How to Make Wedding Cupcakes

That title should read… “How to Make Wedding Cupcakes when You’re Not Really a Professional Cupcake Baker.” Since I’m always bringing treats to people, those people occasionally ask if they can hire me to make treats. Not really wishing to create a business of making and selling food, I typically decline- however, a very sweet, young teacher at my son’s school was getting married last weekend and asked if I would do the cupcakes for her wedding. (In case you’re not in on the latest, apparently cupcakes are a hip alternative to a fancy wedding cake nowadays). We met and discussed the project, and I found myself agreeing to make 96 cupcakes! I owe a huge, HUGE thank you to my Twitter pal and “real-life” cupcake professional Kristin who has a business called Meringue Bake Shop in Southern California.  Kristin took the time to share tips and advice about making cupcakes for clients.

Here are the details:
The bride wanted white and chocolate cupcakes with buttercream frosting. I tested out some recipes and frosting patterns in the weeks prior to the wedding. The recipes chosen are at the bottom of this post. The bride also wanted a combination of white, light blue and light yellow frosting. She chose two different frosting patterns and wanted some with pearls and some without.

Some of the pictures…

I used a 1G Tip by Bakery Crafts for this simple swirl. The chocolate cupcake recipe used was excellent. It was really easy to make and it stayed pretty flat on top, making it easier to pipe the frosting.

I used a 2D Wilton tip for this more funky pattern. I loved the white cupcake… though I’m a little embarrassed to tell you about the recipe. It was a doctored-up cake mix recipe (gasp!!) I know that’s not very gourmet, and it’s completely atypical of how I usually bake, but I’m telling you that these cupcakes were GOOD!! And again, a really easy recipe to make- the tops stayed nice and flat & easy for frosting.

My kitchen and dining room were a sea of cupcakes for the better part of a day!

The bride requested that I make a dozen completely sugar-free cupcakes for a few guests who were not able to eat sugar.

I’m not big on baking with Splenda, but both the cupcake recipe and the frosting recipe I used had Spenda in them instead of sugar. They were okay. I don’t particularly like the flavor that Splenda imparts, but I have to say that these were a good alternative dessert for those who can’t have the sugar.

The bride also asked that I make her a small cake for the top tier of her cupcake display. They wanted to be able to cut into a little wedding cake.

I made a 6-inch two layer cake. I used the same cake recipe as the cupcakes- same frosting recipe too. The tip used for the edging was the Wilton 2D. The bride placed flowers on top of the cake for additional decor.

Though it was a ton of work, it was a fun project to do. And I actually feel pretty good about how they turned out (having never, ever done fancy cupcakes before!) Now that I’m a “paid cupcake-baking professional,” I’m sure that it won’t be quite as difficult to do next time. So let me know if you want some :)

Here are all of the recipes:
Chocolatey Cupcakes (not dipped in the ganache)
White Wedding Cupcakes
White Wedding Buttercream
White Wedding Cake
Sugar Free Chocolate Cupcakes
Sugar Free Chocolate Frosting
If you can have a little bit of sugar in the frosting, I prefer this chocolate frosting recipe

217 Responses to “How to Make Wedding Cupcakes”

1. postedMar 17, 2009 3:35 AM

So elegant and delicate!!

2. postedMar 17, 2009 4:59 AM

Wow, these are styling! I’m sure you made the bride’s day!
    Great job.

3. postedMar 17, 2009 6:34 AM
    Chocolate Angie

These look absolutely delicious! Can someone with little kitchen experience make these?

• March 17th, 2009 @ 6:42 AM

Chocolate Angie- the cupcakes themselves are simple enough. If you buy the right tip, I think they were pretty easy to do. You just stuff the frosting in the big plastic, disposable bags and squeeze away in a swirly motion. I didn’t think they were that tough to do…just time consuming.

