Brownie Campfire Cake with Toasted Marshmallows & Hot Fudge

I haven’t been here in San Diego for much of the summer, but I heard that there were icky, overcast skies through the month of July. We tend to have our warmest weather in August and September, and summer is definitely here now. Temps this week have been near 100 and not terribly comfortable. Heat makes me sleepy and I can’t seem to get very motivated to accomplish much. I guess I should be very thankful that we don’t see even a hint of the humidity that I experienced in Savannah back in June. That’s some miserable heat to endure in Savannah. In any case, it’s hot enough here in SoCal right now to warrant the making of an ice cream dessert. I brought this one to a dinner with friends a few nights ago: Campfire Cake

This dessert is made in a springform pan. There’s a brownie base and a tub of ice cream spread on top. I used chocolate chip, but you can certainly use any kind of ice cream that you’d like… something that would go well with brownies and hot fudge. The “Campfire” reference comes into play with a marshmallow topping. Then it sits in the freezer until everything is totally frozen.

If you have one of these cool hand-torches, you can use it to toast the marshmallows on top of the frozen cake. You can also put the cake under the broiler for a couple of minutes to toast the tops.

I also made homemade hot fudge– just because I had never done so before. It was simple and yummy. And now I have a bunch of leftover hot fudge in the refrigerator. Mmmmm. It’s meant to drizzle on a plate and top with a slice of the frozen cake, and you can drizzle it on top too if you’re inclined to want a lot of it.

The cake was a big hit at the dinner party- with both kids and adults. The brownie layer topped with the ice cream… and then that toasted marshmallow topping with drizzly hot fudge too… delicious.

Want a bite?

The weather here in San Diego is pleasant year round (which gives us a lot of excuses to eat ice cream). We don’t have any bugs or mosquitos- only an occasional fly (which means no bug spray!) I live 15 minutes from the Pacific Ocean (which is pretty darn cool). And it hardly ever rains (which means I get to wear flip flops year-round). So I really don’t have any business complaining about a little heat now, do I? :)

Recipes can be found here: Campfire Cake and Hot Fudge

33 Responses to “Brownie Campfire Cake with Toasted Marshmallows & Hot Fudge”

Kat Brown — August 26, 2010 @ 1:15 AM

Looks deeeelicious! I love any recipe that lets me use the brulee torch hehe
    I’ve been thinking of a similar idea for a while now – was going to try making a graham cracker ice cream and combine it with brownie and a torched meringue top. This version sounds just as tasty and much quicker to make. Yum. Yum. Yum.

Jessica @ How Sweet — August 26, 2010 @ 3:34 AM

Oh Lori! Yu have totally outdone yourself! I think I need to make this this coming weekend. Holy cow.

christine C — August 26, 2010 @ 5:32 AM

This looks absolutely yummy. We just got back from a camping trip and I think that I might have to make this for the boys. Looks yummy!!

Barbara — August 26, 2010 @ 5:36 AM

Oh my. Those photos are unreal. That last bite has to be just for me!

I know exactly what those Savannah Augusts are like…

Jenny Flake — August 26, 2010 @ 6:41 AM

Oh Lori, this cake is sinful but Yikes I need a slice now! Gorgeous!!

maria — August 26, 2010 @ 6:45 AM

Wow, that is a mighty cake!

Heather — August 26, 2010 @ 6:47 AM

Wow! This cake looks sinful, but so delicious! Yummy!

Lizzy @ LBBakes — August 26, 2010 @ 6:49 AM

Oh my gosh, this is amazing! Recipe of the day award goes to you!

Janet Rudolph — August 26, 2010 @ 7:03 AM

Can’t wait to make this. I love using the tiny marshmallows on top. Beautiful photos

Going Jane — August 26, 2010 @ 7:18 AM

This looks like a little slice of heaven!! I’m now drooling on my computer!!

Mishelle — August 26, 2010 @ 7:43 AM

Oh

My

Gawd

Oh that looks sooooooooooooooo good…

I must try this, my waist line will not thank you but my stomache will!

