Cupcakes at Ninety Three

Do you wish to live until the ripe-old-age of Ninety Three? I’d say if you make it that far, you’ve lived a good, long life. I can only hope that I’ll be living well into my nineties, still cooking up a storm, food blogging with ninety-three-year-old wisdom, and basking in the joy of numerous grandchildren. And I would still like someone to make me a cupcake on my 93rd birthday.

And I’d say it should have loads of chocolatey frosting on it. No store-bought mixes please. Devil’s Food Cupcakes will do.

Sprinkles are a bonus. And one candle will suffice.

If someone wants to take the time to give me a party, that would be nice. I should like to celebrate longevity and sample simple and exotic foods that have sustained me in my long life. I’d want plenty of my old-timer friends and family to join me in the celebration.

Our Monsignor friend turned 93 last weekend, and my hubby took him to dinner. He wanted to bring along a little dessert to share, so I sent a variety of these Devil’s Food Cupcakes. Monsignor has lived a fabulous, long life filled with faith, charity and people. He was even the chaplain of the football team for a major university and has authored a book. I’d say that’s a life well-lived. I can only be so lucky…

This recipe can be found HERE.

50 Responses to “Cupcakes at Ninety Three”

Manggy — September 9, 2008 @ 3:10 PM

Well, I would volunteer, but I think I’ll also be very old when you’re 93– but I hope I’ll still be baking then :) Blogging too if that’s still a thing when I’m that old!
    The cupcakes look yummy– devil’s food is one of my favorite flavors :)

Live.Love.Eat — September 9, 2008 @ 3:21 PM

These look beautiful. I love the way the frosting in the 1st pic is just lightly flowing over the left side of the cupcake. Beautiful!!!!

Sharon — September 9, 2008 @ 3:50 PM

Wow, 93? I have a long way to go. Happy birthday to him and glad he has beautiful cupcakes to help celebrate!

Maria — September 9, 2008 @ 3:51 PM

Happy 93rd! I hope I am still going strong when I am that old! Great looking cupcakes. I love the fun sprinkles!

Anita — September 9, 2008 @ 4:08 PM

93 would be amazing – I think of how long I have before then and all the things I hope I could do in that time! I love your very partylicious cupcakes!

Obsessive Foodie or Food Addict....You Decide — September 9, 2008 @ 4:11 PM

I believe I dreamt of cupcakes last night………………

Katrina — September 9, 2008 @ 4:51 PM

I just don’t have me a cupcake often enough. Looks so inviting and yummy–it IS chocolate!

Nina Timm — September 9, 2008 @ 5:16 PM

My gran died at the good age of 97 and I miss her dearly. I am so fond of elderly people, I sit hour just marveling at their stories.
    I love the cute cupcakes…

Maria — September 9, 2008 @ 5:47 PM

Wow these cupcakes are just beautiful!!

Maria
    x

moowiesqrd — September 9, 2008 @ 6:34 PM

Lori, you’re killing me… I almost ate my computer monitor. My Achilles heel is a chocolate cupcake with frosting and sprinkles. Can’t forget the sprinkles. Happy 93rd to your Monsignor! I agree, cupcakes at 93 sound like an awesome way to celebrate life.

Clumbsy Cookie — September 9, 2008 @ 7:05 PM

If we live till 93 I think cupcakes are the perfect way to celebrate, because they’re soft ans can be eaten without teeth!
    My great-grandma lived till 102 and I’m sure she would have loved these when she was still a young 93 years old gal!
    They look great!

Marjie — September 9, 2008 @ 8:03 PM

How nice of you to help make someone’s birthday happy – especially the 93rd birthday! These cupcakes are very nice looking. Your post reminded me of the neighbor across the street when I moved in. She said she was 93 then, and still said she was 93 when she died 3 years later. Her favorite statement was “Getting old is not for sissies!”

Mike of Mike's Table — September 9, 2008 @ 8:35 PM

Those cupcakes look like they’d make anyone’s day at any age. Devil’s food is one of the best cake flavors out there

Brittany — September 9, 2008 @ 10:02 PM

MMMm- those look nommy! Makes me wish it was my birthday…well, not my 93rd birthday, though I’s love to still be baking at that time!

Leslie — September 9, 2008 @ 10:53 PM

I love the elder folks!!!I will would be happy to make you some cupcakes for your 93rd!

Jan — September 10, 2008 @ 12:03 AM

I bet the monsignor was highly delighted with these. What an amazing age to arrive at!

StickyGooeyCreamyChewy — September 10, 2008 @ 12:09 AM

Thank you Lori. Those cupcakes look amazing! I’d live to 193 if I could. There’s so much good stuff left to do!

the southern hostess — September 10, 2008 @ 12:43 AM

These look so tasty!

Ginny — September 10, 2008 @ 1:15 AM

I’ve been craving chocolate so badly…this is not helping! delicious! :)

noble pig — September 10, 2008 @ 4:50 AM

I’ll take the one with coconut please! So yummy!

alexandra's kitchen — September 10, 2008 @ 6:57 AM

So cute! I hope someone brings me cupcakes when I’m 93.

My last day of class is tomorrow. I’m going to make these for my classmates. yayyy!

