Eggnog Coffee Cake with Nog Glaze

I view eggnog as virtually one of the most evil decadances invented (I mean that in a good way). It’s brilliant in ice cream, it works in cookies too, and there’s really nothing better than eggnog bread.

I remember sneaking several cups of hot rum with floating homemade eggnog at a family Thanksgiving as a teenager (it was just so yummy!) I don’t really go for the hard stuff so much anymore. I’m more of a low-fat eggnog kinda gal these days. But when I decided to make a little breakfast treat for my kid’s teachers, I went full-fat all the way. I knew that would be best for Overnight Eggnog Coffee Cake with Nog Glaze.

Easy to make, this coffeecake is prepped the night before, covered and left in the fridge overnight.

It’s simply placed into the oven in the AM, dumped onto a rack to cool and drizzled with eggnog flavored glaze.

Most of the glaze literally soaks into the cake. It turns out to be incredibly tender and moist.

Lazy folks can make this in a 9×13 pan, but it’s a little prettier if you bake it in a molded pan. Decorate with a few cranberries for decor (or not) and it’s ready to eat.

When I went to the teacher’s room after school to retrieve my plate, there was not a speck of cake left. The school secretary reported that this was indeed a popular RecipeGirl treat and that two teachers literally squabbled over who was going to get the last piece.

Eggnog coffee cake might also be nice for Christmas morning…

This recipe can be found here:  Overnight Eggnog Coffee Cake

(Don’t worry… I haven’t given up on cookies. I’ll be baking all weekend long!)

43 Responses to “Eggnog Coffee Cake with Nog Glaze”

Núria — December 12, 2008 @ 1:45 PM

This is how I wanted mine to be!!!! I have to try it your way, girl… shots are impacting!!!!
    Merry Xmas?

Elle — December 12, 2008 @ 2:11 PM

I love eggnog! And in a coffeecake? That’s got to be heavenly!

Half Baked — December 12, 2008 @ 2:19 PM

Beautiful! sounds sooo Christmasy:)

Robin Sue — December 12, 2008 @ 2:28 PM

Right Up My Alley! Love egg nog very much I even put it in my pancakes and french toast this time of year. The glaze sounds fantastic!

Sara — December 12, 2008 @ 2:48 PM

Your cake looks great! I’m the only person in my family that likes eggnog.

Reeni — December 12, 2008 @ 3:12 PM

How delicious! This would be wonderful for Christmas morning.

gigi — December 12, 2008 @ 3:23 PM

Wow, my son would so love this cake! I think I’ll give it a shot. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

CookiePie — December 12, 2008 @ 3:25 PM

Lovely! And soooo perfect for the holidays!

Culinarywannabe — December 12, 2008 @ 3:32 PM

This would be perfect for Christmas morning. Especially since you can do all of the prep the night before. Happy holidays!!

Snooky doodle — December 12, 2008 @ 4:10 PM

wow nice present i m sure the teachers were left speechless. Such a nice present to receive. Looks great .

biz319 — December 12, 2008 @ 4:53 PM

I love all things egg nog. Only once have I had truly homemade egg nog and I am positive it had to be about 400 calories a cup! But oh so good!

Thanks for the recipe!

nicisme — December 12, 2008 @ 4:56 PM

I’m not too sure about eggnog, but you’ve made this look really tempting indeed!

Patsyk — December 12, 2008 @ 5:11 PM

That is a stunning coffee cake!

Talita — December 12, 2008 @ 6:04 PM

Gorgeous!! This cake looks so delicious!! I don’t like coffee, but I want eat this cake! I copy the recipe and I’ll try to prepare it.
    I’ll be waiting for you at my blog, Chocorango!

echocorango.blogspot.com

Ingrid — December 12, 2008 @ 6:09 PM

I don’t know if I love or hate you! You have so many incredible and DOABLE recipes! I can’t keep up. You have your own special stack of recipes in my kitchen!

We’re big fans of eggnog and your coffee cake looks heavenly so its recipe is going on top of everything else! Thanks, I think! :-)
    ~ingrid

Adam — December 12, 2008 @ 6:13 PM

Well I’ve been certainly missing your posts! You’ve been super crazy busy Lori :) I don’t know how you don’t have flour all over the house!

You have some really good recipes I need to check out. Especially anything gingerbread or hermit cookie related :)

That Girl — December 12, 2008 @ 6:19 PM

I love eggnog, but I’m a bigger fan of the new pumpkin egg nog that’s been rolling out in recent years.

Dawn — December 12, 2008 @ 7:14 PM

Another awesome creation here! How do you stay so skinny with all this fabulous baking you do?
    This sound so good right now.

Katrina — December 12, 2008 @ 7:59 PM

It’s nice to take a break from cookies, especially when you make a yummy looking cake like this!
    Love the flower decor in the middle.

