Yield: 8 servings
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 40 min
Custard Bread Pudding
2 cups whole milk
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
5 large eggs, beaten slightly
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup granulated white sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 cups dry bread cubes (5-6 slices)
ground cinnamon and nutmeg
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Scald the milk and cream in a heavy-bottomed saucepan (do not boil). Stir in the butter to melt. Set the pan aside to cool slightly.
3. In a mixing bowl, combine the beaten eggs, vanilla, sugar, and salt. Very gradually stir the warm milk into the egg mixture. Then stir in the bread cubes.
4. Butter a 2 quart baking dish and pour in the custard. Sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg. Set the dish inside a larger pan of 1/2-inch hot water.
5. Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until the custard sets and a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.