Salmon: The Underappreciated Fish

Wary seafood eaters sometimes view salmon as that fish with the other color (and thus, avoid it). I can’t even relate to this line of thinking since our whole family devours salmon made every which way, and we have it for dinner at least three times a month. If you’re of the mindset that you “don’t like salmon,” I encourage you to keep trying out recipes. I don’t view it as a fishy fish, especially in the ways that I like to prepare it. I’ll eat shellfish of any kind, any day, but I’m not a huge ‘fish’ eater. I like it, but I prefer to order it in restaurants than prepare it at home. Salmon is easiest to prepare and it doesn’t make my kitchen smell like Fisherman’s Wharf. See the end of this post for a few of my all-time favorite salmon recipes.

Here’s a healthy one I tried recently:
Salsa- Roasted Salmon
salsasalmon1
This recipe comes from this great cookbook that I picked up recently: Eating Well Serves Two. It’s nice for us since sometimes I just make a meal for my husband and me. If I want to make more, I just double the recipe. Perfect.

To make the ‘salsa’ that goes in this dish, all of fresh ingredients are placed into a food processor and whirred a few times to turn it into a chunky salsa. That couldn’t get any easier, could it? I’m not sure you could come up with the same consistency if you don’t have a food processor. My suggestion for adapting would be to purchase a fresh salsa from the store, drain it, and jazz it up with a few of the spices included in the recipe.
salsasalmon2
Usually the seafood guy strips the bones out of salmon fillets for you, but if he hasn’t then it’s really easy to do. Just find the side of the fish where the bones are. If you feel bones poking out, pull them out with your fingers or take some tweezers and yank them out that way.

You can use salmon without any skin on it or salmon with skin on one side. The salmon is placed skin-side-down in a baking dish and topped with the salsa. If you use salmon with skin… when the salmon is finished baking, you’ll just take a spatula and place it between the skin and the fish. It will slide in easily and you can separate the fish from the skin and move it to your plate.
salsasalmon5
20 minutes or so in the oven (depending on the thickness of your salmon) and dinner is on the table. We did not make ours spicy, but you certainly can go that route if you’d like- add more hot sauce or jalapeno. And a side of asparagus and couscous (also quick to prepare) rounds out the meal.
salsasalmon3
This salmon recipe is a keeper- every bite has a nice scoop of that salsa on it. And the best part- only a little over 200 calories a serving. Though salmon is higher in fat than other fish, it makes for a more satisfying and filling meal. It’s a good source of protein and Omega 3’s too.

This recipe can be found here:  Salsa Roasted Salmon
More salmon recipes can be found HERE.

My all-time favorite salmon recipes:
Barbecued Salmon (in the oven)- this is a huge favorite of everyone in our extended family that we’ve been making for years. It has a sweet flavor to it.
Grilled Salmon with Dill Pickle Butter- tried this one last summer and fell in love with it. You have to like pickles and have a willingness to try unique recipes!
Lime & Honey Glazed Salmon with Warm Black Bean & Corn Salad- this is a Rachael Ray recipe that I was skeptical about, but ended up finding was amazing.

28 Responses to “Salmon: The Underappreciated Fish”

Sarah — March 24, 2009 @ 7:07 AM

That looks great! Super fresh and good.

sharon — March 24, 2009 @ 7:11 AM

We definitely appreciate salmon too! I love this version…I’m kinda stuck with the same salmon dishes all the time and this certainly looks tasty!

ingrid — March 24, 2009 @ 7:19 AM

Four out of five of us love salmon and my babygirl eats it once a week. I broil it in our toaster oven for her.

Thanks for sharing the recipe. I’m gonna it a try as well as the lime & honey one.
    ~ingrid

Elyse — March 24, 2009 @ 7:20 AM

Not me! I adore salmon. It’s one of my favorites. So, naturally, I cannot wait to try this salsa salmon. It looks like a totally yummy way to get in my omega-3s!

Culinary Wannabe — March 24, 2009 @ 8:11 AM

I had been avoiding fish for a while with all the mercury buzz, but was convinced by my Dr. that wild salmon is one of the safest types to eat. This salsa also gets in lots of veggies. What a tasty and healthy looking meal!

