A wonderful recipe for a cookout: Vermont Baked Beans
Diced bacon… maple syrup… Dijon mustard? I’m in… These baked beans are gluten-free adaptable- please see tips below the recipe.
Vermont Baked Beans
Prep Time: 30 minutes + soak time
Cook Time: 3 hours, 15 minutes
- 1 pound dried navy beans (about 2 cups)
- cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup diced bacon or salt pork (about 4 ounces)
- 5 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup maple syrup, divided
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- Sort and wash beans; place in a large bowl. Cover with water to 2 inches above beans; cover and let stand 8 hours or overnight. Drain beans.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion and bacon to pan; sauté 5 minutes. Add beans, 5 1/2 cups water, 1/2 cup syrup, mustard, salt, and Tabasco; bring to a boil.
- Cover, remove from stove and place into the oven. Bake for 2 1/2 hours or until beans are tender, stirring occasionally. Uncover and bake an additional 30 minutes or until mixture begins to thicken. Stir in remaining 1/4 cup of syrup; serve.
- If preparing this recipe as GLUTEN FREE- keep a few things in mind: use a brand of bacon that you know is GF. Pure maple syrup is GF. Grey Poupon Dijon and Tabasco brands are both listed as GF.
- Nutrition Facts- Amount Per Serving of 1/2 cup: Calories 233, Calories From Fat (19%) 45, Total Fat 5g, Sat Fat 1.47g, Cholesterol 6.43mg, Sodium 303.08mg, Potassium 540.04mg, Carbohydrates 38.67g, Dietary Fiber 9.5g, Sugar 14.30g, Net Carbs 29g, Protein 10g
- Weight Watchers POINTS : SmartPoints: Points Plus: 6 Old Points Program: 6