Pumpkin Shortbread Cookies (Good Coffee Dunkers)

I’ve never been much of a coffee drinker. My body seems to run on natural fuel.  I’m one of those freaky people who can wake up in the morning with boundless energy, slip right into my gym clothes and go hike a mountain. No coffee needed for me. If I drank coffee though, I’d drink one of those fancy Pumpkin Spice Lattes and then I’d dunk away with these cookies: Pumpkin Shortbread Cookies.

These are a refrigerator cookie. Make the dough ahead of time, roll it, wrap it up and let it chill for several hours (or overnight).

The addition of pumpkin puree means that they’re not quite as crispy as your typical shortbread cookie. But they’re a firm cookie nonetheless if you bake them as directed.

A dunk in powdered sugar while they’re warm is a pretty good idea.

These are a lightly sweetened, buttery cookie with the faint flavor of spiced pumpkin pie. It’s a good one for fall, it’s a good one for pumpkin lovers and it’s a good one for dunking.

I shudder to think what I’d be like if I did get a good rush of caffeine in the morning.  As it stands now, I’ve been known to drive my husband crazy by talking “at” him each morning (he needs time to wake up… and isn’t always in the mood for mindless banter at first light).  Guess it’s best if I stick with my decaf Morning Breakfast Tea– with a spoonful of sugar and a splash of milk (and a dunker on hand, for sure).

This recipe can be found here: Pumpkin Shortbread Cookies

You might also like these recipes with a pumpkin theme:
Pumpkin Granola by Two Peas and Their Pod
Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream by RecipeGirl
Pumpkin Pie Milkshake by Closet Cooking
Baked Pumpkin Oatmeal by RecipeGirl

22 Responses to “Pumpkin Shortbread Cookies (Good Coffee Dunkers)”

Estela @ Weekly Bite — October 21, 2010 @ 7:18 AM

These look delicious!

I’m a long-time coffee drinker and love dunking cookies in it! This sounds perfect :)

Kim @ Quit Eating Ou — October 21, 2010 @ 7:28 AM

I’m on my 3rd cup of coffee and these sounds so great! I do admire your ability to go without the caffeine.

Anxious to try these… I’ve always been a traditional shortbread maker and this would be a great addition.

Have a great day!

The Blue-Eyed Bakers — October 21, 2010 @ 8:06 AM

Ok first off, we are SO jealous of your energy! We are like zombies without our massive cups of morning coffee. And second, these look like just the perfect thing to dunk into our massive cups! Delicious!

Judy — October 21, 2010 @ 1:02 PM

I found pumpkin powder that I use to make crispy pumpkin cookies! These look great.

Liz — October 21, 2010 @ 1:28 PM

Yum!! I just made pumpkin shortbread bars – sharing them next week. Such a fun (delicious) twist on regular shortbread!

maria — October 21, 2010 @ 1:46 PM

Great recipe Lori! I can’t get enough pumpkin!

JehanP — October 21, 2010 @ 3:11 PM

With so many other pumpkin recipes, this definitely stands out as original. I love shortbreads so I would definitely love to try this new twist.

Imwaytoobusy — October 21, 2010 @ 5:35 PM

These look adorable and delicious!

Kelsi — October 22, 2010 @ 5:24 AM

these look great. pumpkin and shortbread sound like they’d make a happy couple.

marla — October 22, 2010 @ 6:23 AM

You and I would be veeeerrry scary together in the wee hours of the morning – thank goodness for our computers and twitter so we have devices to “talk at!” These pumpkin cookies look great & I would have mine with a bottomless cup of coffee :) Great pics too! xo

Katrina — October 22, 2010 @ 8:39 AM

These look and sound great. Pumpkin always makes things soft, but these are actually crispy like shortbread, huh?
    You make such a perfect round of dough. I can never get mine so smooth and round.

• Lori Lange replied: — October 22nd, 2010 @ 1:31 PM

@Katrina, Not as crispy as regular shortbread. If you under-bake them, they’ll be softer in the middle. Otherwise, they’re firm enough.

Tracy — October 22, 2010 @ 10:25 AM

Wonderful cookies! Thanks for the mention, too! :-)

Michelle — October 22, 2010 @ 1:32 PM

Love the color – so perfectly pumpkin. Bet they’d be great with my morning coffee.

vanillasugar — October 22, 2010 @ 3:32 PM

oh i’m so glad someone did the shortbread. i have it on my list and was scared to try it. yours came out pretty darn good. i need to think of something else to add to it.

• Lori Lange replied: — October 22nd, 2010 @ 4:09 PM

@vanillasugar, I was thinking mini-choc chips, or a good dunk in either white chocolate or dark chocolate.

the urban baker — October 22, 2010 @ 7:29 PM

simply gorgeous!

Lauren at KeepItSwee — October 23, 2010 @ 5:11 AM

i’m not all that into shortbread but pumpkin shortbread might be a different story!

Lisa — October 24, 2010 @ 11:46 PM

These sound excellent. I love the idea of a pumpkin shortbread. I’ve bookmarked this recipe.

ShelleyBakes — October 25, 2010 @ 4:52 PM

I just made these and oh man … they are amazing!

Sarah, Maison Cupcak — November 2, 2010 @ 3:41 PM

Oh oh oh, I think I have to make these… I’ll keep you posted!

gian ferrari — October 22, 2011 @ 7:50 PM

Loved this recipe, shaped them into pumpkins and added
    a little cocoa powder to a small amount of dough to form the twisted stems.
    Lines on the round pumpkins finished them off nicely. Pumpkin, pumpkin cookies!