Oatmeal Pumpkin Seed Bread (from Artisan Breads in Five)

October is generally our warmest month. It’s the time of year where we fret about hot weather + wind, which creates the recipe to fuel wildfires. I find myself longing for the change of seasons that we typically don’t get here. Beautiful leaf color transformations and crisp, cool weather are nowhere to be found. I’m anxious to rid my closet of shorts and flip flops and replace them with fuzzy sweaters and boots. This week we endured brutal 97 degree heat. Taking advantage of the rather warm, oven-like interior of our house, I decided to bake bread. I pulled out that much-talked-about Artisan Bread Cookbook and flipped through… eager to find something fall-like that would combat the feeling of our extended summer. Success! A savory sort of pumpkin bread: Oatmeal Pumpkin Seed Bread.

My first foray into Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day, I was determined to follow the directions to a T. This included making homemade pumpkin puree… also a first. It involved amazingly little effort- just chopping a pie pumpkin in half and roasting it in the oven until softened. Scoop out the seeds & toss, and then scoop out the flesh, mash it with a fork, and it’s ready to use. So simple (who knew?) Hertzberg and Francois offer the option of using canned pumpkin, but they explain that ‘roasting your own pumpkin caramelizes the sugars and intensifies the flavors.’ I couldn’t argue with that, so I went for more flavor.

The premise behind this cookbook is to make a refrigerated pre-mixed homemade dough ahead of time. When you’re ready to bake, you simply take some of the dough out of the fridge, shape it (thus the 5 minute part), give it time to rise, and it’s ready for the oven.

There was a ‘plain’ version of this pumpkin bread offered in the cookbook, but I turned out the more fancy version of added dried cranberries and toasted pepitas. Straight from the fridge, the dough is rolled out slightly, sprinkled with the berries and pepitas, and then rolled up again.

It’s then shaped into a loaf and placed into a loaf pan to rise for a couple of hours.

I brushed my loaf with an egg wash after rising and added some pepitas for decor on top.

The loaf turned a nice, golden brown and the top crust remained crispy. I resisted cutting into it while warm as the authors suggested that the texture of the bread improves as it cools.

I do have to say that I like the premise behind this bread baking cookbook and, believe me… I’m no bread expert. I can definitely count on one hand the number of times I’ve made a yeasted bread. But I followed the directions that these authors put forth and it all worked out great. My dough only produced two smallish loaves though rather than three. Because of that, next time I would bake these up in 8-inch loaf pans instead of the 9-inch indicated in the recipe.

My family was overjoyed when I told them I had made pumpkin bread. I crushed their enthusiasm when I explained that it actually wasn’t a sweet bread, but rather more like one that would be appropriate for toast or tea. A smidge of butter and a dollop of fresh cranberry jam, and this made quite the delicious breakfast. I’m hoping to try it out as bread for a turkey and cranberry sandwich. The loaf I tucked into our freezer will be handy when Thanksgiving rolls around this year.

We’ve had exactly two days of fall-weather so far. While I’ve been baking (literally and figuratively) in my kitchen, I’ve also been craving the cool weather of New England and other lucky places that are experiencing a noticeable change-of-seasons. Cranking up the air conditioner to simulate the chill of fall is an option, I suppose, but in this wobbly, uncertain economy… I think I’d rather bake.

This recipe can be found here:  Oatmeal Pumpkin Seed Bread

62 Responses to “Oatmeal Pumpkin Seed Bread (from Artisan Breads in Five)”

1. postedOct 12, 2008 8:41 AM

We are at the peak of color in the Adirondacks right now! This is my favorite time of year, then spring! I love the cooler nights and Indian summer days!

The bread looks awesome! I just ordered that book and am anxious to get it!

2. postedOct 12, 2008 1:36 PM

What great pictures, thank you for sharing all of them! I just got this book and haven’t tried anything yet (I’m intimidated by bread making)…your pictures are so helpful!

Will definitely have to try this one, looks delicious!

3. postedOct 12, 2008 1:57 PM

These are beautiful loaves! So are your pictures.

4. postedOct 12, 2008 2:07 PM
    Barbara Bakes

Your bread looks fabulous! I think we skipped fall here. We went from summer to snow on the ground this morning.

5. postedOct 12, 2008 3:07 PM
    noble pig

This is so interesting, a friend of mine from Switzerland taught how to make this bread years ago, she makes it at least twice a week. Thanks for reminding me to make a new loaf!

6. postedOct 12, 2008 3:34 PM

That is interesting, you think I could use the canned pumpkin instead of roasting a whole one?
    And you use whole wheat flour! I am so making it!
    Love your pics.

7. postedOct 12, 2008 3:38 PM
    Gretchen Noelle

This looks really delicious!!!

8. postedOct 12, 2008 4:10 PM

I couldn’t live without that book! I always have a lump of brioche dough in the fridge. I’ve never tried the pumpkin seed bread, but it looks awesome! Another one to put on my list.

