These Nutella Shortbread Bars are completely addicting. That’s a good thing… everyone will want to eat them, and you won’t have any left over!
I baked these Nutella Shortbread Bars recently for a party I was hosting. I shared a quick photo on Instagram, and everyone wanted the recipe! Well, I’m finally sharing the recipe.
The nice thing about this recipe is that it makes a lot of bars. You can cut them in small pieces because they’re super rich and decadent. A small bite is plenty! They freeze nicely, so if you want to make a batch and freeze half of it for another event, that’s totally doable. They defrost wonderfully and are still delicious even a couple weeks later.
How to make Nutella Shortbread Bars:
You’ll need a 9×13-inch pan. I like to use my metal pan instead of a pyrex because the pyrex produces more rounded edges, and I don’t like that when I’m making bars. You can use either pan though- they both work. You’ll be making a simple shortbread crust- pressing it into the bottom of the pan, and you’ll save part of the crust dough for the end of the recipe.
After baking the crust, a good amount of Nutella is spread on top. Doesn’t that look like something you could dive into and swim around in?
The Nutella is spread to the edges of the pan.
Remember that dough I said you’d be saving from the crust? It gets crumbled and sprinkled on top of the Nutella. And then the bars are baked.
They come out of the oven in one big shortbread blob with a creamy Nutella center. Powdered sugar is sprinkled on top. And then they’re cut into bars. The longer they sit, the Nutella firms up and isn’t as gooey as you see here.
As I mentioned before, these Nutella Shortbread Bars are quite addicting. Once you eat one, it will be difficult to refrain from eating another!
Here are a few more recipes using Nutella that you might enjoy…
- Nutella Heart Ravioli
- Nutella- Stuffed Banana Cookies
- 3-Ingredient Nutella Truffles
- Nutella Thumbprint Cookies
- Strawberry-Nutella Panini
- Nutella-Swirled Banana Bread
- Nutella Pop Tarts
Nutella Shortbread Bars
- 1½ cups (3 sticks) butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3½ cups all purpose flour
- 1½ cups Nutella (or another brand of chocolate hazelnut spread)
- powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Spray a 9x13-inch pan with nonstick spray.
PREPARE THE SHORTBREAD:
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to combine the butter and sugars; beat until creamy. Add the vanilla and salt, and beat until well combined. Beat the flour into the butter mixture on low speed, just until a smooth dough forms. Divide the dough in half. Wrap one half in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes or so. Press the other half of the dough into the bottom of the prepared pan to form the bottom crust. Bake the crust until it is just beginning to turn light brown around the edges, about 20 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven.
ADD THE FILLING AND THE TOPPING:
- Spread the Nutella evenly over the partially baked crust. Crumble the refrigerated shortbread dough over the Nutella to form a crumbled topping.
- Return the pan to the oven and continue baking until the topping is firm and crisp and golden in color, about 30 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely. Sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar before cutting into bars.
- These bars freeze well. Just store them in a well-sealed container and keep layers separated by parchment or wax paper. Freeze for up to one month.