• March 17th, 2011 @ 6:44 PM

I was looking at your cupcakes, and I am thinking of having a outside wedding. We are thinking of doing cupcakes instead of a wedding cake. My problem is that I can’t have any dairy and all the recipe I found I don’t like so I was wondering if you might have a good one for a non dairy that I might be able to use. Or if anyone does :)

• March 19th, 2011 @ 8:31 AM

@amanda, I suppose you’d have to go with a shortening-based frosting instead, which I don’t particularly care for. I’m afraid I don’t have a recipe for you…

4. postedMar 17, 2009 6:41 AM

A very lovely job on those, Lori! That crazy tip turns out such a beautiful design. Transporting them had to be the high point, right? ; )

5. postedMar 17, 2009 5:44 AM

I would hire you for those cupcakes in like 2 seconds.

Beautiful stuff. Not sure that I would like the Splenda version, but good work being flexible.

6. postedMar 17, 2009 5:56 AM

they look wonderful!! i especially love the squiggly pattern you piped on some of them, it is so pretty and elegant.

7. postedMar 17, 2009 6:06 AM

Gorgeous! You did an amazing job on them. I can’t imagine how much work it was to decorate all of those cupcakes!

8. postedMar 17, 2009 6:06 AM

Beautiful, Lori! What an awesome job. I bet they’ll love them.

9. postedMar 17, 2009 6:09 AM

WOW! you did an amazing job! I am sure the bride and groom were THRILLED with the outcome! The cupcakes are too cute and I love the cake as well. I am sure you will be getting tons of calls for other jobs!

10. postedMar 17, 2009 6:33 AM

That White Wedding Cake recipe is EXACTLY the one I have been using for years, and I think I actually posted it to my blog, as well a while back. I LOVE IT! As many scratch cakes as I come up with and create, that recipe is consistently a favorite for many. The best part is how sturdy it is for stacking tall. Fabulous! I think I originally got it from RecipeZaar.

I love this post. You are a talent to be reckoned with!

11. postedMar 17, 2009 6:41 AM

oh wow, what beautiful cupcakes! And I think this was a major undertaking – you did quite a lot of work. I was impressed with all the cupcakes, then I get to the part about how you made sugar free ones. Oh, and a 6 inch round cake! Wow!

I am amazed at how nice a cupcake looks when frosting is piped on with a frosting tip and bag. I use that for my kids’ birthdays and am always excited by the final product.

Great job!

12. postedMar 17, 2009 6:42 AM

Congratulations! It looks like you did a great job! I’ll have to try your recipes.

13. postedMar 17, 2009 6:51 AM

Those are beautiful cupcakes! You did an amazing job and I’m sure the bride was very pleased.

14. postedMar 17, 2009 7:08 AM
    Mary Kay

What a beautiful job. I wish I could pipe frosting like that. They look amazing!

15. postedMar 17, 2009 7:10 AM

These are so cute and fun!

16. postedMar 17, 2009 7:15 AM

Very beautiful cakes! You really have done a great job on those.

17. postedMar 17, 2009 7:28 AM

These are just gorgeous.

18. postedMar 17, 2009 7:48 AM

Wow! They are gorgeous! I bet the bride was very happy.

19. postedMar 17, 2009 8:19 AM

They look just beautiful. I am sure the bride was so happy with her cupcakes!!! Glad you didn’t go with the large ones!

20. postedMar 17, 2009 8:29 AM

Congrats!! Everything came out beautifully!
    Off to check out the chocolate recipe :)

21. postedMar 17, 2009 8:31 AM

They look great! I love the fancy look of the icing. So pretty. What a ton of work, but you must be proud.

22. postedMar 17, 2009 8:46 AM

Beautiful cupcakes! They definitely look like they were made by a Professional Cupcake Baker! The bride had to be thrilled.

23. postedMar 17, 2009 10:02 AM

All the cupcakes and cake look gorgeous. Wow, you are very talented!

24. postedMar 17, 2009 10:05 AM

Seriously they are absolutely beautiful! You did an amazing, amazing job. Love the pearls!

