Milky Way Brownies

I began the day yesterday with a desire to create some sort of candy bar-infused brownie. ‘Snickers‘ first came to mind. The thought of all of that caramel oozing its way through a mass of fudgy brownie sounded like a good idea to me. There was a problem though… NUTS were ruining my vision of the most decadent brownie ever. So I went the route of the Milky Way instead and created:
Milky Way Brownies

The mini-sized Milky Ways were chopped up and added to the batter.

I cut up a full-size Milky Way to include on the top- mostly for aesthetic purposes…

…but then it turned out to be a really good idea anyways. See how good that melty caramelly bit looks on top there?

I couldn’t resist digging into these brownies before they were cooled off. They were incredibly gooey and warm, and would have been amazing with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

Somehow I managed to wrap up the rest and refrigerate them overnight. I love a nice, clean cut on a brownie, and getting them really chilled and firm makes for easier cutting the next day.

The Milky Way bars worked wonderfully in these brownies. The caramel did exactly what it was supposed to do… got all melty and swirly within the brownie. The nougat part melted into the brownie in some cases (causing minor ‘craters’ in some of the brownies that were not a big deal), but it mostly stayed intact to provide a nougatty bite too.

These brownies are my new favorite. DEFinately a must-make-again-sometime-very-soon treat. I was really happy to taste these and then shove them out the door and into the hands of the teachers at my son’s school. As much as I loved them… they would have caused me to fail miserably at making healthy choices. You might like these too- just be ready to share as this recipe makes a TON of brownies- good for camping, parties (or a big family). They freeze well too in individual zips for impromptu snacking. Of course you can try subbing some different sort of candy bar… maybe you’ll create the next best thing. But for now… these are most definitely the best :)

This recipe can be found here:  Milky Way Brownies

54 Responses to “Milky Way Brownies”

nina — April 17, 2009 @ 2:17 AM

You are clearly the Brownie Queen!! Why don’t you start a small Brownie shop and then sell some franchises!!!

Leslie Green — April 17, 2009 @ 3:36 AM

The texture of the brownies is just PERFECT! Just like I like em!!!!

Donna — April 17, 2009 @ 4:22 AM

OMG!! My butt is getting wider just looking at these, LOVE this LOVE!! Milky way in a brownie, life doesnt get better.

Barbara — April 17, 2009 @ 4:51 AM

Milky Way is my favorite candy bar, so I know I would love these brownies!

Michelle — April 17, 2009 @ 5:38 AM

I envy your patience. I can never get anything chilled enough for a clean cut. I need instant gratification or something.
    The brownies look awesome. Thanks for another idea for using up our Easter candy.

marye — April 17, 2009 @ 6:48 AM

wow! Fantastic job on those Lori!

sarah — April 17, 2009 @ 6:04 AM

Those look delish! They remind me of a Ben & Jerry’s ice cream I tried last night – Chocolate Almond Nougat… so good.

Jenny — April 17, 2009 @ 6:46 AM

Gorgeous girl! Don’t even get those in front of me, they’d be gone in seconds.

ovenhaven — April 17, 2009 @ 6:46 AM

Ooooh… I’m drooling over these! I’ll definitely give them a go with Snickers! Thanks for sharing :)

Jamie — April 17, 2009 @ 6:46 AM

I saw you gushing about these on Twitter, and I was waiting for a post to see if you used Milky Ways or if you made a milky way-like caramelly nougatty thing. Brownies with a bite of candy bar in them, what’s not to love? I love to stick leftover peppermint patties in my brownies after Christmas.

Maria — April 17, 2009 @ 6:48 AM

I am a brownie lover, I bet these are over the top delicious!

courtney — April 17, 2009 @ 7:08 AM

I was getting ready to say how can you have these around and resist the temptation! Deadly but good.

ingrid — April 17, 2009 @ 8:01 AM

The brownies look good. I love add-ins but I’m a cheater and use box mixes more often than not.