M

Amy — August 26, 2010 @ 8:41 AM

We had the coolest summer for Sacramento (hovering around 85) and it just hit the triple digits…as the pools are closing, OF COURSE! Oh, the humanity.

Sign me up for this yummy treat…any reason to get out my torch, which is only used when I make Crème brûlée.

ingrid — August 26, 2010 @ 9:48 AM

I’m in! The heat index has been over 100 ALL summer…ice cream cake sounds good!
    ~ingrid

Sara — August 26, 2010 @ 12:12 PM

I love how this cake looks! I bet it tastes even better too. :)

Becky O. — August 26, 2010 @ 1:50 PM

yes’m I want a bite. I love a reason to use my torch!

Amy (Sing For Your Supper) — August 26, 2010 @ 2:22 PM

I can only imagine the BOAT-LOADS of hits you’ll be getting from this cake! I saw it on Foodgawker and immediately clicked over! I’m officially CRAVING this right now!! Genius idea!

Michelle — August 26, 2010 @ 2:27 PM

Oh my gosh, that close-up photo of the bite of cake is droolworthy.

Kitchen Runway — August 26, 2010 @ 2:33 PM

That looks great for a hot summer day (or any day for that matter!) =)

Emma — August 26, 2010 @ 2:51 PM

YUM! would love to try this out.

Do you have a recommendation for a hand torch like the one you used?

• Lori Lange replied: — August 27th, 2010 @ 10:27 AM

@Emma, I’ll have to get back to you since I’m out of town at the moment. I do love the one I have though- got it for Christmas last year!

Kim - Liv Life — August 26, 2010 @ 4:17 PM

Saw your photo on Foodgawker, and I have to say it is one of the best I’ve seen! Absolutely gorgeous! My daughter will go crazy for this cake. Nicely done!

Debs — August 26, 2010 @ 7:07 PM

OK, now your just showing off. No bugs, mosquitos or flies. Plus, hardly any rain etc etc. ‘Huff’ summer here in Spain consists of the bugs etc & sometimes a storm & rain too. But year round decent weather here? NO. The winter is horrible.

Can I come live with you please? Oh & I request you make this cake on a weekly basis too (hee hee)you’ve got me hooked.

Katie — August 26, 2010 @ 11:09 PM

Wow that looks sensational. I love how you could toast it at the table just before serving. WOuld make a fanatsic birthday cake.

Tracey — August 27, 2010 @ 5:22 AM

I live in San Diego too and it IS cool. Well not really, recently, Ha ha. Temps HOT, HOT, HOT! Hey do you have classes? Would love to meet you sometime. You are a hoot.(in a good way).
    Tracey

• Lori Lange replied: — August 27th, 2010 @ 10:24 AM

@Tracey, No classes at this time, but you never know…

• Tracey replied: — August 27th, 2010 @ 6:18 PM

Thank you for getting back to me..

marla — August 27, 2010 @ 7:25 AM

This cake looks unstoppable!!! Oh my, love the way you take the blow torch to the marshmallows. Great looking dessert.
    We leave t-ride tomorrow, can’t say I am looking forward to that heat.
    xo

CarolineAdobo — August 27, 2010 @ 8:59 AM

love cakes you have to use a blowtorch on!

Sues — August 27, 2010 @ 12:16 PM

This cake looks amazing! I love how you simply say “with a tub of ice cream on top” LOVE! I need to try to recreate this!

Gina @ Skinnytaste — August 30, 2010 @ 7:51 AM

My daughter would love this!!!!

shannon abdollmohamm — August 30, 2010 @ 8:41 AM

Wow!!! This is totally amazing…sure trumps the regular ice cream cake I buy from the ice cream shop….your pics are so stunning too!!!

Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) — August 31, 2010 @ 1:05 PM

That is one sinful looking dessert!! Just wish I had an awesome looking blowtorch too!