25. postedMar 17, 2009 10:44 AM

These are so beautiful!!! Had I been a guest at the wedding, I would have assumed she paid an absurd amount for these. Maybe you should become a professional cupcake person. :)

26. postedMar 17, 2009 10:59 AM

Marvelous job!!! Good for you! Your frosting looks like it held up pretty good sans shortening.

Guess what? I just agreed (this am) to do a wedding/birthday cake. Ever since I keep thinking what the heck was I thinking! Needless to say I’ll be practicing my piping skills!

27. postedMar 17, 2009 11:33 AM

You certainly could make a business out of it. Those are so gorgeous.

28. postedMar 17, 2009 12:52 PM

These are gorgeous! Very elegant and classic. What bride wouldn’t love these!

29. postedMar 17, 2009 12:59 PM

great looking cupcakes! congratulations ms. cupcake pro. =)

30. postedMar 17, 2009 1:03 PM

Those cupcakes look perfect for a wedding. They sound delicious and look elegant. Great work!

31. postedMar 17, 2009 1:59 PM

These are great! You did an awesome job!!

32. postedMar 17, 2009 2:22 PM

Good for you, congratulations! Very pretty! I did desserts for my first wedding this weekend and although it was incredibly stressful, I think now that I’ve done it once it will be a lot less stressful next time!

33. postedMar 17, 2009 4:24 PM

WOW!! You did a fantastic job with everything, the cupcakes and the cake are beautiful!

34. postedMar 17, 2009 4:38 PM

You are amazing!! Their beautiful, you do lovely work!

35. postedMar 17, 2009 5:56 PM

Great post! This is similar to what I’d like to do for my wedding…so I’ll definitely be referring back to this post. Thanks!

36. postedMar 17, 2009 5:59 PM

First of all, stop being modest, I saw all your baking posts last yr and YOU ARE A PROFESSIONAL BAKER! maybe not getting paid to be one, but your creations are beautiful!

My friend had cupcakes at her wedding w/ silver dragee and they were lovely!

37. postedMar 17, 2009 6:54 PM

Well done! I love those beautiful frosting on the cupcakes. I wish I could pipe as well as you. Congrats!

38. postedMar 17, 2009 7:17 PM

I just loved everything! I dream of learnig how to pipe frosting on cakes and cupcakes.
    I would love to see how you did that pattern in the cake. It looks really professional and very delicate.
    Congratulations! I am sure everybody loved your nice work!

39. postedMar 17, 2009 7:19 PM

Oh gawd – you’re a rock star. What a load of work. You’re scaring me – Psychgrad wants a cupcake tree for her wedding – could you book your flight now??…please….I’m begging

40. postedMar 17, 2009 7:28 PM

These cupcakes are as professional as you can get, well done!!! I think your hobby has just turned into a business!!!!

41. postedMar 17, 2009 7:40 PM

These are gorgeous! Too pretty to eat!

42. postedMar 17, 2009 7:54 PM

These are beautiful! I bet her wedding cupcakes are going to be just as memorable as her wedding. :)

43. postedMar 17, 2009 8:15 PM

Wow, you did an amazing job! I’m sure the bride was quite pleased. Looks like you may have some more requests coming in. If you ever need help, I’m in the area! :)

44. postedMar 17, 2009 10:15 PM

They turned out gorgeous!

45. postedMar 17, 2009 10:34 PM

What an impressive feat! Congrats on doing such an excellent job. I’m sure you made the bride super happy. Your cupcakes and cake look just fantastic!!

46. postedMar 18, 2009 6:26 AM

amazing job!!! Everything looks totally professional! My mom and I are currently having a little argument over a wedding cake… I don’t want one… she wants us to have one… boooooo we’ll see where that goes! haha

47. postedMar 18, 2009 8:35 AM

Your creaming is so elegant and so classic, just awesome!

48. postedMar 18, 2009 8:42 AM

Hot damn!! This is the best blog post I’ve seen in some time. Inspiring, beautiful–and delicious!

49. postedMar 18, 2009 10:41 AM

How beautiful!!! I’m sure the bride was thrilled!

