This is a lower fat Broccoli Salad with Vinaigrette recipe is a delicious change from the usual creamy broccoli salad.
My sister Susie created a Broccoli Salad that is very popular here on the RecipeGirl site. Its dressing is mayonnaise-based, and it has tomatoes, onion, raisins, cashews and bacon in it. It’s really a delicious salad. But sometimes I like to make one that’s a little bit lighter, and that’s what this one has going for it. The dressing here is made of white wine vinegar, sugar and olive oil. It adds a sweetness to the ingredients in the salad, but it’s not as fattening.
- red onion
- red bell pepper
- sliced almonds
- salt and pepper
- white wine vinegar
- white sugar
- olive oil
How to make Broccoli Salad with Vinaigrette:
The complete, printable recipe is at the end of this post.
This salad is so easy to make. Combine the first 7 ingredients (broccoli through bacon) in a large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, sugar and oil. Pour over the broccoli mixture and toss gently to coat.
I think this broccoli salad with vinaigrette is better when covered with plastic wrap and refrigerated for a while. I toss it again before serving. The chill time gives it a chance to let the flavors meld together a bit.
I love the crunch of the almonds and the sweetness of the raisins. Sometimes I use golden raisins instead of the classic brown raisins. Enjoy!
How to toast almonds:
This recipe calls for using toasted almonds. Heat a skillet over medium heat, add sliced almonds to the skillet. Use a wooden spoon to move the almonds around until they are a little bit toasted. Then transfer them to a paper towel and let them cool.
The Best Broccoli Recipes:
- Roasted Broccoli with Asiago
- Broccoli Cheese Casserole
- Sautéed Broccoli with Carrots and Pecans
- Broccoli Potato Soup
- Broccoli with Two Cheese Sauce
Broccoli Salad with Vinaigrette
- 4 cups small broccoli florets (sliced in half, if too big)
- ¼ cup thinly vertically sliced red onion
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
- ¼ cup raisins (golden or regular)
- 2½ tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 slice cooked, drained and crumbled bacon
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons granulated white sugar
- 1½ teaspoons olive oil
- In a large bowl, combine the first 7 ingredients (broccoli through bacon).
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, sugar and oil. Pour over the broccoli mixture and toss gently to coat.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.