9. postedOct 12, 2008 5:15 PM

What a beautiful looking loaf!

10. postedOct 12, 2008 5:23 PM
    Snooky doodle

this looks really nice. I m hopeless in bread making :( Thanks for the homemade pumpkin puree its easy. I don t find the canned pumpkin here at least I can make my own. With all these pumpkin recipes around I felt I was left out :) Great looking bread.

11. postedOct 12, 2008 5:56 PM
    Half Baked

Your bread is gorgeous and looks so tasty!

12. postedOct 12, 2008 5:59 PM

After reading the book I had not bookmarked this recipe. But now looking at your loaf I may do it someday. So many recipes to make. Looks yummy!

13. postedOct 12, 2008 6:37 PM

I am with you girl, no coolness here in Tampa either!! :(
    I have wanted to get that cookbook, but it always slips my mind! I love your bread you made!

14. postedOct 12, 2008 7:44 PM
    Nina Timm

We do not get that variety of pumkins here and they are so beautiful…
    I love the bread, especially the color.

15. postedOct 12, 2008 8:19 PM

That bread looks perfect. I’m really liking all the pumpkin recipes, and I think this would go very, very well with the cranberry jam. Oh man that would be sweet :)

16. postedOct 12, 2008 9:00 PM
    Zoe Francois

I am so pleased you baked this loaf, it is one of my favorites in the book. It is the perfect time of year for it! Thanks for all the beautiful pictures and for sharing your enthusiasm for the book. I am always so thrilled to see what people are baking from the book!

Thanks, Zoë

ps anudivya, you can absolutely use canned pumpkin instead of fresh roasted.

17. postedOct 12, 2008 9:32 PM

Jeff and Zoe are like my new best friends, and they don’t even know it. Well, I think they know it. I talk about them (and the bread) enough on my blog. But this book changed my life.

And people: don’t be intimidated by bread baking/making. It’s awesome when you use this book. I think bread machines are sacrilege and I refuse to use or own one. This book makes me say “Who? Bread machine? Pfffft”

18. postedOct 12, 2008 10:17 PM

I love your idea of pumpkin bread for turkey sandwiches. I might just have to try that too. :)

19. postedOct 12, 2008 10:19 PM

Oh YUM. I need to learn how to make this! I can’t imagine October being your warmest month though…wow!

20. postedOct 12, 2008 11:26 PM
    Ari (Baking and Books)

Gorgeous bread! The colors and flavors are just perfect.

And I know, what is up with this weather? I was enjoying the start of Fall for a few days and then boom, indian summer.

21. postedOct 12, 2008 11:42 PM
    That Girl

Sometimes I think we may share a mind. Especially your thoughts about October.

22. postedOct 13, 2008 12:12 AM

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this book! I’ll have to try this – I don’t remember it. I currently have a peasant dough made with rye and all purpose flour in the fridge. I’ve been making english muffins – the most incredible english muffins I’ve ever had by the way – from this dough. I have pics on my blog.

23. postedOct 13, 2008 12:46 AM

Oh my goodness. I absolutely adore your pictures!! And the bread looks sooo good.

24. postedOct 13, 2008 12:56 AM
    Mary Coleman

I just knew you would love this book!!!!
    I’m several months into bread baking and it’s only with this book and their methods. i can’t wait to try this recipe!!!

25. postedOct 13, 2008 1:11 AM

Thanks for wishing me a happy 100th post! And as always, thanks for reading my blog!

26. postedOct 13, 2008 1:35 AM

This bread looks so perfect for fall, even if its warm out. I really need to get this book!

27. postedOct 13, 2008 1:48 AM

Looks beautiful, I’ve heard a lot of good things about this book.

28. postedOct 13, 2008 2:43 AM

Looks great… That’s a helluva sharp knife you got there :)

29. postedOct 13, 2008 3:10 AM

That bread just has “fall” written all over it – looks so delicious. Nice job!

30. postedOct 13, 2008 4:50 AM

I can’t believe October is actually the warmest! 😀 But I suppose any day you can cozy up with a toasty slice of that pumpkin bread would be very warm indeed :)

31. postedOct 13, 2008 7:36 AM

the bread looks delicious! it sounds like it would go great with some turkey!

32. postedOct 13, 2008 11:27 AM

Your bread looks PERFECT!! And serving it with a dollop of cranberry jam?? Genius.

Haha, that pumpkin in the first photograph really got it from the knife!! ;0)

33. postedOct 13, 2008 11:48 AM
    Robin Sue

I love that book and it is getting a little bit cooler here, 80’s. So I will be joining the baking bread band soon. Your pumpkin loaf looks perfect!

34. postedOct 13, 2008 12:20 PM
    Katherine Aucoin

Your pumpkin bread looks beautiful. I will have to try this…a winderful fall recipe.