50. postedMar 18, 2009 11:13 AM

oh that shade of green color frosting is GORGEOUS. I never could get piping down pat. I need tons of hours of pratice. You really did a good job; the cupcakes really look so uniform.

51. postedMar 18, 2009 11:27 AM

Lori–they’re just stunningly gorgeous! Any bride would be lucky to have you make cupcake and cake for her.

52. postedMar 18, 2009 12:15 PM
    Sue G.

Love this post!!

53. postedMar 18, 2009 2:55 PM

You did a beautiful job. The cupcakes are just lovely.

54. postedMar 18, 2009 5:26 PM

Good Job!!! Do you think the white cake recipe is dense enough for a 3-D Soccer Ball Cake?

• March 18th, 2009 @ 7:45 PM

Fran- it’s possibly not the best cake for shaping as a 3-D sort of pattern. It works well to hold the frosting, but not super dense. It’s more like a light & fluffy cake.

55. postedMar 18, 2009 8:06 PM

I’m so impressed Lori, you did a fantastic job!!

56. postedMar 19, 2009 4:58 PM

So pretty! I love the squiggly frosting pattern and the cake looks elegant, but simple.

57. postedMar 20, 2009 4:42 AM

Will you shipped them to Portugal? Lol! Congratulations Lori, they look great! You did very well, I bet the bride was thrilled!

58. postedMar 20, 2009 5:10 AM

Beautiful cupcakes! The small wedding cake is adorable, too!

59. postedMar 20, 2009 11:53 AM

They look fabulous! I’m taking a Wilton class next month to get a little better at decorating – really looking forward to it.

60. postedMar 21, 2009 7:15 PM

These are beautiful – perfect for a wedding!

61. postedMar 22, 2009 7:17 AM

I love the pearls on top! So elegant.

62. postedMar 23, 2009 6:17 PM

You did a terrific job on these, Lori! Just lovely!

63. postedMar 24, 2009 3:33 AM

What a huge task! Your cupcakes are lovely. What a lucky bride! How on earth did you transport all of those cupcakes??

• March 24th, 2009 @ 4:58 AM

RobinSue- I had special cupcake carrying boxes that I purchased from a local baking supply shop. That made transportation much easier!

64. postedMar 24, 2009 4:32 PM

sooo beautiful! you did an amazing job! thanks for posting! :)

65. postedMar 30, 2009 3:50 PM

Hey! Thanks for the mention! i just saw this post. Your wedding cupcakes turned out so great. Very elegant and pretty.

• March 30th, 2009 @ 3:58 PM

Thanks Kristin! Really, you were extremely helpful with all of my questions. Appreciate your expertise!

66. postedApr 5, 2009 1:33 PM

they looked really pretty what a team dark and white cupcakes .yummy?

67. postedApr 6, 2009 2:46 AM

Incredible work!! All I can say is stunning and a very lucky bride!

68. postedApr 20, 2009 2:14 AM

Wow, so delicious!!!! Just wanted to let you know that I made the 3-D Soccer Ball cake, using this recipe for the bottom half. It held up well. I used the boxed cake mix, using the instructions on the box, for the top half. Will be using this recipe for my husbands “Putting Green” cake this week-end.

• April 20th, 2009 @ 4:40 AM

Fran- that’s so great!! I want to make a fun, homemade cake for my son’s upcoming bday so perhaps I’ll try that out too. Thanks for sharing your experience :)

69. postedApr 20, 2009 1:36 PM
    tracey b.

just one more person saying fantastic job!! i’ve been a cook all my life and am now just starting to do pastry seriously. pastry is definately an exact science and an art. great job!

70. postedMay 25, 2009 4:13 AM

Made these last nite as a test for my wedding. This has saved me alot of money! I have been too comfortable with my cakes and desserts that I haven’t challenged myself much with decorating bags and tips. Thank you for taking me out of my comfort zone.

71. postedMay 31, 2009 7:47 PM

This may very well save my life this weekend! I’m headed out of town for my dear friend’s wedding, and we are making cupcakes the NIGHT before the wedding!! Scary I know… but having stumbled across this made me feel more confident in my abilities. **fingers crossed**
    THANK YOU!!!!

