Broccoli and Chicken Salad with Lemon Dressing is a great, lighter salad option.
This isn’t your typical salad. There is no lettuce. And there is no tomato. It’s more of a potato salad that is packed with broccoli, carrots and chicken! So it’s a jazzed up potato salad that doesn’t have a mayonnaise-based dressing. It’s a unique salad, and it’s delicious!
You’ll begin by steaming the potatoes, broccoli and carrots, and then letting them cool to room temperature.
Next you’ll add some chopped red onion. Chopped roasted chicken is tossed in hoisin sauce and honey, and then that’s added to the salad too.
All of these fabulous ingredients are tossed together to evenly distribute everything. And then you’ll be adding the dressing. The dressing is simple and wonderful. Sliced garlic is cooked in a little bit of oil until it’s lightly browned. Lemon juice and fresh chopped thyme are added to the warm garlic oil. And then the warm salad dressing is drizzled over the salad. Toss away!
The dressing is not heavy at all, and it simply provides some light flavor to the salad. This is a nice salad to serve as a side dish to grilled meats. It’s also a fabulous salad to make and enjoy for lunches.
Here are a few more chicken salad recipes you might like to try:
- Chicken Apple Crunch Salad
- White Bean and Roasted Chicken Salad
- Fried Chicken Salad
- Blackberry Chicken Salad
- Strawberry Chicken Salad with Bacon and Avocado
- Grape- Pecan Chicken Salad
- Fruity Curry Chicken Salad
- Asian Chicken Salad
Broccoli and Chicken Salad with Lemon Dressing
- 1 pound red skinned potatoes (unpeeled), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups chopped roasted chicken
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced garlic
- 2½ tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
PREPARE THE SALAD:
- Steam the potatoes and carrots until almost tender (steamer rack set over simmering water), about 9 minutes. Add the broccoli florets to the steamer rack; cover and steam until all vegetables are just tender, about 3 minutes. Transfer the vegetables to a large bowl and cool to room temperature.
- Mix the hoisin and honey in a small bowl. Brush the roasted chicken with the honey- hoisin mixture. Add the chicken and red onion to the bowl of vegetables.
PREPARE THE DRESSING:
- Combine the oil and garlic in a small saucepan. Cook over low heat just until garlic begins to sizzle, about 1 minute. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Whisk in the lemon juice and thyme. Pour the warm dressing over the salad and toss to coat. Season salad to taste with salt and pepper.