paper. Good recipe over all just needs some more work on directions.

40. postedNov 29, 2013 2:40 PM

I was just curious if you could use the full egg instead of just whites…what would the difference be??

• December 1st, 2013 @ 7:44 PM

I don’t believe you’d get the same result.

41. postedDec 1, 2013 12:09 PM

I just made these. I used 1 cup of mini semi-sweet chocolate chips and added a cup of nuts. AMAZING!! Thanks for sharing recipe.

42. postedDec 1, 2013 12:12 PM

I also used Hershey’s cocoa because that’s all I had!! Turned out great!!

• December 1st, 2013 @ 7:38 PM

good to know- happy you enjoyed!

43. postedDec 5, 2013 2:55 PM

Can these be frozen?

• December 7th, 2013 @ 6:03 AM

I think so!

44. postedJan 10, 2014 4:43 PM

I made these with Hersey cocoa powder and they still tasted great. Three egg whites makes the batter too runny to make a plump cookie. They will end up spreading out and being thin. However they are still gooey.

45. postedJan 18, 2014 10:43 AM

Thank you so much for this recipe! I made them last week and they turned out delicious! Even the husband liked them. “These are so good, they’re like the chewy edges on the brownies!”

46. postedJan 25, 2014 10:58 AM
    Lindsay r

I have an obsession with WF’s chocolate chewies and after 2 attempts to purchase them this week at the store (they were out of stock both times!), I decided to reference this recipe I had pinned some time ago. Omg, these were amazing–better than whole foods and I had everything on hand. Thanks so much for sharing a great recipe!! Easy and awesome!!

47. postedFeb 9, 2014 4:19 PM

Light and crisp on the outside and chewy gooey on the inside. This recipe is definitely a keeper. Thanks for sharing…

48. postedMar 6, 2014 12:54 PM

I wonder how they might come out if I were to use powdered Stevia?

I’ll let you know!

49. postedApr 13, 2014 12:29 PM
    Karen @BakingInATornado

Just wanted to let you know that I found your recipe here a few years ago, made them for Passover and my family loved them.
    Today I made them again and took a pic to put on my fb page. Someone asked for the recipe. Of course I don’t give others’ recipes out as my own so in response left her this link.

50. postedJun 16, 2014 12:45 PM

Thanks so much for this recipe! made them a few times and everyone loves them. Shared it on Facebook with a link to the recipe on your site. :) Your site is one of the few cooking ones that consistently has awesomely delicious recipes. thanks so much! – Amy

• June 16th, 2014 @ 8:14 PM

Thanks for that compliment!

51. postedAug 13, 2014 6:30 AM

I pinned this recipe so long ago and finally got around to making it. Best decision ever! They were fantastic, and super sweet, so that kept me from indulging in more than one :) I did adjust the recipe and went with a really thick batter and it worked perfectly (less eggs.) I found this did not cause sticking to the parchment paper (I allowed them to cool for 10 minutes I believe and carefully transferred them to a wire rack.)

52. postedSep 28, 2014 2:23 PM

Hi Lori,

Just wondering, do you know of anyone using splenda or other artificial sweeteners with this recipe instead of the powdered sugar?

• October 1st, 2014 @ 9:45 PM

I don’t know- sorry!

53. postedNov 11, 2014 8:08 PM

I just made this tonight and I used 3 room temp egg whites and they came out absolutely perfect!! Thank you for the yummy recipe!!

54. postedNov 16, 2014 3:40 PM

Made these today -came out perfect and delicious! Used 3 egg whites and Hersey’s Cocoa. Would make again!

55. postedDec 16, 2014 12:40 PM

Just wanted to let you know that while I haven’t personally made these (yet!), I did have the chance to try one that a friend brought over. OH. MY. GOD. Could quite possibly be the best cookie I have ever had! She shared your recipe and I plan on making them for Christmas. I had to share, they are THAT good :)

56. postedJun 12, 2015 9:49 PM

these did not work for me.  The first cookie sheet burnt after 11 minutes.  Took the second batch out at 10 and they were okay.  Third batch I turned down to 335 degrees and watched them closely.  They didn’t puff up and had to scrape them off the parchment paper.  I followed the instructions and this this was big waste of money.  Second batch that turned out were hard by the third day kept in a sealed Rubbermaid container.

57. postedJun 30, 2015 4:19 PM

What type of cocoa did u use?

• July 3rd, 2015 @ 5:49 AM

I ordered Dutch process cocoa from Amazon. Don’t recall the brand though.