72. postedNov 6, 2009 1:36 PM

can you tell me what size the little balls are on the cupcakes? Thanks

• November 10th, 2009 @ 3:18 PM

Alyson- ummm, no idea. They’re just little sugar pearl balls that are sold in baking shops.

73. postedDec 28, 2009 1:39 PM

The small 6inch cake using Wilton 2D is beautiful!
    1. Could you pls tell me if the tip was used for both the top and bottom edging
    1. How did you use the tip to create the edding? I’m new to decorating, would appreciate it, thank you!

• December 29th, 2009 @ 5:29 AM

Ruby- I’m no expert at cake decorating, believe me! That was the very first wedding cake I had ever done. I pretty much just picked a tip and squeezed away without really thinking about strategy. The same tip was used for both edge and bottom.

As far as practice, it would be good to get some of the cheap frosting in the can and put it into a disposable piping bag (or plastic baggie) with the tip placed into the corner. Practice piping to see what you like best. Good luck!

74. postedJan 13, 2010 2:58 PM

I love the simple and elegant designs and colors. You are my inspiration for my baking adventure for my sister’s wedding coming up. Some ?s: How far in advance did you make the cupcakes? How did you store them (wrapped or not)? How long can the cupcakes be left out frosted?? Thanks!

• January 14th, 2010 @ 12:08 PM

Anne- I had to make about 125 cupcakes, so I was able to make them the night before & then frost the day of. I purchased special cupcake boxes at a bakery supply store that held them and kept them safe, and I was able to put those into the refrigerator to keep fresh until serving later in the day (on a hot day). I did keep a few though and didn’t refrigerate those at all. They were still good a couple of days later.

75. postedMar 2, 2010 12:38 PM

I was just wondering, what was the recipe for the chocolate cake mix that you used?

• March 2nd, 2010 @ 7:47 PM

There are links to all of the recipes mentioned at the end of the post. Mixed reviews on the chocolate cake recipe though as it is baked w/ Splenda. If you’re used to baked products w/ Splenda it will taste good to you.

76. postedMar 7, 2010 1:34 AM

How did you manage to get such a good (and consistent!) shape for the cupcakes? They’re amazing! Makes them look a lot more classy and professional. What sort of tray do you use?

• March 7th, 2010 @ 6:15 AM

Steady hand! I used a special cupcake box with inserts for transport.

77. postedMar 31, 2010 4:43 PM

How did the bride display them at the reception?

• March 31st, 2010 @ 7:53 PM

Not sure… I boxed them up and sent them along with the groom.

78. postedMay 31, 2010 2:03 AM

Absolutely awesome. I live in south africa and searched 4 a recipe that gave me a flat top, and i came across yours for domed ganache, which i also needed. made them – they are simply ‘divine’. also made your ganache – hmmmm – now i need a recipe for a vanilla fail safe and moist – with a flat surface that will allow me to pour on fondant or dip – i keep getting little points on mine.

79. postedJun 11, 2010 10:32 AM

How do you think the white wedding cupcakes would work with mini-choco chips added? For a kids “wedding party.”

• June 11th, 2010 @ 11:33 AM

@K.E., That seems like it would work out ok, and then do a sprinkle of mini-chips on top too!

• June 12th, 2010 @ 10:28 AM

I shopped yesterday for my supplies and I got little pearl balls like yours for topping…but in a light green (for color). I’m sure the little ones haven’t seen sprinkles like those. The mini chips will just have to be the surprise waiting on the inside! Thanks for your reply!

80. postedJun 12, 2010 6:36 AM

how far ahead did you make the cake. does it
    freeze well? how far ahead did you frost the cupcakes???? thanks

• June 12th, 2010 @ 6:57 AM

@cindy, I had to make about 125 cupcakes, so I was able to make them the night before & then frost the day of. I purchased special cupcake boxes at a bakery supply store that held them and kept them safe, and I was able to put those into the refrigerator to keep fresh until serving later in the day (on a hot day). I did keep a few though and didn’t refrigerate those at all. They were still good a couple of days later. I haven’t tried freezing them. I’d suggest testing it out to see if the quality is what you expect.

