Cupcakes at Ninety Three

Do you wish to live until the ripe-old-age of Ninety Three? I’d say if you make it that far, you’ve lived a good, long life. I can only hope that I’ll be living well into my nineties, still cooking up a storm, food blogging with ninety-three-year-old wisdom, and basking in the joy of numerous grandchildren. And I would still like someone to make me a cupcake on my 93rd birthday.

And I’d say it should have loads of chocolatey frosting on it. No store-bought mixes please. Devil’s Food Cupcakes will do.

Sprinkles are a bonus. And one candle will suffice.

If someone wants to take the time to give me a party, that would be nice. I should like to celebrate longevity and sample simple and exotic foods that have sustained me in my long life. I’d want plenty of my old-timer friends and family to join me in the celebration.

Our Monsignor friend turned 93 last weekend, and my hubby took him to dinner. He wanted to bring along a little dessert to share, so I sent a variety of these Devil’s Food Cupcakes. Monsignor has lived a fabulous, long life filled with faith, charity and people. He was even the chaplain of the football team for a major university and has authored a book. I’d say that’s a life well-lived. I can only be so lucky…

This recipe can be found HERE.

50 Responses to “Cupcakes at Ninety Three”

1. postedSep 9, 2008 3:10 PM
    Manggy

Well, I would volunteer, but I think I’ll also be very old when you’re 93– but I hope I’ll still be baking then :) Blogging too if that’s still a thing when I’m that old!
    The cupcakes look yummy– devil’s food is one of my favorite flavors :)

2. postedSep 9, 2008 3:21 PM
    Live.Love.Eat

These look beautiful. I love the way the frosting in the 1st pic is just lightly flowing over the left side of the cupcake. Beautiful!!!!

3. postedSep 9, 2008 3:50 PM
    Sharon

Wow, 93? I have a long way to go. Happy birthday to him and glad he has beautiful cupcakes to help celebrate!

4. postedSep 9, 2008 3:51 PM
    Maria

Happy 93rd! I hope I am still going strong when I am that old! Great looking cupcakes. I love the fun sprinkles!

5. postedSep 9, 2008 4:08 PM
    Anita

93 would be amazing – I think of how long I have before then and all the things I hope I could do in that time! I love your very partylicious cupcakes!

6. postedSep 9, 2008 4:11 PM
    Obsessive Foodie or Food Addict....You Decide

I believe I dreamt of cupcakes last night………………

7. postedSep 9, 2008 4:51 PM
    Katrina

I just don’t have me a cupcake often enough. Looks so inviting and yummy–it IS chocolate!

8. postedSep 9, 2008 5:16 PM
    Nina Timm

My gran died at the good age of 97 and I miss her dearly. I am so fond of elderly people, I sit hour just marveling at their stories.
    I love the cute cupcakes…

9. postedSep 9, 2008 5:47 PM
    Maria

Wow these cupcakes are just beautiful!!

Maria
    x

10. postedSep 9, 2008 6:34 PM
    moowiesqrd

Lori, you’re killing me… I almost ate my computer monitor. My Achilles heel is a chocolate cupcake with frosting and sprinkles. Can’t forget the sprinkles. Happy 93rd to your Monsignor! I agree, cupcakes at 93 sound like an awesome way to celebrate life.

11. postedSep 9, 2008 7:05 PM
    Clumbsy Cookie

If we live till 93 I think cupcakes are the perfect way to celebrate, because they’re soft ans can be eaten without teeth!
    My great-grandma lived till 102 and I’m sure she would have loved these when she was still a young 93 years old gal!
    They look great!

12. postedSep 9, 2008 8:03 PM
    Marjie

How nice of you to help make someone’s birthday happy – especially the 93rd birthday! These cupcakes are very nice looking. Your post reminded me of the neighbor across the street when I moved in. She said she was 93 then, and still said she was 93 when she died 3 years later. Her favorite statement was “Getting old is not for sissies!”

13. postedSep 9, 2008 8:35 PM
    Mike of Mike's Table

Those cupcakes look like they’d make anyone’s day at any age. Devil’s food is one of the best cake flavors out there

14. postedSep 9, 2008 10:02 PM
    Brittany

MMMm- those look nommy! Makes me wish it was my birthday…well, not my 93rd birthday, though I’s love to still be baking at that time!

15. postedSep 9, 2008 10:53 PM
    Leslie

I love the elder folks!!!I will would be happy to make you some cupcakes for your 93rd!

16. postedSep 10, 2008 12:03 AM
    Jan

I bet the monsignor was highly delighted with these. What an amazing age to arrive at!

17. postedSep 10, 2008 12:09 AM
    StickyGooeyCreamyChewy

Thank you Lori. Those cupcakes look amazing! I’d live to 193 if I could. There’s so much good stuff left to do!

18. postedSep 10, 2008 12:43 AM
    the southern hostess

These look so tasty!

19. postedSep 10, 2008 1:15 AM
    Ginny

I’ve been craving chocolate so badly…this is not helping! delicious! :)

20. postedSep 10, 2008 4:50 AM
    noble pig

I’ll take the one with coconut please! So yummy!

21. postedSep 10, 2008 6:57 AM
    alexandra's kitchen

So cute! I hope someone brings me cupcakes when I’m 93.

My last day of class is tomorrow. I’m going to make these for my classmates. yayyy!