EAT! — December 12, 2008 @ 9:33 PM

I have to wait overnight until I can eat this cake? I’m not sure I would make it. Definately making this for Christmas!! Maybe even twice.

Helene — December 12, 2008 @ 10:52 PM

Simply Stunning. What a beautiful cake.

diva — December 13, 2008 @ 12:39 AM

OH! that is a beautiful cake. just looking at it is making me feel well christmas-y x

Alexa — December 13, 2008 @ 12:50 AM

You bring magic to the holiday table… this cake is a great idea for using eggnog. I bet it was moist and delicious. A friend made me a eggnog bread a couple years ago. It was so sinful!

Tara — December 13, 2008 @ 2:38 AM

Oh Stop it! I ? eggnog more than you know! Woo-wee! Can’t wait to eat this one!

noble pig — December 13, 2008 @ 2:51 AM

Holy Moley, I must, must make it …thank you!

Bunny — December 13, 2008 @ 2:55 AM

This looks wonderful,perfect for the holidays and it looks like it would be moist!

~~louise~~ — December 13, 2008 @ 4:25 AM

No fair. I can’t have piece right now! Can you hear me stomping my feet!

That eggnog cake looks simply heavenly. I wonder if it could be baked in a bundt pan? Thanks so much for sharing…

alexandra's kitchen — December 13, 2008 @ 6:50 AM

I love an overnight recipe. I think more recipes can, in fact, be turned into overnight recipes, I just never have the balls to experiment for fear of ruining the batter. WIth your guidance, RecipeGirl, I have no fear!

Girl Japan — December 13, 2008 @ 8:32 AM

I sure missed all your posts!!! What a lovely surprise to come home to..WOW

The pictures are lovely, Egg Nog.. goodness I have not had that since I’ve been living in Tokyo.. and the cake, Nog Glaze.. oh YUM….

HoneyB — December 13, 2008 @ 8:33 AM

Sounds decadent! I love when a cake is soaked with glaze!

VeggieGirl — December 13, 2008 @ 12:56 PM

Your CAKE is decadence – but not an evil one; it’s delightful!! :-)

Maria — December 13, 2008 @ 3:38 PM

Beautiful cake. I love the glaze!

Laurie — December 13, 2008 @ 4:29 PM

You are so creative.. what a wonderful idea! And the nog glaze.. I bet that would taste great on other brads and cakes!

Stacey Snacks — December 13, 2008 @ 5:55 PM

RG,
    I know you are making all of these wonderful posts for the blog and are giving them away, but I am still amazed!
    You are really a pastry chef, not a blogger!!!
    Stace

Manggy — December 14, 2008 @ 5:15 AM

Ah, the always sough-after fighting over the last piece– and I can see why! Very well done Lori! :)

Cakebrain — December 14, 2008 @ 6:40 AM

Great flavour idea! I love eggnog and wish I could find it all year round! The cake looks so moist. yum!

Ivy — December 14, 2008 @ 7:43 AM

I love the idea of this cake. It looks great but looking into the recipe what is eggnog which you add in the glaze. Is it an eggnog you have already made with egg yolks and cream or is it something you buy ready made?

Grace — December 14, 2008 @ 2:43 PM

i appreciate your special instructions for the lazy folks. i can’t deny it. :)

StickyGooeyCreamyChewy — December 14, 2008 @ 2:55 PM

What a lovely cake! The eggnog sounds like a perfect addition, too.

Sophie — December 14, 2008 @ 9:53 PM

Delicious cake idea! I would’ve gobbled it up too…I’ll be making this later this week, with a gluten free twist! Delicious, my mouth is watering already :D. Hope you’re having a lovely holiday season!

Peter M — December 15, 2008 @ 5:49 PM

Luv eggnog and made a cheesecake from it last year!

The home MUST have cakes like these around for guests and coffee being served.

Ingrid — December 16, 2008 @ 8:37 PM

Hi! I made this last night or rather I made the batter last night and baked it this morning! Everything went well except my timing for getting it done before I needed to leave for work and be on time. I miscalculated. My fault!

I didn’t wait the full 10 mins before turning it out so the topping stuck a little bit but I just pasted it back together. I like to think it looks rustic w/it’s “crumbly” topping! LOL! I haven’t glazed it yet but will when I get home and will cut into after dinner. I’m certain it tastes wonderful as the batter was heavenly!

Thank you!
    ~ingrid
    Almost forgot…Do I HAVE to wait before baking it or can I skip that and still get a tasty cake? THX!

Gretchen Noelle — December 21, 2008 @ 12:26 PM

Mmmm…too bad there is no eggnog here. I have been looking for a good recipe to satisfy my craving for it! Would love a slice of this!