81. postedJun 28, 2010 10:33 AM

I love your detailed pictures! How long did it take to make 96 cupcakes?

• June 29th, 2010 @ 4:48 AM

@Melody, I made the cupcakes the night before & lightly covered them with plastic wrap, then iced them all the following morning- the day of the event.

82. postedJun 29, 2010 9:09 AM

I am getting married soon and would love to have these cupcakes at my wedding, they are absolutely gorgeous. Could you please make some for me, and if not do you know anybody who will make me something similar

• June 29th, 2010 @ 4:45 PM

@Siobhan, I’m afraid I’m not available to make these for anyone. I don’t know of anyone at this time who does, but you might try a cupcake bakery… or see if a friend has an interest/talent in baking them for you!

83. postedJun 29, 2010 3:48 PM

do you have any pictures/demonstration of how you made the designs? do you start on the outer rim & make 3 rotations? what angle do you hold the bag? when i try, it looks kind of messy. i am experienced with decorating, but am having trouble making them look elegant.

• June 29th, 2010 @ 4:42 PM

@jenny, No, I’m afraid I didn’t show quite that much detail. Perhaps I’ll do a video one of these days. I start on the outside edge and swirl my way inward. It takes a bit of practice. I always tell people to buy some cheap frosting in the can and experiment with that until they get the hang of it. You might try different sized tips too. Good luck :)

84. postedJul 15, 2010 6:38 PM

I made these chocolate-followed a previous suggestion to add 3 whole eggs instead of 4 egg whites, and I used boxed devils food instead of white cake mix and less vanilla with about a tablespoon of cocoa. I also added chocolate chips! Delicous!! I am practicing for my son’s 7th birthday and he ate 3 mini cupcakes without stopping! He usually just licks off the icing, so needless to say I was VERY happy with the results. Thank you SO much for sharing!!!

• July 16th, 2010 @ 8:02 AM

@Amy Nanney, Wonderful! I’m thrilled to have a chocolate option to try out now. Thanks for sharing your successful experiment!

85. postedJul 21, 2010 2:42 PM

You’re welcome!! It’s worth trying :)!!

86. postedAug 7, 2010 5:55 AM

I just stumbled across this website. You are such a talent! I would LOVE to see a video on how you piped such BEAUTIFUL cupcakes if you have the time!!!! Thanks for your inspiration.

• August 7th, 2010 @ 9:50 AM

@Jane, Thanks :) I’d love to do an instructional video. Perhaps I’ll get around to it one of these days!

87. postedAug 11, 2010 4:44 PM

Oh. My. Goodness. Those look absolutely gorgeous!! I’m a self-confessed cupcake-lunatic, and until now I haven’t found a blog or site that showed professional-looking cupcakes! (They usually look like something a little kid has attempted). Thanks for mentioning which piping bag tips you used :)

88. postedAug 28, 2010 7:39 AM

Can these be frozen for several days ahead of time, then frosted the day before the event? Or, can they be frozen with the frosting AND pearls on them? Then transported as they thaw?

89. postedAug 28, 2010 7:43 AM

After putting the swirl frosting on the cupcakes, I am also putting a 1″ vanilla heart (made from a mold) in the frosting on some. Also using royal icing flowers with a sugar pearl in center of each, so I have 3 different toppings going on (including the pearls).

90. postedSep 11, 2010 10:44 PM

I am going to make these for my daughters wedding. My tips don’t have the 1M or 2M on them. Mine are in 100 numbers. Can you tell me which one of mine is close to the ones you used.If I made these on a Thurs. and she married on a Sat. do you think they will still be fresh and the icing stay firm in the fridge?I have to decorate on Friday so I won’t have time to do the cakes then. Thank you so much for all of your help.