22. postedSep 10, 2008 9:38 AM
    Emiline

I wish you were my friend. :)
    These cupcakes are beautiful! I’m in the mood for sprinkles.

23. postedSep 10, 2008 11:46 AM
    Veronica

I would love to live to 93 and have someone bake me a delicious looking batch of cupcakes like that.

24. postedSep 10, 2008 12:10 PM
    Grace

i’m feeling an irresistible urge to lick the frosting that’s hanging off that first cupcake.
    this is what i call motivation to live to 93. :)

25. postedSep 10, 2008 12:51 PM
    hot garlic

I hope I’m still baking away at 93 too! These cupcakes are making my belly rumble! You always have such a cute presentation.

26. postedSep 10, 2008 12:53 PM
    Bellini Valli

I’ll be looking for these at the dessert table:D

27. postedSep 10, 2008 1:11 PM
    ~Priscilla~

that frosting looks so good! so do the cupcakes! hope you make it to 93, but that is a LONG way away!:)

28. postedSep 10, 2008 1:31 PM
    Tarah at Genesis of a Cook

Mmm, how could you go wrong with these, right? They look gorgeous!

The frosting is amazing! Especially in the first photo with the frosting about to drop off. Beautiful!

29. postedSep 10, 2008 1:47 PM
    Ivy

Those cupcakes would be suitable for celebrating 1 year old to 100 year old. They are so devilish. I’ll look for them at the party.

30. postedSep 10, 2008 2:05 PM
    VeggieGirl

My grandfather just turned 91 last month, and I swear to you that he doesn’t look a day over 75; and he’s still quite active as well!! It’s great :0) Happy birthday to your dear friend!! And I do hope that YOU will continue to bake when you reach that age, Recipe Girl!! But no worries – you have MORE than enough time to think about that, since you’re nowhere close to that age.

31. postedSep 10, 2008 3:43 PM
    HoneyB

Yay! Your feed is coming through correctly to my blog now! I’m HAPPY!

These cupcakes look awesome. Of course, its almost lunch here and I’m wishing I had one in front of me for real!

32. postedSep 10, 2008 4:44 PM
    Brilynn

I think those cupcakes would be perfect for a celebration at any age, they look great! (And no boxed cake mixes for me either please!)

33. postedSep 10, 2008 4:47 PM
    Patsyk

I’d love those cupcakes for any celebration! They look so fabulous!

34. postedSep 10, 2008 5:08 PM
    JennDZ - The Leftover Queen

I hope we all can celebrate our 93’s with each other – they should have perfected teleportation by then, right???

These are festive and beautiful the perfect treat to celebrate 93 years of life! What an honor!

35. postedSep 10, 2008 6:36 PM
    Proud Italian Cook

Lori, It’s working now! Thanks!

36. postedSep 10, 2008 9:38 PM
    Meg

I am sure he loved these treats for such a milestone. Just looking at them makes me happy!

37. postedSep 10, 2008 10:24 PM
    Debbie

Your cupcakes look delicious…we should all live to be 93!!!

38. postedSep 10, 2008 10:40 PM
    Adam

Those cupcakes look so gooey with that overflowing frosting. Soooo good :)

Would I live to 93? I’d live as far as I can and still be fun, moving, and laughing.

39. postedSep 11, 2008 2:00 AM
    Fran

It was eerie to read this post because yesterday I predicted I would live to 93 – and then today I made chocolate cupcakes with chocolate frosting (which came out mouthwatering and look terrific)!

40. postedSep 11, 2008 2:41 AM
    Cookie baker Lynn

Those cupcakes look like the perfect way to help celebrate 93 wonderful years.

41. postedSep 11, 2008 3:10 AM
    Dee

I think it’s really sweet, what you did. I hope someone bakes me scrummy chocolate cupcakes when I’m 93; I wish someone did when I turned 38 :(

Here’s to full, meaningful lives!

42. postedSep 11, 2008 8:06 AM
    Núria

How cute of you!!!! It’s such a sweet post :D. My grandmom died when she was 93 (some years ago), If I had given her your beautiful cupcakes I’m sure she would have lived another more year ;D

43. postedSep 11, 2008 3:40 PM
    Nicole

Such sweet cupcakes. I have to decide what to bring to the blogoversary as well!

44. postedSep 11, 2008 5:34 PM
    Deborah

My sister told me the other day that she read somewhere that they our predicting our generation to live until 110. I can’t even imagine it! But if I do, I’ll take a few of these cupcakes (and maybe I want lots on my way to 110 as well!)

45. postedSep 11, 2008 9:04 PM
    Ryo

wow, I wanna live to be 93! What a great birthday cupcake!

46. postedSep 12, 2008 2:52 AM
    Tanya

Those looke divine. Chocolate and more chocolate. My favorite!

47. postedSep 13, 2008 3:43 AM
    farida

Happy 93 to your friend! Your cupcakes look good!

48. postedSep 13, 2008 8:25 PM
    Kristen

Ahhhh – lets all get together at 93 and bake cupcakes and have a blog roundup about it. I love it! :)

49. postedSep 14, 2008 8:02 AM
    Lori Lynn

Oh how absolutely sweet!
    Happy Birthday M!

50. postedSep 18, 2008 5:29 PM
    Rosie

Happy 93rd that is some feat!!

I would hope to be baking and blogging at that age wouldn’t it be great!

Those cupcakes are awesome :)

Rosie x