A delicious and tender scone recipe: Apple Cream Scones
Yield: 8 scones
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Apple Cream Scones
- 2 cups chopped Granny Smith apple
- 6 Tablespoons butter
- 1 Tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1 teaspoon hot water
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons coarse sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a medium skillet, saute the apple in 2 Tablespoons butter until tender and the liquid is almost absorbed, stirring often. Set aside and let cool.
- In medium bowl, dissolve the coffee in the hot water; stir in the cream.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in the remaining butter with a pastry blender (or two knives) until the pieces resemble coarse crumbs. Add the apples and coffee mixture, stirring just until the dough clings together.
- Dump the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead 6 times. Place onto an ungreased cookie sheet and pat the dough into an 8-inch circle. Top with coarse sugar. Cut into 8 wedges; separating them slightly.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until cooked through. Cool slightly; separate. Serve warm.