Your heath cheesecake brownies look really good, too!
    ~ingrid

patsyk — April 17, 2009 @ 8:16 AM

OMG! Those look incredible! I won’t be making those anytime soon, as I don’t think they’d last long enough to share! LOL!

misty — April 17, 2009 @ 11:38 AM

oh my gosh… these sound amazing!

Jeff — April 17, 2009 @ 10:48 AM

Thanks I just realized I have yet to have a Milky Way bar in ages and had to run to the vending machine to get one. Goes great with my Diet Pepsi :-)

Looks awesome and I love this idea.

The Duo Dishes — April 17, 2009 @ 11:15 AM

Pure chocolate goodness.

Elle — April 17, 2009 @ 11:34 AM

Drooling. Drooling! That is all.

Janet — April 17, 2009 @ 12:28 PM

Oh I would so totally have one in each hand right now! Torture!! You’re amazing…

Louise — April 17, 2009 @ 1:03 PM

Is there a better comfort food? And what a marriage. I’m in love, no in heaven just at the thought. There is no way I could wait for them to cool down, NO WAY!

Thanks so much for sharing…

HoneyB — April 17, 2009 @ 1:23 PM

These look SO GOOD. I think when I make brownies again I have to have Milky Way to put in it!! Yummy!

Bunny — April 17, 2009 @ 5:24 PM

Milky Way Brownies!! I love that idea, oh I bet the were incredible!!!

VeggieGirl — April 18, 2009 @ 3:45 AM

STOP IT, STOP IT, STOP IT!!! Those brownies are just too tantalizing!!! :-D

Joie de vivre — April 18, 2009 @ 7:58 AM

Recipe girl, I came here to propose a mini walking challenge to you (I too have been lazy with exercise the past two weeks and thought it would be fun to keep each other motivated) and you ply me with these AWESOME looking brownies!!!! :) I am getting close to that hormonal time of the month and these look so so so good. Thanks for coming by and for leaving a comment! I’m going to try to walk at least 20 minutes a night this week. Are you in?

grace — April 18, 2009 @ 7:44 AM

i applaud your candy bar selection! :)

Joanna — April 18, 2009 @ 8:00 AM

I am not a good brownie baker, and I am currently trying to watch what I eat (I actually watch EVERYTHING I eat – Haha)… but I keep coming back to your page! Geez… I finally had to just print this recipe, and dang it, I will find some function to pawn them off to, just so I canbake them and try one myself. And, I MIGHT give my husband one too. Thanks – I love your blog, by the way. :)

megan — April 18, 2009 @ 8:22 AM

Those brownies look to die for. These are so gonna be a must make some time very soon treat. As soon as I can think of a large enough group to bake them for. I cant have these just laying around. ;)

Elyse — April 18, 2009 @ 8:49 AM

Mmm, these brownies look amazing. I love the idea of some extra caramel and chocolate added into the brownies. MMMM, so DELICIOUS!

kellypea — April 19, 2009 @ 10:45 AM

This was an awesome idea! Perfect way to get that caramelly goodness in those brownies. I was wondering how your brownies always looked so nice and perfect when cut. Cool idea on the chilling! The only thing I’ve made w/candy is cheesecake w/ Godiva truffles we got for Christmas one year. Hahahaha!

bakingblonde — April 19, 2009 @ 11:46 AM

Wow! Great idea, I love placing chopped candy on top of brownies!

Sues — April 19, 2009 @ 2:05 PM

Ahh I love any way to jazz up brownies and I’m definitely loving this one!!!

Tracy — April 19, 2009 @ 6:38 PM

Oh do those look dee-licious!

Julie — April 20, 2009 @ 11:28 AM

Looks like little candy faces peeking up out of the brownies. Bet that would be good with snickers too!

Kathy - Cooking On the Side — April 20, 2009 @ 8:56 PM

Those look so incredibly fudgy and delicious! And they say you eat with your eyes, so definitely a good idea to put those Milky Ways right on top where we can see ‘em :-)

CakeSpy — April 22, 2009 @ 10:29 AM

Oh baby, you are speaking my language with these brownies.