Emiline — September 10, 2008 @ 9:38 AM

I wish you were my friend. :)
    These cupcakes are beautiful! I’m in the mood for sprinkles.

Veronica — September 10, 2008 @ 11:46 AM

I would love to live to 93 and have someone bake me a delicious looking batch of cupcakes like that.

Grace — September 10, 2008 @ 12:10 PM

i’m feeling an irresistible urge to lick the frosting that’s hanging off that first cupcake.
    this is what i call motivation to live to 93. :)

hot garlic — September 10, 2008 @ 12:51 PM

I hope I’m still baking away at 93 too! These cupcakes are making my belly rumble! You always have such a cute presentation.

Bellini Valli — September 10, 2008 @ 12:53 PM

I’ll be looking for these at the dessert table:D

~Priscilla~ — September 10, 2008 @ 1:11 PM

that frosting looks so good! so do the cupcakes! hope you make it to 93, but that is a LONG way away!:)

Tarah at Genesis of a Cook — September 10, 2008 @ 1:31 PM

Mmm, how could you go wrong with these, right? They look gorgeous!

The frosting is amazing! Especially in the first photo with the frosting about to drop off. Beautiful!

Ivy — September 10, 2008 @ 1:47 PM

Those cupcakes would be suitable for celebrating 1 year old to 100 year old. They are so devilish. I’ll look for them at the party.

VeggieGirl — September 10, 2008 @ 2:05 PM

My grandfather just turned 91 last month, and I swear to you that he doesn’t look a day over 75; and he’s still quite active as well!! It’s great :0) Happy birthday to your dear friend!! And I do hope that YOU will continue to bake when you reach that age, Recipe Girl!! But no worries – you have MORE than enough time to think about that, since you’re nowhere close to that age.

HoneyB — September 10, 2008 @ 3:43 PM

Yay! Your feed is coming through correctly to my blog now! I’m HAPPY!

These cupcakes look awesome. Of course, its almost lunch here and I’m wishing I had one in front of me for real!

Brilynn — September 10, 2008 @ 4:44 PM

I think those cupcakes would be perfect for a celebration at any age, they look great! (And no boxed cake mixes for me either please!)

Patsyk — September 10, 2008 @ 4:47 PM

I’d love those cupcakes for any celebration! They look so fabulous!

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen — September 10, 2008 @ 5:08 PM

I hope we all can celebrate our 93′s with each other – they should have perfected teleportation by then, right???

These are festive and beautiful the perfect treat to celebrate 93 years of life! What an honor!

Proud Italian Cook — September 10, 2008 @ 6:36 PM

Lori, It’s working now! Thanks!

Meg — September 10, 2008 @ 9:38 PM

I am sure he loved these treats for such a milestone. Just looking at them makes me happy!

Debbie — September 10, 2008 @ 10:24 PM

Your cupcakes look delicious…we should all live to be 93!!!

Adam — September 10, 2008 @ 10:40 PM

Those cupcakes look so gooey with that overflowing frosting. Soooo good :)

Would I live to 93? I’d live as far as I can and still be fun, moving, and laughing.

Fran — September 11, 2008 @ 2:00 AM

It was eerie to read this post because yesterday I predicted I would live to 93 – and then today I made chocolate cupcakes with chocolate frosting (which came out mouthwatering and look terrific)!

Cookie baker Lynn — September 11, 2008 @ 2:41 AM

Those cupcakes look like the perfect way to help celebrate 93 wonderful years.

Dee — September 11, 2008 @ 3:10 AM

I think it’s really sweet, what you did. I hope someone bakes me scrummy chocolate cupcakes when I’m 93; I wish someone did when I turned 38 :(

Here’s to full, meaningful lives!

Núria — September 11, 2008 @ 8:06 AM

How cute of you!!!! It’s such a sweet post :D . My grandmom died when she was 93 (some years ago), If I had given her your beautiful cupcakes I’m sure she would have lived another more year ;D

Nicole — September 11, 2008 @ 3:40 PM

Such sweet cupcakes. I have to decide what to bring to the blogoversary as well!

Deborah — September 11, 2008 @ 5:34 PM

My sister told me the other day that she read somewhere that they our predicting our generation to live until 110. I can’t even imagine it! But if I do, I’ll take a few of these cupcakes (and maybe I want lots on my way to 110 as well!)

Ryo — September 11, 2008 @ 9:04 PM

wow, I wanna live to be 93! What a great birthday cupcake!

Tanya — September 12, 2008 @ 2:52 AM

Those looke divine. Chocolate and more chocolate. My favorite!

farida — September 13, 2008 @ 3:43 AM

Happy 93 to your friend! Your cupcakes look good!

Kristen — September 13, 2008 @ 8:25 PM

Ahhhh – lets all get together at 93 and bake cupcakes and have a blog roundup about it. I love it! :)

Lori Lynn — September 14, 2008 @ 8:02 AM

Oh how absolutely sweet!
    Happy Birthday M!

Rosie — September 18, 2008 @ 5:29 PM

Happy 93rd that is some feat!!

I would hope to be baking and blogging at that age wouldn’t it be great!

Those cupcakes are awesome :)

Rosie x