Laurie — March 24, 2009 @ 8:44 AM

Very yummy! Salmon is never unappreciated in our house.. I think it’s our favorite fish.. :)
    Salsa and salmon.. Great recipe Lori.. can’t wait to try it!

nina — March 24, 2009 @ 9:05 AM

Nothing unhealthy or fattening on that plate!!! Looks delicious and yes, we love salmon too, but here in SA it is very pricey!

snooky doodle — March 24, 2009 @ 10:55 AM

oh I love salmon. Nice recipe looks so good :)

Maria — March 24, 2009 @ 11:23 AM

Josh grills salmon with his homemade mango salsa on top. It is fabulous! I will have to look for that cookbook! Great recipe!

Kathy - Panini Happy — March 24, 2009 @ 1:48 PM

Really? There are people who don’t like salmon? It’s my favorite! And my very favorite preparation is miso glazed – it’s that touch of sweetness that does me in.

patsyk — March 24, 2009 @ 4:18 PM

Looks delicious! I don’t make salmon at home all that often until the warmer months for some reason. I’m marking this one to try – love that it’s a ‘lighter’ recipe.

Bunny — March 24, 2009 @ 4:30 PM

This is a very nice and different recipe for salmon!

Psychgrad — March 24, 2009 @ 5:20 PM

I’m on a big salmon kick! This looks delicious. I really like your napkin rings too.

Eliana — March 24, 2009 @ 7:13 PM

I absolutely love salmon in every way, shape or form and am always looking for new recipes. Thanks for posting this :)

Cate O'Malley — March 24, 2009 @ 7:40 PM

That salmon dish looks so hearty and perfect for spring … if the weather ever cooperates. ;)

Lori Lynn — March 25, 2009 @ 3:19 AM

It looks so healthy. I like your clean style of plating.
    Can’t ever have enough salmon recipes!
    LL

VeggieGirl — March 25, 2009 @ 3:23 AM

Lovely dish!!

Louise — March 25, 2009 @ 3:47 AM

I too like salmon in any way imaginable. I know this may sound silly but I just never thought to cook the salsa at the same time as the salmon. I usually put it on during the last couple of minutes. I will surely try it your way.

Thanks for sharing…

Katrina — March 25, 2009 @ 5:04 AM

Salmon is growing on me. I’m not a big seafood lover. But even my boys like it and I know it’s super healthy. But you’re right, I like having it prepared in restaurants for me more than making it at home. Sigh. ;) thanks for the recipes.

kathy — March 25, 2009 @ 8:25 AM

I always get confused about the different varieties of salmon at my market-and also about farm raised, previously frozen, etc. Any advice? Thank you.

ChefBliss — March 25, 2009 @ 9:42 AM

This looks delicious! We eat a lot of salmon, blackened salmon is my favorite to make, but I’ve never tried it with salsa. Nice!

Manggy — March 25, 2009 @ 10:34 AM

Since I arrived in the States I’ve been enjoying Salmon so much (though it is available readily in Manila) that I have no idea how it can be underappreciated! I mean, that looks absolutely delicious!

RecipeGirl — March 25, 2009 @ 1:00 PM

Hi Kathy- I’m not really all that informed about the different varieties of salmon. I prefer to get fresh, but I find that the frozen fillets at Costco are pretty good too.

Melissa — March 25, 2009 @ 3:46 PM

I love salmon! So easy to make and it’s one of those things that almost any sauce or vegetable or ANYthing goes with. A perfect protein, in my opinion. I love the salsa in your photos. Yummy. :)

Mary Coleman — March 25, 2009 @ 5:42 PM

This looks great, Lori!
    We’re grilling steelhead trout tonight.
    I love this recipe. Can’t wait to try it!

Peter — March 26, 2009 @ 7:27 AM

That salmon fillet and topping looks gorgeous…could eat that now (morning).

courtney aka glamah — March 27, 2009 @ 7:46 AM

Love my salmom. I have some Sockeye in the freezer.Great recipe.

Kevin — March 30, 2009 @ 9:38 AM

That salmon meal looks good!