Erin Orr — April 22, 2009 @ 5:18 PM

Oh. My. Word. Amazing. I’ll have to try them. There’s nothing in the world better than caramel. Except caramel in a gooey chocolate brownie.

aoife mc — April 24, 2009 @ 9:38 AM

Oh.
    My.
    Milky.
    Way.
    Brownie.
    GOODNESS!!!
    Wow! I found your blog through follow friday on twitter, thanks to the online pastry chef for the heads up!
    Your blog is gorgeous, really looking forward to coming back and having a good look around :)

Jenni — April 26, 2009 @ 6:58 AM

Good lord–are you trying to kill us?! Awesome! And maybe for mint brownies, Andes or After Eights? :D

Brownie Power — April 28, 2009 @ 6:05 PM

Wow, thats all I can say!!
    I have to bake these brownies this week!!!

Thanks

DACournean — April 29, 2009 @ 2:06 AM

This looks like it could become a family favorite! Thanks for sharing!

corrina — April 29, 2009 @ 7:26 AM

Camping Brownies?

Mr.Greenthumb — April 29, 2009 @ 10:01 AM

lol These just need an extra secret ingredient, to make Milky Way Space Brownies!
    Guess what Im having for diner today XD

Susan — April 29, 2009 @ 1:09 PM

We have been making Milky Way chocolate chip cookies for 50 years. first take the Milky Way minis and press onto a layer of chocolate chip cookie mix. Then squish the mini bars on top of mix. take the rest of cookie mix on top of the minis. bake for 20 minutes let cool cut and eat

Deborah — April 30, 2009 @ 7:11 AM

Although I love snickers, I LOVE Milky Ways!

Melissa — May 1, 2009 @ 11:42 AM

Mmmmmmm. These sound delish. I think I may have to make some of these over the weekend. Milky Ways are one of my faves. Thx for posting:)

Stacey — May 9, 2009 @ 3:20 AM

Holy Moly! I saw these on Foodieview and almost lost it! What a great brownie recipe… I can not wait to try it!

Love your blog!

Janet — August 24, 2010 @ 2:57 PM

These brownies look delicious and can’t wait to try them, but the milkyway i know doesn’t have caramel in it and the ones you have used look more like mars bars to me.

Lori Lange — August 24, 2010 @ 9:32 PM

@Janet, Not sure what country you’re in… Milky Ways in USA are nougat w/ caramel and covered in chocolate. I’m not familiar w/ Mars Bars, but if that’s something similar then go ahead and try those. Good luck!

Laura — April 12, 2011 @ 7:00 PM

Okay, I had to make these and 15 minutes into baking (used correct pan) they were ALL over my oven. Totally leaking over the edge of pan and burning on the bottom of oven. Are you sure a 12X18X1 inch pan is correct. Can you half recipe and try a 13X9 inch? Ended up in sink since the kitchen was full of smoke. Will try again with different pan.

Lori Lange — April 12, 2011 @ 7:31 PM

@Laura, That’s really strange. Sorry you had difficulty. Yes, the pan size is correct- 12x18x1 (half sheet pan) is what I use for most of my brownie recipes. I’ve never tried to cut the recipe in half, but it would probably be fine.

Clare — March 19, 2012 @ 3:47 AM

Mmmmm can’t wait to make this, except I will be making them with Mars Bars, because they have caramel, which Milky Ways in Australia do not have…they are just the malt whip stuff!

theultimatefoodaddict — December 24, 2012 @ 9:23 PM

this looks so rich and yummy. worth drooling over! thanks for sharing!

Natalie — January 31, 2014 @ 6:49 PM

I was wondering how long do I cook these for?

Lori Lange — February 1, 2014 @ 7:35 AM

Here is the complete recipe: http://www.recipegirl.com/2007/04/15/milky-way-brownies/