This Chicken Apple Salad is a chicken salad that is filled with all kinds of delicious crunch.
Chicken salad is one of those things that I almost always have in my refrigerator. We love to have it for lunch, and we like to have it around for low carb snacking too TIP: use wheat thins or lowfat wheat thins to scoop up chicken apple salad for snacking. It’s wonderful!
What gives this salad its crunch?
There is plenty of chopped apple and chopped celery in this chicken salad to give it a nice, crunchy texture. The Granny Smith apples give it a sweet and tangy flavor, complemented by the sweet dried cranberries too. One sub-in suggestion is to use chopped red grapes in the salad instead of dried cranberries. It’s really good both ways!
The dressing for the salad is fairly light. You’ll just mix a small amount of mayonnaise (low fat is fine), plain Greek yogurt, lemon juice, salt, pepper and a tiny bit of cinnamon.
Serve it in lettuce leaves (as pictured). I like to buy the Boston lettuce leaves because they serve as a nice, little cup for the chicken salad and they are easiest to hold. Or you can make chicken salad sandwiches with regular sandwich bread or better yet… croissants!
This Chicken Apple Salad keeps in the refrigerator for several days. I often double the recipe so my family doesn’t fight over who gets to eat the last of it!
Here are a few more chicken salad recipes you might enjoy:
- Fruity Curry Chicken Salad
- Crunchy Chicken Salad Wraps
- Southern Style Chicken Salad
- Chicken Salad Sandwiches
- Chicken Almond Salad Sandwiches
Chicken Apple Crunch Salad
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken breast
- 1 cup diced Granny Smith apple
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1/3 cup light mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Greek nonfat yogurt
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Combine first 5 ingredients (through green onion) in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the mayonnaise and remaining ingredients, stirring well with a whisk.
- Add the mayonnaise mixture to the chicken mixture, tossing well to coat.
- WW POINTS per serving: Freestyle SmartPoints: 4, Smart Points5, Points Plus 8, Old Points Program: 8
- This recipe is also good when sliced red grapes are substituted for the dried cranberries.
- If preparing this recipe as gluten free, just be sure to use a brand of mayonnaise that is known to be GF.