35. postedOct 13, 2008 12:41 PM

that looks so moist and yummy! beautiful!

36. postedOct 13, 2008 2:34 PM

what perfect texture, and pairing it with cranberry jam is sheer brilliance.

97 degrees? our nights have been in the 30s!

37. postedOct 13, 2008 3:19 PM
    Jessy and her dog Winnie

That looks great! I love how the texture looks!

38. postedOct 13, 2008 3:37 PM

That looks great! High five for making bread, it can be quite an adventure. Yours looks wonderful, especially with those goodies tucked inside.

39. postedOct 13, 2008 5:06 PM

I’ve read so much about that cookbook, I’m going to have to go look it over at the bookstore… may be adding to my collection once I’m done though!

40. postedOct 13, 2008 5:18 PM

This looks like a great cookbook! Wonderful pictures.

41. postedOct 13, 2008 6:21 PM
    Obsessive Foodie or Food Addict....You Decide

This is the best book in the whole wide world……….I have dough in my fridge 24/7. I currently have Cheddar Jalapeno Brioche waiting for black bean burgers. This looks amazing and I must try it….I have pepitas and I have cranberries…….what am I waiting for???

42. postedOct 13, 2008 7:44 PM

This bread looks really good. Your pics are gorgeous too. I must try this one.

43. postedOct 13, 2008 8:30 PM

I need to pull this book out more often. This loaf looks gorgeous, and it looks like you’ve been doing it for years!

44. postedOct 13, 2008 8:31 PM

I love the step by step pictures. Who wouldn’t love this gorgeous loaf right about now? I am hoping for fall to hit here as well but I think it is decided to take its sweet time!

45. postedOct 13, 2008 8:53 PM

What a lovely loaf!!! If your family doesn’t want it, send it our way… :) I bet it would make the most fabulous French toast ever!

46. postedOct 13, 2008 9:54 PM
    Susan from Food Blogga

Oh, my, gosh, I love everything about this recipe! These texture looks perfect in that close-up pic too!

47. postedOct 13, 2008 10:37 PM
    Cookie baker Lynn

That loaf looks gorgeous! I love the addition of pumpkin seeds. Perfect!

48. postedOct 13, 2008 11:59 PM

Great recipe! I love pumpkin everything, even the seeds!!

49. postedOct 14, 2008 1:05 AM

Thanks for your comment on my Dulce de Leche post! It never crossed my mind that it had a chance of exploding. I guess I got lucky!!! I am using it for our DB challange this month. I posted it on the completed challange board!

50. postedOct 14, 2008 1:20 AM

Terrific photos! This looks amazing, and I love the pepitas on top. Thanks for posting!

51. postedOct 14, 2008 3:49 AM

I love non-sweet, yeasted pumpkin breads. This looks great!

52. postedOct 14, 2008 3:49 AM
    Brooke Hughes

Im sorry but you need to stop making such yummy baked goods. My husband and I love them all. especially all the Pumpkin recipes. I am a bit obsessed with your website!

53. postedOct 14, 2008 4:09 AM

yea, the wind here in So Cal is crazy huh? I hear there are some pretty big fires around san Diego right now too. Hope all is okay near you. That pumpkin seed bread looks heavenly… although that photo with the knife in the pumpkin is frigtening. haha.

54. postedOct 14, 2008 8:38 AM

Great post!

I’m so sorry about the extreme heat you guys are facing. I had no idea it was so warm in October.

The bread looks crazy, crazy good. I’m going to have to buy that book! I’ve heard a lot about it.

55. postedOct 14, 2008 2:43 PM

There are few things that I hate more than the smell of the inside of a pumpkin…

I dont know why.

56. postedOct 14, 2008 6:50 PM

We are in autumn here in the U.K. with changing colours and climate.

Your bread looks amazing I must look this book up :)

Rosie x

57. postedOct 14, 2008 9:06 PM

Yum, what a beautiful looking loaf of bread! Hope to try it soon!

58. postedOct 15, 2008 1:38 AM

Amazing looking bread! I’m going to have to get that cookbook…although I’m not sure I want to be able to bake homemade bread in five minutes-I have little self control when it comes to homemade breads!

59. postedOct 15, 2008 3:35 AM
    Girl Japan

We are all in the pumpkin theme, what a nice way to celebrate fall! I missed your other posts.. I am so sorry.. my RSS reader is acting about funky..

As for the bread- my arms always hurt the next day.. “giggles” but I would LOVE to have a piece. You are fabulous!

60. postedOct 15, 2008 6:06 PM

I adore pumpkin seeds, but never thought to use them in bread. Great idea!

61. postedOct 16, 2008 8:52 PM

Wow, that’s one beautiful loaf of bread. I love the idea of a pumpkin bread that’s more bread than cake. Well done!

62. postedNov 29, 2008 8:59 PM
    Flo Makanai

Beautiful. We would love it here, too. Thank you!