This recipe has been featured in a post on The Recipe Girl blog: A Few Happy Fall Desserts
Caramel Pecan Bars w/ Chocolate Drizzle
Yield: 16 servings (16 bars)
Prep Time: 25 min
Cook Time: 30 min
These are absolutely delicious. A bit gooey, but worth every finger lick!
3 Tablespoons butter, softened
1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
30 individual soft caramels (unwrapped)
1 Tablespoon fat-free milk
1/4 cup pecans, sliced lengthwise in half
1 ounce chopped dark chocolate
1 ounce chopped white chocolate
1. Prepare crust: Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8-inch-square baking pan with enough foil to extend 2-inches over the sides; spray foil with nonstick spray.
2. With an electric mixer on low speed, beat butter, brown sugar and vanilla until well mixed. Add flour, beating until it is blended and mixture is crumbly. Press crumb mixture into the bottom of the pan. Bake until crust is lightly browned at the edges, about 15 minutes.
3. Prepare topping: combine caramels and milk in a microwaveable bowl. Microwave for 2 minutes until the mixture is hot, stirring once halfway through the cooking time. Stir again until the mixture is smooth.
4. Pour topping onto the hot crust and spread evenly, leaving a 1/4-inch border along the edge. Place pecans on top..
5. Return the pan to the oven and bake just until the topping is bubbling in the center, about 12 minutes longer. Melt two chocolates separately in microwave and scoop into individual plastic zip baggies. Snip tiny corner of each zip bag and drizzle in a zigzag manner on top of the caramel topping. Cool completely on a rack.
6. Using the foil overhang as handles, transfer to a cutting board. Gently peel away the foil and cut into 16 bars.
*White chocolate is sometimes tricky to melt. If yours isn't melted well, just add about 1/2 teaspoon shortening to the white chocolate and it should smooth it out and melt a little easier.Nutritional Information per serving:
Serving size: 1 bar
Calories per serving: 171
Fat per serving: 7.26g
Saturated Fat per serving: 3.46g
Sugar per serving: 17g
Fiber per serving: 1g
Protein per serving: 2g
Cholesterol per serving: 7mg
Carbohydrates per serving: 25.38g
WW POINTS per serving:
Points Plus Program: 5 Old Points Program: 4
Source: RecipeGirl.com (Adapted from Weight Watcher's Magazine)