• September 12th, 2010 @ 8:05 AM

@Angela, I’m afraid I’m not familiar w/ the numbers you mentioned… my suggestion would be to just get some cheap canned frosting and experiment w/ the tips you have to see what kind of swirl you prefer. I’d also suggest that you make a test round of the cupcakes before the wedding… and frost them one day and see how they are a couple of days later– and if you’re happy with that. Sorry I can’t be of more help, but everyone’s preferences are different so it’s hard to say if you’d be happy w/ the result or not. Testing it out is best.

91. postedSep 27, 2010 5:58 PM

I am making cupcakes for my cousins wedding. Any suggestions on where to get the large size cupcake boxes with inserts? It’s probably going to be 90cupcakes. Please email me if you know any good online retailers. Thanks so much!

• September 28th, 2010 @ 3:04 PM

@Katherine, I got lucky with a local place near LA, but I don’t remember the name of the place. Your best bet is to contact baking supply stores, or you might even be able to get a cupcake (or regular) bakery sell you a few. Good luck!

92. postedSep 28, 2010 10:24 AM

I am getting married in May 2011… could you tell me a ball-park price on how much it would cost me to do these myself??… LOVE cupcakes but I’m on a tight budget! Thanks :)

• September 28th, 2010 @ 3:03 PM

@Nicole, No idea… you’d have to price out the ingredients that you’d be buying yourself and see what you come up with!

93. postedOct 11, 2010 6:24 AM

Wow that frosting came out beautifully. Would you mind if I asked what brands you used on your ingredients? I tried the recipe myself but I don’t think my ingredients made it taste very good. I’m sure if I had the right ingredients it would turn out like yours. My frosting looked very similar to yours but did not taste very good. I have a feeling it was the butter I used. Thank you for the pictures they are a real inspiration. :)

• October 13th, 2010 @ 10:39 AM

@Shannon, I don’t buy any special brand for butter- usually just whatever the store-brand generic is. But do make sure it’s “butter” and not any sort of substitute.

94. postedNov 1, 2010 5:21 AM

Hi i just wondered on the thrid picture down with the pale green frosting and the one you are doing in yellow what nozzle is used for the green as it looksamazing ! Thanks

• November 3rd, 2010 @ 9:18 AM

@samira, It’s a 1G tip from Bakery Craft. If you look closely, you can see that it’s a basic swirl tip, but it’s one of the larger nozzles instead of the tiny ones.

95. postedNov 23, 2010 7:16 PM

Hi! Your cupcakes baked so evenly and beautifully! I was wondering what type of pan you use and what cupcake papers. Sometimes I find that certain papers fold in really weird when you add the batter. Is there a certain brand of pan or papers that you prefer? Any other tips on baking an even cupcake? Thanks!

• November 24th, 2010 @ 9:58 PM

@Kelly, I used a combo of pans- one light metal and one dark. No specific brand of liners-just whatever my cake decor store carries!

96. postedJan 20, 2011 12:54 PM

Wow, these are gorgeous! I’m bookmarking this.

97. postedFeb 24, 2011 7:14 AM

98. postedFeb 24, 2011 10:22 AM

Hi, I was wondering what the colors are you used in your frosting. They are beautiful…Thanks!

• February 25th, 2011 @ 5:36 PM

@Lora, I’m not quite sure- the bride bought the colors, gave them to me & then I gave them back to her. They were the concentrated paste kind of color- a yellow and a turquoise color- just a tiny bit of each.

99. postedFeb 28, 2011 7:05 AM

The yellow that you used for the frosting – is that just a basic food colouring or did you use a yellow paste?

• February 28th, 2011 @ 8:07 PM

@Kay, Used a yellow concentrated paste.

100. postedMar 20, 2011 6:39 PM

Was wondering what you charged for the cupcakes you made for the wedding and the cake. I am making 200 cupcakes plus a small topper cake. Also, have you made a video of your frosting techniques? These are so awesome, love your work.

• March 22nd, 2011 @ 6:37 AM

@Lisa, It was an acquaintance of mine, so I didn’t charge too much! I think I got $150 for making 75 cupcakes and a small cake. I’d charge more next time 😉